Joined 5258 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 25 of 80
03 October 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
H.Computatralis wrote:

Well, the Turing test is about
evaluating the intelligence of the speaker rather than the linguistic abilities. Granted,
a computer which could pass the Turing test would probably also be able to
communicate fluently in some natural language, but the two are not necessarily
linked.

On the other hand, computer that would pass "Turing test" for native fluency, would
necessarily pass the original Turing test as well. :) (since in a Turing test language is
the 'tool' for discrimination between man and machine)   

Edited by Aineko on 04 October 2010 at 6:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6421 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 26 of 80
04 October 2010 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
leosmith wrote:
I agree that a better definition would be nice. But you essentially only covered conversation. While I may be
considered fluent in conversation in Japanese and Mandarin, I'm short of the mark in reading native materials and
listening to media. What do you suggest?

I suggest keeping literacy out of conversations about fluency. It brings up a large host of other issues. Ability to read is relevant to assessing overall language competence, but not fluency in particular, in my opinion.

I definitely agree with this. My grandmother did not learn to read until she was 62 years old (she died just shy of 100). Yet few would say that she was not fluent in English. I know many people who cannot read and write in their native language beyond the most basic things, yet would we say that they are not fluent? Illiterate, yes, but certainly still fluent.

Edited by mcjon77 on 04 October 2010 at 12:20am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 4983 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 27 of 80
04 October 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I agree - literacy is another issue - there are many languages which are not written and whose speakers have no native words for "modern" concepts and yet,of course, their languages cope with all the complexities of the speakers' lives.

I have never heard of the Turing test as evaluating the intelligence of the speaker, as H.Computatralis states, I thought this was to do with a philosophical discussion of artificial intelligence, that if a computer or any device that communicates could appear to be human it must therefore have some sort of intelligence to be able to adapt its speech - I think the original was a machine and a person communicating by some sort of typewritten display - well enough to fool the recepient of the communication. I suppose this would be a good assessment of linguistic competence, taken metaphorically.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 80
05 October 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I mentioned the Turing test because it seems to me that that the idea behind it could be used for a test for competence.

If a suitably educated and knowledgeable native speaker doesn't discover that you are a foreigner when communicating 1) purely by sound 2) purely in writing then you have attained near-native competence - though in case 2 limited to written skills. The jury is still out on whether you could inversely be mistaken for a native speaker orally, but revealed through errors committed in your writing.

Ultimately the test would be relevant if you wanted to claim that a certain language translator had attained the level of a human translator - though that is still way into the future.

The original formulation of the test refererred to artificial intelligence, but if you wanted to claim that a certain language machine not only could translate, but actually SPEAK (or write) the same way as a human - like HAL in 2001 - then you would also have to acknowledge that that machine was intelligent.

.. gosh, one innocuous reference and so much discussion

Edited by Iversen on 05 October 2010 at 11:01am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 29 of 80
05 October 2010 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
Volte wrote:
Native fluency requires being routinely mistaken for a native speaker.

I couldn't be mistaken for a native speaker of Eskimo even If my Eskimo was perfect as I am not an inuit and do not look like an inuit. It is a bad argument. Stuff like aizuchi and paralinguistic features could also give me away.

I was once told by a Spanish woman that if there was a blanket between us so she could not see me, she would have sworn that I was Spanish. When I was younger I was often told in markets or places where people first saw me, and then heard me speak, that "Oh, I thought you were a foreigner". At which I would sweetly reply: "Yes, people often think that." If people would belive you are native on the phone, that is good enough in my book.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5092 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 30 of 80
05 October 2010 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
It could be argued that a person needs to be good enough to pass himself or herself off as a native speaker in order to qualify as being truly 'fluent' in a language - I can certainly see the intellectual case for this definition.

But isn't this, as it were, elevating the technique above the art?

It seems to me that WHAT a person has to say is ultimately far more important than how correctly or elegantly he/she is able to say it.

Let's imagine we had a choice - we must spend a month on a desert island with one of the following types of foreigner:

a.) A really intelligent and interesting person who speaks slightly broken English

b.) Someone completely dull and boring who speaks error-free English without any accent.

How many people would opt for 'person b' here? :-0

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5240 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 31 of 80
06 October 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
In response to issues that occasionally come up on this board, I think it might be worthwhile to rehash what is involved in fluency.

Fluency implies:
* being able to flowingly engage in spontaneous conversations with individual and groups of native speakers, in depth and for an extended period of time, on most/all topics you can discuss in your native language. This requires understanding the other speakers, as well as expressing your own thoughts in a way understandable to them, even if they don't share any other languages with you. Specifically, this is basic fluency. Advanced fluency also implies very few errors, none of which are systematic. Native fluency requires being routinely mistaken for a native speaker.

I know that many people enjoy talking about fluency because it is a very interesting topic. I do however find it curious that in the midst of all this heated discussion there seems to not have been any mention made of two things.

First of all, fluency has a very technical definition in the world of linguistics and second language teaching. It refers to fluidity of speech and can be measured in very precise ways. Of course, nothing prevents anybody from using the word fluency in many other ways and especially as a synonym for proficiency.

Secondly, there is very comprehensive system of assessment of second language skills known as the CEFR and based of many years of research and discussion. We don't have to use it, but I can't fathom why we don't at least acknowledge the existence of it.

My humble suggestion is that rather than starting from scratch and rehashing for the umpteenth time definitions of fluency or proficiency why not see how we can improve what already has been accomplished?

Edited by s_allard on 06 October 2010 at 3:17pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 32 of 80
06 October 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

If a suitably educated and knowledgeable native speaker doesn't discover that you are a foreigner when communicating 1) purely by sound 2) purely in writing then you have attained near-native competence - though in case 2 limited to written skills. The jury is still out on whether you could inversely be mistaken for a native speaker orally, but revealed through errors committed in your writing.

It's definitely possible. I had a classmate at one point, in an intermediate Italian class. Native Italians were shocked that we were in the same class; at least some of them thought she was a native speaker. Her writing was terrible, though - it was quite filled with non-native grammatical errors.

More generally, I know quite a few people who are very fluent in spoken English, but write significantly worse than they speak, while making very non-native errors.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version