Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 9 of 28
06 March 2006 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Guanche wrote:
Sorry, Andy. I was talking about Chinese Assimil for French speakers!
Anyway, this is a 2004 edition, but it's a revised edition from the mid-eighties.

Daniel,

I guess if I'd actually engaged brain before keyboard I might have asked myself why a native speaker of Spanish was learning......

.....Spanish.

Andy.

1 person has voted this message useful

owshawng
United States
Joined 6696 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 28
06 March 2006 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
InsanePenguin wrote:
Owshawng, I'm waiting for Spanish with ease to arrive, I've also just started Pimsleur Spanish II would it be ok to start Assimil at the same time?

I've only used Pimsleur Mandarin and Asimil Spanish, so I don't know how Assimil Mandarin and Pimsleur Spanish are, but I don't see why you couldn't start both at the same time, especially if you have the time to do both. Although I think after using both for awhile you might prefer Assimil more and more. I don't think there's anything wrong with Pimsleur I and even II, but I think if you've completed II you would find Assimil a lot more beneficial then Pimsleur III.

Brent
Groupie
United States
Joined 6824 days ago

55 posts - 54 votes 

Message 11 of 28
06 March 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
I got bored with Pimsleur after Spanish With Ease arrived, so I stopped using it around lesson 10 of Pimsleur III. I may go back and finish it someday, but for now, I'm really enjoying Assimil.

InsanePenguin
Wales
Joined 6681 days ago

248 posts - 248 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 28
06 March 2006 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
I might just stick with Assimil full time, I like the way it is bite size and I can quickly review previous lessons.

How much have you completed Brent?

Brent
Groupie
United States
Joined 6824 days ago

55 posts - 54 votes 

Message 13 of 28
06 March 2006 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
I am on Lesson 20 today. I have already learned a lot of things in just 3 weeks that Pimsleur didn't teach me in at least 3 months.

InsanePenguin
Wales
Joined 6681 days ago

248 posts - 248 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 28
06 March 2006 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Do things start to click? I got the course saturday and I'm up to lesson five, I can understand all the dialogues thus far and I'm repeating and reviewing lessons whenever I have the chance.

It's so relaxed I keep getting anxious about it, but I need to just get on with it, it has had many good reviews.

Jasel
Joined 6971 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 15 of 28
07 March 2006 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
So know one has any idea when the Chinese Assimil for English speakers is comming out then? Does anyone know how much it will cost by any chance??

duffdude
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 7003 days ago

75 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 16 of 28
07 March 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
If you go to www.assimil.com all courses are available for around 69 Euros (dependant on tapes or CDs).

I don't know about the English Chinese course. But I'm seriously considering ordering the Chinesisch ohne muhe course, even though my German wouldn't be any use!

Has anybody here every used a Assimil course for a native language you do not speak/understand? I'd be really interested to know how you found it?

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version