Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 58
25 January 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:

Ok, nobody wants anecdotes about the sad life of a poor linguist, and I don't want to comment on the performance of Ziad Fazah, but he learned his languages under completely different circumstances than the younger generation(s).

I am right there with you, and I agree that the circumstances are different. It does however not give us dinosaurs license to claim knowledge in languages which we have forgotten or never learned properly. Noone is criticised for their lack of knowledge, but if you claim to be the world's greatest polyglot, you are really sticking you neck out, and you must expect to be scrutinized. Now I am a language geek, I have on my own or through formal studies looked at close to 15 languages, but I do not claim to know 15 languages. Some I have forgotten, some I never learned much of, and it would be simple fraud if I walked around saying "Oh, I can speak 15 languages". What I do say, is that I can speak 6 (Spanish, French, German(o.k. a little on the weak side, but I can get by), Italian, English and obviously Norwegian) I can understand 100% of two more (Swedish and Danish), and I am learning the 9th (Russian).The other notions of languages I have, serve me as terrific icebreakers, but that is it.

If "The world's greatest polyglot" had done the same, his count of languages might have gone down from 58 to perhaps 15-20. Even that would have however have been remarkable, and he would not have been so open to ridicule.

11 persons have voted this message useful

michau
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
lang-8.com/member/49
Joined 6014 days ago

86 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, NorwegianC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Sign Language
Studies: Burmese, Toki Pona, Greenlandic

Message 18 of 58
25 January 2011 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
If "The world's greatest polyglot" had done the same, his count of languages might have gone down from 58 to perhaps 15-20.

As discussed long time ago, there are no reliable first hand sources available on the internet that prove that Fazah knows more than five languages. And his recent videos aren't too convincing, for the reasons that have already been stated.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5133 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 19 of 58
25 January 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I saw the video and the impression I get is Mr. Fazah imitates bits of language he has haphazardly been exposed to, reproducing a collection of words and phrases he has heard from sundry sources rather than speak a language he has in fact assimilated, thus creating a eerie mismatch of accents, voices and phrases instead of a natural, coherent discourse. This is the case I think with some of these hyperglots, who exhibit great imitative abilities rather than having learnt a language as such.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5086 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 20 of 58
25 January 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Leurre wrote:
I wonder if all people who self studied English thirty years ago had an accent like that.

Of course not. It all depends, but shadowing a 20 hour audiobook e.g. was not an option 30 years ago, it would have helped him a lot, I am sure about this.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
It does however not give us dinosaurs ...

:-)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
... license to claim knowledge in languages which we have forgotten or never learned properly. Noone is criticised for their lack of knowledge, but if you claim to be the world's greatest polyglot, you are really sticking you neck out, and you must expect to be scrutinized.

Agreed, it is not very appropriate. But this kind of superlatives is for laymen, and there may be a financial aspect, so he feels it is necessary to stick at these claims. The pressure could explain the stilted performance in these videos.

1 person has voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6707 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 21 of 58
26 January 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
The Chinese and Japanese are nothing to get excited about either.

The question is, should a higher standard be expected of someone who claims, and I quote, "I was born with a divine talent for languages"?

What is up with the accent he uses at :53 - :56 on the vowel sound at the end of the words Janeiro and ago? He also mispronounces the word video several times (seems to be a trend among the hyperglots)... and says things like "I do keep being the greatest living polyglot in Guinness" and "are set forth as follows". Weird.

Edited by translator2 on 26 January 2011 at 2:39pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 58
26 January 2011 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Short answer: yes.

If I said that I was born with a divine talent for music, and then sang (or played) off-pitch, with bad timing and all that, most would call me a fake/suggest that I went home to practice a bit more (or even give up that career).
4 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 23 of 58
26 January 2011 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Short answer: yes.

If I said that I was born with a divine talent for music, and then sang (or played) off-pitch, with bad timing and all that, most would call me a fake/suggest that I went home to practice a bit more (or even give up that career).

I lot of peple behave here like this and continue making similar claims. I do not see any problem. The problem is in the eye of the beer holder.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 58
27 January 2011 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
A lot of people? I remember only one over the last year, and he did get a lot of negative feed back.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version