Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 41
24 September 2010 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
The original question didn't demand advanced or native(like) fluency, only that the contestants can speak languages from several families.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 41
24 September 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't qualify because I only speak languages from two language families (Germanic and Romance) and am learning Turkish (Altaic Languages) and I have no intention to diversify my repertoire onto another language family.

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6811 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 41
26 September 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The original question didn't demand advanced or native(like) fluency, only that the contestants can speak languages from several families.

True, but we have to be careful how we define "speaks" (a debate which has arisen lots of times in the past).

If I were to learn how to hold an extremely basic conversation in 50 different languages encompassing 10 or more families then I would "win" but I don't think that I would, in all honesty, say that I spoke the language and still keep a straight face.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 12 of 41
27 September 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Germanic/Romance languages & Greek & Latin => Indo-European
Esperanto => Constructed
Chinese => Sino-Tibetan
Swahili => Niger-Congo
Arabic => Afro-Asiatic

However, my Swahili and Arabic are still quite weak, they're my goal for this year.

I'm actually aiming at learning languages from totally different language families
because it will give me new insights into computational linguistics. So I'd like to
learn Indonesian next, or a Native American language if I can find someone to help me
with that. I actually signed up for Laoshu's Navajo course but then he set the meetings
at 4am European time... Maori would be fun too, but I have only a few materials.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 27 September 2010 at 9:58am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 14 of 41
27 September 2010 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
Constructed languages as one of the families -- never thought of them
that way. I hadn't noticed, did you drop Toki Pona?

No, never studied Toki Pona, unless you count leafing through lessons. It was on my to-
do list and then I found that other languages were more of a priority.

Quote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
I actually signed up for Laoshu's Navajo course but then he
set the meetings at 4am European time...

Did you notify him of your need?

Yes, I did, and he said he was going to consider other times - seems he couldn't find
any. I also haven't heard any news about this study group. Maybe there were too few
people who could make it. It's a pity, I heard Volte also wanted to take these Navajo
classes and also couldn't because of European times.

Quote:
Would you explain these insights to me? I wanted to diverge from Indo-European
without really thinking about why. Cool factor, I guess. But at this point I'm not sure
what I have gained -- not that I'm complaining.

Well, one of my paid projects is to build some machine translation software which
eventually shall be able to handle more than 50 different languages including Arabic,
Chinese, Yoruba, Indonesian, Aymara, Uzbek and so on, i. e. lots of different language
families. It will use Esperanto as an in-between language. For a start we're working on
European languages of course, but eventually, given the right funding and
collaborators, the system has to be able to deal with all languages. For this reason,
it's really important for me to see all the different ways languages might indicate
things, to get rid of all preconceptions and avoid driving the software into a blind
alley. For example, Swahili uses prefixes for conjugation instead of or in conjunction
with suffixes, so my system has to be able to handle that. Swahili has a suffix that
turns a word into its opposite - my system will be able to handle that as well, thanks
to Esperanto. Arabic does a lot of magic on word roots, re-assembling words, and I'll
be prepared for that. Whenever I come across an alien feature of a language, I
immediately think about how I'll handle that. Then, there's the issue of vastly
differing ways of expressing things across languages, for which I'll also have to find
equivalents. It's fun. I enjoy the new perspectives non-Indo-European languages offer
me, but I also have immediate practical use for them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5370 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Hindi, French, German, Italian, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Indonesian, Bengali, Albanian, Nepali

Message 15 of 41
28 September 2010 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
I speak Indeuropean languages (including north indian), semitic (Arabic, Hebrew), Malay- polynesian (only bahasa), Swahili (Bantu), and Japanese, in which I am rather weak. I guess that makes 5.

It's not a problem to add new language families in my head. Often vocabulary borrowings facilitate. If the syntax is more or less the same as other languages known well, a language of a new family is manageable (syntax even varies within a language family.)

However, the multiple language families wreak havoc with pronouns and numbers in my head. The I, me etc. has m- combinations in indoeuropean, -i ending in semitic, saya in bahasa (don't know Tagalog), and of course watashi-wa in Japanese. New pronoun systems become hard to automatize. Swahili "I speak": ninasema, unasema, anasema, tunasema... forever i think of tu- as thou, but it is "we". As for numbers, I keep forgetting the order of bahasa if I don't use it for long. (Swahili mainly uses arabic numbers.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 41
28 September 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
habadzi wrote:
I speak Indeuropean languages (including north indian), semitic (Arabic, Hebrew), Malay- polynesian (only bahasa), Swahili (Bantu), and Japanese, in which I am rather weak. I guess that makes 5.

It's not a problem to add new language families in my head. Often vocabulary borrowings facilitate. If the syntax is more or less the same as other languages known well, a language of a new family is manageable (syntax even varies within a language family.)

Syntax varies a lot within some language families. Welsh, Russian, Persian, Hindi, Swedish and Sanskrit have substantial differences from each other.

habadzi wrote:

However, the multiple language families wreak havoc with pronouns and numbers in my head. The I, me etc. has m- combinations in indoeuropean, -i ending in semitic, saya in bahasa (don't know Tagalog), and of course watashi-wa in Japanese. New pronoun systems become hard to automatize. Swahili "I speak": ninasema, unasema, anasema, tunasema... forever i think of tu- as thou, but it is "we". As for numbers, I keep forgetting the order of bahasa if I don't use it for long. (Swahili mainly uses arabic numbers.)

This happens within language families too. 'je' is 'I' in French, but 'you' in Dutch; 'ich' is I in German, and 'they' in Polish.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version