Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Why didn’t Korean and Japanese become tonal?

Tags: Korean | Japanese
 Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
38 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5200 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 17 of 38
15 December 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Pantherus wrote:
However, Japanese and Korean were spoken languages before they were introduced to their first writing system (Chinese).

All languages were once unwritten; writing is a fairly recent innovation and languages continue to evolve and change despite writing.

Most languages in the world are still not written.
1 person has voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6191 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 18 of 38
16 December 2010 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Why didn't English become French?

Edited by zerothinking on 16 December 2010 at 2:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

robsolete
Diglot
United States
Joined 5204 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 19 of 38
27 December 2010 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:

Well, actually it kind of did. . .
3 persons have voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6669 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 20 of 38
24 January 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Vlad wrote:
from what I've learned, it is not absolutely sure, whether the Chinese language spoken at the time of Confucius was or wasn't tonal. From what I've learned the only thing people doing research on the history of Chinese language seem to agree when it comes to this topic is that Old Chinese didn't have the 入声 tone and some theories say that if there was no 入声 then there was no 去声 as well and as a consequence some go as far as to say that Old Chinese had no tones at all. However, we are talking 2500 plus years back and since none of us have been there, no one will tell for sure so saying that the language at the time of Confucius 'definitely' wasn't tonal is a little far stretched.

Jerry Norman's Chinese has a good summary of the topic in Chapter 2. There is strong evidence that the 去 tone arose as a result of the loss of a final -s (1, 2, 3, 4). Pulleyblank suggested that the 上 tone arose from a glottal stop (4), which was further supported by Mei Tsu-lin (5). The 入 tone is characterized by stop endings (p, t, k), which leaves the 平 tone. Of course if three tone categories originally had specific distinguishing traits and one (平) did not, it was characterized by a lack of any of these traits, and thus we have four separate and distinguishable categories, irrespective of tone. So it is quite reasonable to suggest that Old Chinese had no tones, or if it did, that they were redundant.

Of course this theory isn't necessarily fact, and it could be that someone has come along since Norman wrote the book and changed the game completely, but I wouldn't know since I'm not up on the most current research regarding the topic. However, this passage from Norman's book and the relevant articles I've cited seem to still be standard reading for graduate-level Chinese Linguistics courses, so I think it's safe to assume this theory still has currency.

1. Haudricort, Andre 1954. Comment reconstuir le chinois archaïque. Word 10, 351-64
2. Yakhonotov, S. E. 1960. Fonetika kitajskogo jazyka v tysjačiletije do n.e. Problemy Vostokovedenija 6. 102-15. Translated by Jerry Norman in Unicorn 6 (1970), 52-75.
3. Yakhonotov, S. E. 1965. Drevnekitajskij Jazyk. Moscow: Nauka.
4. Pulleyblank, E. G. 1962. The consonantal system of Old Chinese, part 2. Asia Major 16, 121-66.
5. Mei, Tsu-lin 1970. Tone and prosody in Middle Chinese and the origin of the rising tone. Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies 30, 86-110.
4 persons have voted this message useful

CS
Groupie
United States
Joined 4947 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Latin, French

Message 21 of 38
24 January 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:
zerothinking wrote:

English borrowed from French, both during and after the Norman period, but the grammar and the basic vocabulary
of the language is clearly Germanic i.e. the influence of French on English is fairly analogous to that of Chinese on
Japanese and Korean. Loanwords do not a creole make.

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6403 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 22 of 38
24 January 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
OneEye,

there is not much more that I can say against this type of solid argumentation :)

I am far from being an expert and I base 90% of my knowledge only on the things I've
heard on our lectures, but if I look at the whole situation with some distance and
realize that we are trying to prove a slight sound change, or a slight difference in
sound-meaning relations 2500 years back, where the earliest proven recorded sound of a
Chinese speaker that someone actually heard and could compare to modern Chinese would
be with the origin of Chinese radio maybe..is very difficult. I just wanted to make it
safe and say that "probably" Old Chinese had no 入声 and the rest of the following
conclusions is thus even less certain.

We've been learning about the sound reconstruction patterns of Song dynasty Chinese and
then subsequently the reconstructions of Old Chinese. To me, they all looked very
general with many many variations based around several common features. They were just
like you said, mostly groups of sounds where similar traits were appearing or
disappearing. It looked very logical when I saw the reconstruction patterns on paper,
then I looked at a sentence written in the reconstructed language in IPA, read it aloud
and in all honesty I do not believe that someone was ever able to speak like that.
Glottal stops combined with consonant clusters, strange nasal endings.. I cannot
imagine something being sung in that reconstructed language for instance and songs were
a big part of Chinese culture back then (Book of songs, Songs of Chu and so on).

What I am trying to say is, that none of us was there to hear the language and to
reconstruct its sound or some of its sound-meaning specifics 2500 years back based on
characters and the sounds of contemporary Chinese languages (and sounds of loanwords in
Japanese, Vietnamese..) is too risky and complex to prove with a lot of room for error
and thus I prefer to use words like "probably" and "it might be that".

For instance if one very small detail in the reconstruction of Song dynasty Chinese
proves to be wrong, it might imply that a whole deal of Old Chinese reconstruction is
completely wrong too.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5200 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 23 of 38
24 January 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:
zerothinking wrote:

Right, but then French became something else.

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6669 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 24 of 38
24 January 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Vlad,

I agree with you completely. Plus if you consider that there were likely regional dialects in Old Chinese, the
reconstructions are on even shakier ground. I was just trying to put the theory out there with some
references that may be handy, and to say that IF those theories are true, then it reasonable to postulate
that there were either no tones, or that the "tones" were different than we conceive of them now, or that
they were redundant. And, as you point out, that is a big "if."

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version