Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Dead Language or Constructed Language?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Dead or Constructed Language? (see OP for full question)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
97 [80.83%]
23 [19.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
Deerhound
Triglot
England
Joined 4701 days ago

30 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Toki Pona
Studies: French, Mandarin, Esperanto, Greek, Latin, Welsh

Message 41 of 52
03 July 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Difficult! I've chosen the dead language option because I would like to learn Old English but I wouldn't mind learning Lojban at this wonderous learning institution because that's one language I didn't get on well with on my own. In fact, I probably should have chosen the constructed language option. Darn it. Never mind. Anyway, I have already studied two dead languages (some Latin and less Old English) and toyed with some constructed languages (Esperanto, Toki Pona, my own).
1 person has voted this message useful

Suzumiya
Diglot
Groupie
VenezuelaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4689 days ago

43 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 42 of 52
06 July 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I chose a dead language, even though I study Esperanto and I really like it. I would love to be able to speak Old Norse, Sanskrit and Latin. I swear that if I learn 1 of those 3 dead languages, my children will have them as native languages + new vocabulary adapted to the new world + other languages, such as Spanish, English, Icelandic, etc.

It would be really interesting to be the only one who has a dead language as your mother tongue + other languages. As there are already Esperanto native speakers, a dead language is more than possible.It is just a matter of adding new words. Like taxi= taxum (latin-like) haha.

Edited by Suzumiya on 06 July 2011 at 6:45pm

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4911 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 43 of 52
06 July 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
I chose constructed, since I'm not really interested in dead languages, besides maybe Ancient Egyptian and Old English. Though people have a good point in saying that Esperanto is easy enough to learn on your own that it's not worth taking the class. I'd take a Klingon class in a heartbeat, though. tlhIngan maH!

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 44 of 52
06 July 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
I haven't the slightest interest in constructed languages (with the exception of Tolkien--I'm not sure of the reason for this exception). One reason I prefer a living language is the history it's internalized--take most European languages: these have been handed down, generation by generation over the past 5000 years since PIE. The PIE dialects' have been shaped by countless migrations, by the conquest of the Romans and the Aryans and the Persians, by Buddhism and Hinduism and Judaism and Christianity. Learning a dead language taps into that history--a constructed language lacks that close tie to the past (though much of its vocabulary may be imported from a particular language family). I love antiquity.

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5566 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Marathi*, Bengali, Gujarati, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 45 of 52
07 July 2011 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Sanskrit, Greek, Latin, Classical Chinese, Old Tamil! I so wish my life had a restart
button, so that I could start learning these (and other modern languages) at like 15. I
am already 25, and don't know any of these yet! I will definitely try to learn some of
these though.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 46 of 52
07 July 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
On a tangent, do the Chinese learn Classical Chinese with the same frequency that Europeans learn Latin or Classical Greek? Likewise with Tamils and Old Tamil?

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5566 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Marathi*, Bengali, Gujarati, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 47 of 52
07 July 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
I am not from Tamil Nadu, but I am guessing that wouldn't be the case with Tamil. Tamil
(along with Telugu and Kannada) was declared a classical language only a few years ago.
Although, Sanskrit is mandatory in many (probably almost all non-convent) schools in
India.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 48 of 52
07 July 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Funny thing, I voted before but obviously didn't send my answer and I cannot remember what I voted for.

It's a difficult choice. After my experiences with Latin, I can say that learning a dead language is fascinating but on the other hand a bit too dry. Yes, latin will stay with me as medical terminology and that is part of latin which is still alive. And I need to pass an exam of it. But other than that, I have lost my interest during the time with it. I'm afraid other dead languages would be just as dry to me.

About the constructed ones. I never dreamt of learning Esperanto but if I had the time, I would learn one of the Tolkien's elvish languages. I guess I voted for constructed languages than.

Perhaps there should be third option- a language with few speakers. For exemple Welsh looks so different from other languages, so interesting, but these days, no offence meant, it is nearly as useful as those elvish languages.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version