United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 7007 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 25 of 28
08 April 2006 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
I wonder why they would only offer 1350 words.
1 person has voted this message useful

sky-168
United States
ravechat.com
Joined 6945 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes

Message 26 of 28
10 April 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
I went back and did a recount hoping that I was wrong somehow. However, it looks like I wasn't.

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6993 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 28
10 April 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
This seems to me a general problem with chinese programs.
It seems some of the FSI programs for "easier" languages teach well over 3000 words while "Standard Chinese: a modular approach" probably teaches something along the lines of 2000. I don't know why this is. This is why I have given up textbooks and started with real chinese content instead. The minute you do this your vocabulary is going to grow enourmosly.

sky-168
United States
ravechat.com
Joined 6945 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes

Message 28 of 28
10 April 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Yes, besides focusing on my PCR's, I am enjoying translating the movie Huo Yuan Jia for fun. I recently found a nice subtitle site for Chinese movies. http://shooter.com.cn/ I will then go as far as rip sections of the movie dialogue audio into mp3 and thow it on my Rio mp3 Player for study. I started this last weekend and translated about 200 of the 856 lines. It was so enjoyable it felt effortless. As I write this, I am thinking that Eat Drink Man Woman would be another good movie to rip.

A book that I could compare to Assimil, without the Assimil price, would be "Hello: Practical Dialogues for Home, School, Social Life" ISBN: 7800521060. The book has 600 sentence patterns and a 2000 word vocabulary. I think I only paid a few dollars for it in China.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version