Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Why didn’t Korean and Japanese become tonal?

Tags: Korean | Japanese
 Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
38 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
morganie
United States
Joined 5222 days ago

31 posts - 41 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 38
25 August 2010 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Why didn't they become tonal? After borrowing the thousands of Chinese characters which are quite homophonic even with the tones, stripping them of any tones, and trying to use them somehow in their languages, they didn't turn tonal and don't show any signs of becoming so. Why didn't this massive influence of Chinese turn these languages tonal?

Edited by morganie on 25 August 2010 at 2:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5070 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 2 of 38
25 August 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
   You could also ask why do they use the characters to begin with. It's true that these languages originated from China but so did many languages from Latin. Many languages took the Latin alphabet but added accent marks etc. Japanese,Korean and especially Vietnamese (which uses a Latin derived writing system) changed overtime.
   I also believe that these differences make each culture unique and interesting.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5564 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 38
25 August 2010 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
When did the Chinese ... dialects develop tone anyways?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 38
25 August 2010 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
I can't think of an example where a language borrowing words from another brought
significant changes to its phonological system. Unless the language has tones, when the
words are borrowed, native speakers can't control the tone, so they can't assimilate
them. Same goes for gender. Words are not necessarily acquired directly from native
speakers of the other language either, so much information is lost along the way.

Moreover, Japanese has a pitch system already and I believe some Korean dialects also do.
At some point in time, we can only suppose that most, if not all, Korean and Japanese
dialects had pitch.

Edited by Arekkusu on 25 August 2010 at 5:10am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6566 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 38
25 August 2010 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Why didn't this massive influence of Chinese turn these languages tonal?

Short answer: loanwords are always adjusted to fit the phonology of the borrowing language.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 6 of 38
25 August 2010 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Now that is not to say that changes over time because of borrowing do not occur.

In Québec French, i becomes lax in closed syllables, making words like bean sound like
bin. And that is exactly what happened to the word bean when it was introduced into QF (meaning
baked beans). However, more recently, the word cheap made it's way into the language and
at that time, the distinction between cheap and chip (potato chips) had become possible.
The same is also true of poule (lax) and pool (tense).

Edited by Arekkusu on 25 August 2010 at 6:00pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5333 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 7 of 38
25 August 2010 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
From what I've read, Korean used to have long and short vowels (as in sound duration, not like English long/short vowels), so many words that are currently homophones, weren't originally such. However, this aspect is pretty much gone in modern Korean.

Skauld
Tetraglot
Greece
sokail-t3h-noobie.de
Joined 5174 days ago

3 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Greek*, Japanese, FrenchB2, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Swedish, Norwegian

Message 8 of 38
02 October 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
CaucusWolf wrote:
You could also ask why do they use the characters to begin with. It's true that these languages originated from China but so did many languages from Latin. Many languages took the Latin alphabet but added accent marks etc. Japanese, Korean and especially Vietnamese (which uses a Latin derived writing system) changed overtime.
   I also believe that these differences make each culture unique and interesting.

If by "It's true that these languages originated from China" you mean that Japanese and Korean (and Vietnamese as you add in your next sentence) are languages derived or in any case genetically related to the Chinese macrolanguage (and I think you mean that, taking into consideration that you draw an analogy with languages originated from Latin), I can assure you this couldn't have been further from the truth. It's true that Chinese has been a majour influence to these languages, yet this is the only relation they have. Other than that, they belong to completely different language families. If you mean that Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese originated in the geographical area now occupied by China, I think it's also false, without me being perfectly sure though. Korean and perhaps Japanese are more likely to have originated somewhere in the northern borders of modern day China, or even further northwards. And this of course doesn't mean that they derive from Russian, just because Russia happens to be there... ;) Similarities between cultures and especially languages are more often than not a result of the needs of commerce, of interminglings of populations and of course of plain old... influence. ;)

Edited by Skauld on 06 October 2010 at 1:08am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version