linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 33 of 41
11 October 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
What you're missing is that those are normal Esperanto words that you can feasibly find in existing dictionaries, and that an affix system (which, again, is used in normal dictionaries) can be quite helpful.

Maybe, but that's beside the point.

To use Esperanto as an interlingua, you're going to have to coin neologisms for items without any translation, which is no different from coining compounds such as rain-place in English.

The affix system may be helpful, but a machine interlingua doesn't need affixes -- a machine interlingua will (if I remember the classes correctly, but this was some time ago now) represent inflections as a series of "attributes" to the root. An efficient machine interlingua is actually very hard to show clearly as text.

Esperanto's affixes may be useful, but Esperanto doesn't have affixes to distinguish all the known number systems in human use. The ones I've heard of are:

Invariant
Singular / plural.
Singular / dual / plural.
Singular-dual / plural.
Singular / paucal / plural. (And the boundary between paucal and plural varies between languages, too.)

The benefits of Esperanto are minimal against its weaknesses.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 34 of 41
11 October 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Although there's one thing the UNIKOM team certainly have got right:

" UNIKOM deals with ambiguous words in the source language by rejecting them, and requiring the substitution of unambiguous ones. " [www.unikom.org]

A good human translator will always ask for clarification, so a good computer translator should too.

But that limits the target market to producers of translations, not consumers of untranslated documents. It's a difficult product to sell, because the producers have a massive financial incentive to get things right first time, so there's still a massive burden in verifying the accuracy of the translation, which still requires competent bilingual... translators.

I do find this claim a bit strong....
" UNIKOM, LLC. (Universala Komunikado) has developed systems that can provide instantaneous, accurate, and grammatically correct communication networking among natural languages. "

The text that follows seems to suggest that the system as yet cannot provide any translation....

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 35 of 41
11 October 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Volte wrote:
What you're missing is that those are normal Esperanto words that you can feasibly find in existing dictionaries, and that an affix system (which, again, is used in normal dictionaries) can be quite helpful.

Maybe, but that's beside the point.

To use Esperanto as an interlingua, you're going to have to coin neologisms for items without any translation, which is no different from coining compounds such as rain-place in English.

The affix system may be helpful, but a machine interlingua doesn't need affixes -- a machine interlingua will (if I remember the classes correctly, but this was some time ago now) represent inflections as a series of "attributes" to the root. An efficient machine interlingua is actually very hard to show clearly as text.

Esperanto's affixes may be useful, but Esperanto doesn't have affixes to distinguish all the known number systems in human use. The ones I've heard of are:

Invariant
Singular / plural.
Singular / dual / plural.
Singular-dual / plural.
Singular / paucal / plural. (And the boundary between paucal and plural varies between languages, too.)

The benefits of Esperanto are minimal against its weaknesses.

Classic "the perfect is the enemy of the good."

The point is that there are usable dictionaries that go quite far. They're not perfect. The point is that a better system also involves starting from scratch. With unlimited time and funding, that's worth doing. Without that, it's not so clear-cut.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6811 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 41
12 October 2010 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
I'm glad that the Esperanto discussion has moved on. There are separate threads where you can discuss (argue?) this issue at length. On a similar vein, machine translation, however interesting, is off topic. As such, I suggest that any interested parties start a new thread and leave this one to discover who amongst us can claim the coveted prize of "Most Language Families".

leosmith
United States
Joined 6346 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 37 of 41
12 October 2010 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Indo-European: English, Spanish, French
Niger-Congo: Swahili, Sambaa
Tai-Kadai: Thai
Japonic: Japanese
Sino-Tibetan: Mandarin

Wow, I just realized Russian is also Indo-European. It'll be a while before I venture into my 6th family.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 38 of 41
12 October 2010 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
I'm glad that the Esperanto discussion has moved on. There are separate threads where you can discuss (argue?) this issue at length. On a similar vein, machine translation, however interesting, is off topic. As such, I suggest that any interested parties start a new thread and leave this one to discover who amongst us can claim the coveted prize of "Most Language Families".

Iversen offered to split this thread, so I continued posting on the assumption that he'd do so shortly. Starting a new thread would mean losing the older posts, so I didn't want to start one with a split on the horizon.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6346 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 39 of 41
15 October 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I like this thread, because I'm tied for the lead. Can anyone top 5 families?

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 40 of 41
15 October 2010 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I like this thread, because I'm tied for the lead. Can anyone top 5 families?

I can't top you, but I can tie with you. ;)

Here are the families of languages that I speak or study (basically the ones I have listed in my profile).

1. Indo-European: English, Dutch, German, Swedish; Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian; Greek; Russian; Persian
2. Japonic: Japanese
3. Niger-Congo: Swahili
4. Uralic: Finnish
5. Constructed: Esperanto

Esperanto is a bit of a stretch to include there; I used to have basic fluency but ignored the language for several months and forgot a lot, and I don't have any plans of reviving my skills anytime soon.

Within the next year I'm planning on adding Arabic and Georgian into the mix too, so that would add the Afro-Asiatic and Kartvelian families, bringing my total up to either six or seven, depending on whether or not we count Esperanto.

Edited by ellasevia on 15 October 2010 at 2:35am

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version