United Kingdom
http:/lingvolingo.bl
Joined 5222 days ago

8 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Lowland Scots*
Studies: French, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 30
14 August 2010 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
How good is your Korean? On your profile, it said that you are a beginner but are you a high beginner? If so then you might find it useful to type 'Learn English' in Korean into a Korean search engine. I did this with Portuguese because I felt there was a lack of good or affordable resources compared to other languages, especially English and then it struck me that a huge amount of Portuguese speakers want to learn English and therefore there must be a huge pile of resources in Portuguese to learn English on the net. And I was right! This not only gives you more exposure to your target language but I found that a lot of key phrases were had an English translation so even if you couldn't understand the majority of the text you could still get a couple of good phrases out of it.
Best of luck with Korean.
3 persons have voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5385 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 10 of 30
14 August 2010 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
University of Arizona has aditional material in their critical language series:

Korean Arizon
1 person has voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5642 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 11 of 30
15 August 2010 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Po-ru wrote:
Lets Speak Korean TV series - good series, but not comprehensive. Learning a few new
phrases each day is great for your getting around in Korea, but not really great for
in-depth comprehension

How far did you get in the series? They do start off with nothing but very simple "pre-fabbed" phrases in the early episodes but once the series really gets into gear, they cover a lot of grammar and sentence patterns (plus some Korean culture, here and there). I'm only halfway through the series now (there are 260 total episodes in the season I'm using) and I've learned a *ton* of useful information from this series already.

I know absolutely no korean, but wouldn'tmind learning a few phrases. Where can I find the first programmes in this series? I can only seem to find series 5 on youtube.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 30
15 August 2010 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I'd recommend Professor Arguelles' books for learning Korean.

"A Handbook of Korean Verbal Conjugation" is very thorough; it's an impressive reference.

"A Historical Literary and Cultural Approach to the Korean Language" was designed to fill the gap in English-language Korean learning material. As a textbook in isolation, I found it slightly disappointing, but it does sound like it fills a very useful niche. Needless to say, it uses Hangul.

If you go to the trouble to acquire these books, I'd very much like to hear about your experiences with them. Good luck.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5345 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 13 of 30
15 August 2010 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
I know absolutely no korean, but wouldn'tmind learning a few phrases. Where can I find the first programmes in this series? I can only seem to find series 5 on youtube.

Here is lesson 1 and that same youtube user appears to have the rest of the series as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkCvr_m0sI

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5642 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 14 of 30
15 August 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
stelingo wrote:

Here is lesson 1 and that same youtube user appears to have the rest of the series as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkCvr_m0sI

Thanks

nhk9
Canada
Joined 6614 days ago

290 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 15 of 30
08 October 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
You can try NHK radio in Korean or MBC news in Korea. Both websites have video/audio files and transcripts written in verbatim.

Great for advance listening drills.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 16 of 30
10 October 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
I highly reccomend book called Using Korean, it has a lot of grammar explanation, they deal with stuff that most textbook don't mention (because they are more advanced).
So I higly reccomend this book, also, you may try I love Korean online video course (you can find it on Chinese website tudou 我爱韩国语 (I uploaded two episodes or something on youtube too, but you can see all episodes on tudou, it's entirely in Korean).
Also try website ezkorean , they have some advanced stuff too.

Hope i helped.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version