Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 73 of 80
17 November 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
I would say that the CEFR language levels are mainly focused on adults, not on children learning a foreign language at school.

Fasulye
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5844 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 74 of 80
17 November 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
I would say that the CEFR language levels are mainly focused on adults, not on children learning a foreign language at school.

Fasulye

Not true either! ^_^ I know plenty of school-age people studying for CEFR exams with the idea of passing DELF B2 and/or CAE and/or IELTS, and then studying at university abroad.

Edited by Sennin on 17 November 2010 at 9:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 75 of 80
17 November 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
OK, I can't say it for my own school time, because in the 1970's the CEFR language levels didn't exist.

Fasulye

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5961 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 77 of 80
19 November 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Actually, I may have misunderstood something on the CEFR website.
This doc seems to be official... or is it just an example?

The document I just read has little to do with working abroad, but covers general language competence. Obviously, these skills would be also useful for a professional position.

From the B1 section,

Writing
I can write simple connected texts on a range of topics within my field of interest and can express personal views and opinions.

I can write simple texts about experiences or events, for example about a trip, for a school newspaper or a club newsletter.

I can write personal letters to friends or acquaintances asking for or giving them news and narrating events.

I can describe in a personal letter the plot of a film or a book or give an account of a concert.

In a letter I can express feelings such as grief, happiness, interest, regret and sympathy.

I can reply in written form to advertisements and ask for more complete or more specific information about products (for example a car or an academic course).

I can convey – via fax, e-mail or a circular – short simple factual information to friends or colleagues or ask for information in such a way.

Cainntear wrote:

What I find particularly troublesome is the importance that reading prices and schedules and filling in forms has, because these don't normally require much understanding of the language.

The form filling section is only encountered at the early A1-A2 stage, and is only one small section. The other competencies that are tested include reading, speaking and aural comprehension. As all these need to be passed individually, it would be hard to pass the exam, without some study in the specific language.

Cainntear wrote:
A lot of people here are fluent in several languages but would still fail the A1 criteria in many of them.

To achieve A1 requires between 30 to 60 hours of study, and is a very basic grasp of the language. I don't see how anyone could fail this, but claim basic fluency.

Edited by DaraghM on 19 November 2010 at 4:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

litovec
Tetraglot
Groupie
Switzerland
lingvometer.com
Joined 4941 days ago

42 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: German, Russian, French, English

Message 78 of 80
22 November 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Does anybody know how DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Tests) language proficiency (1-5) levels correspond to the CEFR levels (A1-C2)?
My guess is 1-A2,2-B1,3-B2,4-C1, 5-C2, but I would like to read the references to the linguists' evaluations or your own opinions.

Edited by litovec on 22 November 2010 at 6:23pm

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6421 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 79 of 80
24 November 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
litovec wrote:
Does anybody know how DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Tests) language proficiency (1-5) levels correspond to the CEFR levels (A1-C2)?
My guess is 1-A2,2-B1,3-B2,4-C1, 5-C2, but I would like to read the references to the linguists' evaluations or your own opinions.

The DLPT is merely the military's implementation of the ILR (interagency language roundtable)scale. Other government agencies, such as the State Department and the CIA have their own exams to measure proficiency based on that scale. Wikipedia has two correspondence charts for the ILR and the CEFR scales here.

The gist of the charts is that
1 -> A1 or A2
1+ -> A2 or B1
2 -> B1 or B2
2+ -> B2
3 -> C1
3+ -> C1
4 -> C2

Keep one thing in mind, however. The DLPT exams gives individual scores for each specific skill (Reading, Listening, Speaking), whereas all of the CEFR exams I know of give a single average score based on 4 or 5 different skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening, and sometimes grammar).
3 persons have voted this message useful

aspirelan
Russian Federation
Joined 4934 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 80 of 80
01 February 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Saw some topics and also comments about language competence some time ago. Still find that my ideas could be relevant to this one.

The question of fluency (also judging by the posts in this thread) has always been broad and controversial to discuss. So that still by this moment we can’t come to clear definition what can be understood as ‘fluency’. Ability to talk in different speech situations? Having a broad lexical basis? Mastering communicative skills? Therefore today’s competence approach (which of course has theoretical basis and clear genesis) implies classification of the mentioned criteria into knowledge (as an abstract system of the world), competence and skills (ability to use it). It is supposed that all of them – knowledge, competence and skills stipulate each other and are in close connection: the more you have knowledge, the more competent and skilful you are (in language). However recent surveys show that competence and skills of using knowledge are obtained differently. That’s why we can find people having much knowledge but poor with their language skills (realizing knowledge at different speech situations), or the ones who “didn’t study at university”, but quite competent (able to reveal their knowledge and skills).

The question of assessing knowledge, skills and competence is also difficult. Tests were supposed to evaluate language competence, but as practice shows they are good enough for knowledge evaluation. Skills and competence could be best evaluated in speech situations they are used.

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version