Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 80
02 October 2010 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I agree that a better definition would be nice. But you essentially only covered conversation. While I may be
considered fluent in conversation in Japanese and Mandarin, I'm short of the mark in reading native materials and
listening to media. What do you suggest?

I suggest keeping literacy out of conversations about fluency. It brings up a large host of other issues. Ability to read is relevant to assessing overall language competence, but not fluency in particular, in my opinion.

leosmith wrote:

Oh, and you forgot some things in your "does not apply list". For example, having a relationship with a native
speaker. I know it's silly, but I've heard that qualifies one as fluent more than once.

That is incredibly silly. Added.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5257 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 11 of 80
02 October 2010 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
This site's definitions for basic and advanced fluency strike me as fairly commonsensical - they provide a decent yardstick for thinking about how well your language skills allow you to interact in the language. That said, I'm increasingly suspicious of the word "fluency" - there's too much tangled up in it. We read about the polyglots of old and fantasize about being able to pass for a native in a dozen countries. Then we meet a guy who thinks he's fluent in a language, but that we would never mistake for a native speaker though he gets by well enough. The first causes us to sell ourselves short when getting to C1 - or even B2 or B1 - in more than a couple languages ain't half bad. The second causes us to sell others short when their linguistic competence is more than adequate to their life purposes and evidence of serious effort with worthy results.

If I had to lay down a rule on the matter, I would say that we should, out of humility, claim fluency only if we fit the site's definition of advanced fluency. Out of charity, we should however hold our tongues if someone meeting the criteria for basic fluency claims it. Embarrassment, be it our own or someone else's, is something we ought to avoid where possible. What is most needed, however, is a conception of linguistic competence somewhere south of fluency that still confers respectability. Language is not an all or nothing game, but we tend to make it that way. As a result, we get into all sorts of tedious discussions about polyglots on Youtube and such and instead of celebrating linguistic achievements that are often pretty darned good, we wind up arguing about whether it is good enough to meet a fairly high standard when we don't have a widely understood and agreed upon vocabulary for recognizing anything less than that high standard.

Most of us on this forum are aware of things like the CEFR that do allow more precise estimations of language ability. Yet even here, where we have some sophistication about concepts like fluency, proficiency, what it means to be conversational in a language, etc, we may fall into the false dichotomy of being fluent or doing no more than mucking about with a language and as a result say things that are clearly hyperbole. However, we have the advantage that if words like "fluency" set off alarm bells, we can decide for ourselves how to react. I would say that if someone talks about being fluent in one language or a dozen and he's trying to sell something, by all means be strict about it. But if someone makes a harmless boast - there's no money involved and the exaggerated nature of the claim ought be apparent to those who take interest in these matters - then the matter ought to quietly resolve itself as people of discernment make their own judgments about how seriously to take those claims.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 80
02 October 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
It is clear that "fluency" primarily refers to conversational skills, but I'm not going to scrap it in other situations - but then it should be clear that the word is used in a restricted sense.

For instance there is oral fluency, but also fluency in writing - and with certain languages where your chances of hearing the language spoken by native speakers are minimal your skills in writing could surpass those you have in speaking. My Afrikaans belongs in this cathegory (it is very difficult to find spoken sources), and probably also my Latin -in spite of my recent video in that language.

And there is also passive fluency, which is the thing I have in Norwegian where I understand more or less everything I hear on TV or see in written form. But I have not yet tried to speak it. So I have advanced passive skills, and I'm at most a beginner in the active oral skill.

I would say that my Low German also belongs in this cathegory - I can write it and I have made a video in it, but without conversations I cannot become conversationally fluent. So my passive skills are better than my active skills. In other words, I'm definitely not 'fluent', but nevertheless I do have some skills that shouldn't be shoveled away just because of some restrictions on the general term "fluency".

But apart from that I find Volte's checklist both valid and entertaining.

Edited by Iversen on 02 October 2010 at 9:22am

4 persons have voted this message useful

fireflies
Joined 4991 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 80
02 October 2010 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
n/a

Edited by fireflies on 02 October 2010 at 8:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 14 of 80
02 October 2010 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
If you have to use Google Translate, you're not even at an intermediate level. They
make so many mistakes it hurts and is often not understandable. For advanced fluency
however I'd say that you could speak a language all day without having to resort to a
dictionary, and that speaking the language is similarly comfortable/low-effort as
speaking your native language. I have reached this level in English, and some native
speakers even claim I speak the language better than they do, but I won't call it
native fluency unless I manage to eliminate my accent.

Btw, a respectable level below fluency could be "conversational", i. e. being able to
have basic conversations with native speakers without them trying to find another
language to converse in. "advanced" sounds good, too. Not "advanced fluency", but
simply "advanced", as in having spent a lot of time on the language and knowing the
finer points of grammar etc.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 02 October 2010 at 10:42am

7 persons have voted this message useful

fireflies
Joined 4991 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 

Message 15 of 80
02 October 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
n/a

Edited by fireflies on 02 October 2010 at 9:00pm

Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 4983 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Studies: German

Message 16 of 80
02 October 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
In response to issues that occasionally come up on this board, I think it might be worthwhile to rehash what is involved in fluency.

Fluency implies:
* being able to flowingly engage in spontaneous conversations with individual and groups of native speakers, in depth and for an extended period of time, on most/all topics you can discuss in your native language. This requires understanding the other speakers, as well as expressing your own thoughts in a way understandable to them, even if they don't share any other languages with you. Specifically, this is basic fluency. Advanced fluency also implies very few errors, none of which are systematic. Native fluency requires being routinely mistaken for a native speaker.

The following do not imply fluency:
* Memorizing a few phrases, regardless of how flowingly or perfectly.
* Using a few memorized phrases and grammatical concepts with friends. Even if they praise your progress or ability.
* Using google translate.
* Being able to passively understand a language.
* Having completed a course.
* Having memorized grammatical tables.
* Having memorized vocabulary items.
* Having memorized sound shifts.
* Randomly mutating words from related languages.
* Thinking or writing in some form of a language which makes sense to you, but which does not make sense to native speakers of a language. "Me speeky gud Inglisch" is not good English, and it is not the fault of English speakers if they have trouble with it; it should be acknowledged that this is a problem on the part of the speaker, not a failure of a native English listener.
* Having previously spoken a language fluently, but no longer being able to converse freely in it.
* Being able to talk about a simple, limited range of topics with very patient native speakers.
* Having a relationship with a native speaker.

An interesting middle ground is when someone speaks a language well, and knows enough sound shifts to come up with something native speakers of a related language can understand, as well as being able to understand such speakers. However, most members of this forum would not call that fluency.

An interesting post. I would only dispute that frequently or routinely being mistaken for a native speaker implies fluency. I know French, German and Italian and have been mistaken for a native speaker in both the first languages, but I certainly could not claim to be. I don't think the individuals concerned were flattering me, and I am almost always recognized as an Englishman when speaking Italian. I do try to mimic native speakers as closely as possible, so maybe this is the explanation

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version