Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Dead Language or Constructed Language?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Dead or Constructed Language? (see OP for full question)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
97 [80.83%]
23 [19.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

52 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 4968 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 9 of 52
13 October 2010 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Someone who knew my linguistic dabbling suggested I learn Klingon, but I didn't take her suggestion seriously; I would draw the line at something I consider pretty useless - I like Star Trek, but could never contemplate even learning lines in English or a "real" language, let alone Klingon. I side with the majority, I'd rather learn a dead language, that had real people writing interesting things in, such as Ancient Greek, although I think I might struggle with it. Esperanto I have nothing against, even a slight interest as a means of communication, but the dead languages come first!
2 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6810 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 52
13 October 2010 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
My vote also goes to a dead language.

If I would ever contemplate learning a conlang, I'd rather construct my own than learn someone else's*, although I don't know how many conversations I could have with myself before getting bored :)

* although I must say that Klingon sounds cool.
1 person has voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5386 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 11 of 52
13 October 2010 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Put me down for the Dead Language 101 over any constructed language this wonderfully creative and progressive university is offering. Which language? I had two years of Latin in high school and still have a fondness for it, but, I think I would like something more exotic-Babylonian, perhaps, or Ancient Egyptian.

Nudimmud
Groupie
United States
Joined 4987 days ago

87 posts - 161 votes 
Studies: Greek, Korean

Message 12 of 52
13 October 2010 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
How about both! There is a site that promotes a reconstructed form of Indo-European for use as the Lingua Franca, as it were, of Europe. It is apparently a serious attempt both at introducing an artificial language for international communications and to faithfully reconstruct the nucleus of Indo-European.

It can be at the following link

http://dnghu.org/Indo-European-Language-Europe/
4 persons have voted this message useful

NotKeepingTrack
Triglot
United States
Joined 4962 days ago

19 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, German

Message 13 of 52
13 October 2010 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
I would definitely pick a dead language. Probably Latin for all the literature possibilities. I'm not sure what you would *do* with a constructed language. I've never met anyone who speaks any constructed languages, and I have never found anything I wanted to read in one either.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 52
13 October 2010 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
It seems, not entirely unexpectedly, that a lot of people here really don't like constructed languages.

In the imaginary case, I wouldn't take any of the classes, as I don't really want to study language at a university. I still voted for constructed languages, though, as I find them very interesting as impressive human achievements. I'd want to learn two conlangs. One would be Esperanto, because of its large spread, its usefulness and its literature. Of course Latin has a large literature, but it's not likely to be that pleasing to my modern mind (though I might still learn it for historical reasons). Cantonese has no literature at all and I'm still learning it, so of course literature isn't all, but I'm still interested in the Esperanto one.

Second I'd like to learn a language designed for a purpose other than communication, such as Toki Pona or Lojban. To know that all the grammar rules exist for a purpose rather than as a result of random mutation would make it interesting to study.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6744 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 15 of 52
13 October 2010 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
This was a hard one for me. Constructed languages have the advantage that you can actually use it to communicate with people, while dead languages are connected to a certain cultural tradition to which it will allow you to gain insight. In the end, I had to choose the cultural appeal over the ability to communicate, but only because constructed languages are currently not so widely spoken, which somewhat negates their greatest advantage over the dead languages.

At the moment, I think I'd be most interested in learning Sanskrit.

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4981 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 16 of 52
13 October 2010 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Old Chemist wrote:
I side with the majority, I'd rather learn a dead language, that had real people writing interesting things in
A opposed to the fake people who write in Esperanto?

I'd go with a dead language too, probably Sanskrit of Old English. I have no interest in constructed languages.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version