Vietnam
Joined 5174 days ago

97 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Vietnamese
Studies: Cantonese

Message 9 of 25
17 October 2010 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
Everybody realizes this was an April Fools Joke, right?

..Right?!

I sure hope so for the poor farmers sake. God only knows what that sheep was going to say about him...

Edited by BiaHuda on 17 October 2010 at 6:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

retorsion
Canada
Joined 5038 days ago

5 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 10 of 25
18 October 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Ray Kurzweil said the technology existed for instant translation over the phone 10 years
ago, and expected that it would be available early in the first decade of the 21st
century.

I'm sure eventually computers will be able to perform similarly to human translators, but
I think that is still decades away.

Polyglot_gr
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 4906 days ago

29 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, SpanishC2, DutchC1, Swedish, PortugueseC1, Romanian, Polish, Catalan, Russian, Hungarian

Message 11 of 25
14 December 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Although machine translation is far from being perfect, it spares me a lot of typing work. When translating from English into Greek, it guesses correctly about 2 out of 3 words, but they are usually in the wrong place in the sentence and/or have a wrong ending! Nevertheless, my fingers get much less tired now than they did just one year ago!

All other language combinations are translated through English, which means even more gibberish. That's why, when I want to understand a text in an unknown language, I always have Google translate into English!

For a while I thought that I might use it to improve my Finnish, since I would not have to look up every single unknown word in the dictionary. Unfortunately, even simple Finnish newspaper articles are too complicated for Google!

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 12 of 25
14 December 2010 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
It might also be interesting to note that most of the newest versions of commercial CAT tools being sold now have an option to retrieve an MT from Google.

I've used the function a few times now, and it's saved me a lot of work. I still have to make a lot of corrections. *Really* a lot. But for long documents it's a welcome addition to the software.

In the last couple years or so, I've also noticed a new request coming agencies. They're calling it post-editing. They'll give you an MT translated doc and want you to fix it. As long as they meet my rates, I have no problem with it.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 14 December 2010 at 4:00pm

Biscotti
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4941 days ago

29 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish

Message 13 of 25
14 December 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
My experience with machine translations has been that they are good at reading foreign web pages in your own tongue, but the translations are never reliable enough for proper use. Google, for example is unaware of even basic Spanish grammar.

Translation systems like Google are good at guessing the basic idea of what you want to say, but are a long way off a really accurate translation. This is because they rely on bilingual materials such as translated books to give translations. So the computer tries to use the translations to 'learn' the language, but is oblivious to cultural differences, idioms, context and slang. To put it short, machine translations just don't have the 'human touch' to translate effectively.
2 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 14 of 25
14 December 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
응, 나도 동의해 ㅋㅋ 난 민지라고 해 ㅋㅋ 번역기가 짱이야

Yes, I agree ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ I have called school senior translator Finesse

난 김치를 먹어 ㅋㅋ 너무 맛있다   너두 먹어봐

ㅋ ㅋ I'm eating kimchi is too delicious grand Eat

あたしね、鮨を食べたばかりよ!  おいし かったよ! あんたも食べないか? 

俺は太郎だぞ! くそったれめ!!!  

俺様と戦いてえならかかってきやがれ! 

勝目ねえけどさ あははは

俺様はおっぱい大好き! 

毎晩エロい映画を観るよ

Like me, I just ate sushi! It was delicious! Do not eat too?

But I'll Taro! Yours! ! !

If you came and took refuge with our 戦Itee me!

Hey, but there is not the victory of the

Like I love boobs!

Every night I watch an erotic film

Polyglot_gr
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 4906 days ago

29 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, SpanishC2, DutchC1, Swedish, PortugueseC1, Romanian, Polish, Catalan, Russian, Hungarian

Message 15 of 25
14 December 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Despite machine translation failures, automatic transliteration seems to work:

atashi ne , sushi o tabe ta bakari yo ! oishi kat ta yo ! anta mo tabe nai ka ?

ore ha tarou da zo ! ku sot tare me !!!

ore sama to tatakai tee nara kakat te ki ya gare !

kachime ne e kedo sa a ha ha ha

ore sama ha oppai daisuki !

maiban ero i eiga o miru yo

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5845 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 16 of 25
15 December 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Biscotti wrote:
My experience with machine translations has been that they are good at reading foreign web pages in your own tongue, but the translations are never reliable enough for proper use. Google, for example is unaware of even basic Spanish grammar.

It's not aware of ANY grammar. It guesses the likelyhood of certain combinations of words in the translation, given the source text.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version