Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 25 of 41
01 October 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
The idea of statistical machine translation is mainly proposed by programmers lacking a
background in linguistics, yet its superiority hasn't been proven. Let's say that if
Google with its access to unheard-of amounts of texts and funding can't make it work,
then we don't stand a chance. Instead, the UNIKOM system is based on a hybrid approach
and more recent research results. The statistical approach hasn't seen serious innovation
since 1995, that's eons in a science as young as computational linguistics.

As for earlier attempts to utilize Esperanto, these were hobbyist endeavors for the most
part, suffering from lack of expertise and/or lack of funding. They never advanced far
enough to be able to exploit Esperanto's unique advantages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5614 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 26 of 41
03 October 2010 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
The idea of statistical machine translation is mainly proposed by
programmers lacking a background in linguistics, yet its superiority hasn't been
proven. Let's say that if Google with its access to unheard-of amounts of texts and
funding can't make it work, then we don't stand a chance. Instead, the UNIKOM system is
based on a hybrid approach and more recent research results. The statistical approach
hasn't seen serious innovation since 1995, that's eons in a science as young as
computational linguistics.

As for earlier attempts to utilize Esperanto, these were hobbyist endeavors for the
most part, suffering from lack of expertise and/or lack of funding. They never advanced
far enough to be able to exploit Esperanto's unique advantages.

I totally agree with you on this about statistical MT, I would never expect statistical
MT to approach human like translation, no matter how fast it is, unless mixed with some
grammar/syntax rules. I even doubt hybrids. The old adage still apply I think: "Garbage
in garbage out". What is needed is a fresh approach that would really work. The problem
is, this is big business, so no way we will see the innards of these current
approaches discussed publicly, and no way for theoretically unsound models to be ridden
of their bugs. It's like opening Google or Microsoft search technology to competitors.

I am also a hobbyist linguist(?), but I doubt if Esperanto can be a viable intermediate
language; its probably the wrong "sieve" or "net" to catch meaning distinctions for a
lot of reasons, that's why I prefer a new well-thought out conlang that approaches a
more "universal grammar" by considering the full continuum of language typologies. But
do give Esperanto a try and let us know if it worked. If it does not work, you know
more now how to enhance your model and give it another try. I wish you success.
1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6664 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 27 of 41
03 October 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I have a fellow Peace Corps friend who speaks languages from three families.

Indo-European
Polish (native)
English (practically native, learned at a young age)
Spanish

Japanese (Japanese-Ryukyuan)
Mandinka (Mande, learned in The Gambia)

However, when I have thought of language families, I've always thought of the subfamilies. Rarely I find people who seem to speak outside of two or three language subfamilies.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4974 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 28 of 41
06 October 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
me: Polish, English = Indo-European
Korean = Altaic/isolated
Japanese = Japonic(?) or Altaic, or maybe even Austronesian.
Chinese - Sino-Tibetan

They (Asian ones) share a lot of vocabulary though.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 29 of 41
06 October 2010 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:
The problem is, this is big business, so no way we will see the innards of these current approaches discussed publicly, and no way for theoretically unsound models to be ridden of their bugs.

Actually, Google is not very secretive at all about their technology. If you want to get a general idea about how their technology works, watch their presentation. There's nothing secretive about the technology either, because many companies use customized versions of the free Moses MT toolkit
What you consider bugs are inherent weaknesses of the statistical MT approach. I.e. statistical MT will never be 100% perfect, but neither will be a rule based MT system.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 41
06 October 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
I'm tempted to cut this thread up in two, giving the discussion about Google translate it own thread.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 31 of 41
11 October 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
As for earlier attempts to utilize Esperanto, these were hobbyist endeavors for the most
part, suffering from lack of expertise and/or lack of funding. They never advanced far

++disagree

Esperanto has no "unique advantages". In MT, you can create your own interlingua, and you can recreate all the advantages of Esperanto without exposing itself to any of its weaknesses.

And your own demonstration of Esperanto's "advantages" undermined itself, because you can and did make the English words "lightning-man" and "rain-place".

Esperanto is designed for human use so is too small and limiting to use as a machine translation interlingua.

I know you have to put up with a lot of Esperanto-bashing here, but right now it looks like you're being somewhat fanatical. This is not what Esperanto is for.

PS. Iversen, I think that's a good idea. I personally find the machine translation far more interesting than the language families thing, and it could run for a while.

Edited by Cainntear on 11 October 2010 at 10:08am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 32 of 41
11 October 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

++disagree

Esperanto has no "unique advantages". In MT, you can create your own interlingua, and you can recreate all the advantages of Esperanto without exposing itself to any of its weaknesses.

And your own demonstration of Esperanto's "advantages" undermined itself, because you can and did make the English words "lightning-man" and "rain-place".

Esperanto is designed for human use so is too small and limiting to use as a machine translation interlingua.

I know you have to put up with a lot of Esperanto-bashing here, but right now it looks like you're being somewhat fanatical. This is not what Esperanto is for.

PS. Iversen, I think that's a good idea. I personally find the machine translation far more interesting than the language families thing, and it could run for a while.

What you're missing is that those are normal Esperanto words that you can feasibly find in existing dictionaries, and that an affix system (which, again, is used in normal dictionaries) can be quite helpful.

Given the current size and quality of Esperanto dictionaries, this is a large boon for small teams. It's only irrelevant if you want to invest tens of thousands of hours, or perhaps more, getting to the same point with augmented-English or new-interlanguage dictionaries.

Esperanto's "unique advantage" isn't that it's perfect for this - it's far from it. It's that its regularity and the size of dictionaries already available for it are an unmatched combination.

I'm not convinced that using Esperanto as an interlanguage is a good approach, but it does have significant merits over any of the proposals I've seen people come up with in response to it.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version