Iran
Joined 5008 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Persian*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 18
28 October 2010 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
According to this page: http://www.fourmilab.ch/francais/lfrench.html
"you can misuse French In Action to build your skills almost painlessly.
work your way through the videos from number 1 through number 52, one per day. When you get to the end, go back to the beginning and start over again. Repeat until you understand perfectly and have ceased to improve."

But he suggested 1 episode per day, what if someone do 10 or 20 lesson per day? and do it let's say for 1 months or even more!!! I know watching 10 hours a day sounds crazy but in my point of view It's like the next best thing to real immersion!

Generally I am a lazy person, it means I cant use FSI or other methods that need hard work, the only method that I use right now is ASSIMIL and I do 1 lesson a day in passive phase, and because I have time, I review all the previous lessons too.
But in next month, I will be unemployed, and I am single, long story short, I will have a lot of free time besides I need to learn French(for Quebec immigration interview).
So I am motivated and I use the best program ever(French In Action) which uses immersion technique, so what do you think would be the result of this approach?
Do you think putting this amount of time(30*10=300 hours at least) to just watching the videos(without scripts or etc, pure video) has a good result?

plan:
Starting day by
1 lesson of Assimil(New french with ease)
then watching all day long FIA

PS: I want to start this experiment in the beginning of the phase 2 of Assimil(Lesson 50)

Edited by solitude on 28 October 2010 at 10:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6901 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 18
28 October 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
solitude wrote:
Repeat until you understand perfectly and have ceased to improve."

Quote:
Do you think putting this amount of time(30*10=300 hours at least) to just watching the videos(without scripts or etc, pure video) has a good result?

I've nothing against mutliple repetitions of FIA - hell, I've done it myself more than once. However, one thing I wish I'd had first time round was the scripts. There were some sections I repeated umpteen times to catch what was being said convinced I was listening to some new piece of vocabulary only to realise, once I'd got it, that it was totally bloody obvious.

This one has stuck with me forever from Lesson 25:

Apportez-moi une fourchette propre! Cellui-ci est pleine de jaune d'oeuf!

I didn't "get" egg yolk at all first time round. Now, I wonder how not.

Some people don't appear to like the initial use of (tran)scripts, subtitles etc etc. For myself, I prefer to use them to shortcut the time spent on turning the incomprehensible into the comprehensible.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5475 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 3 of 18
28 October 2010 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
Personally, I wouldn't be able to tolerate that much exposure to FIA.

For an account of how someone else studied French for Quebec immigration purposes, feel
free to visit the link below.

link

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/12/29/15258/287
2 persons have voted this message useful

solitude
Diglot
Iran
Joined 5008 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 4 of 18
28 October 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
solitude wrote:
Repeat until you understand perfectly and have ceased to improve."

Quote:

I've nothing against mutliple repetitions of FIA - hell, I've done it myself more than once. However, one thing I wish I'd had first time round was the scripts. There were some sections I repeated umpteen times to catch what was being said convinced I was listening to some new piece of vocabulary only to realise, once I'd got it, that it was totally bloody obvious.

This one has stuck with me forever from Lesson 25:

Apportez-moi une fourchette propre! Cellui-ci est pleine de jaune d'oeuf!

I didn't "get" egg yolk at all first time round. Now, I wonder how not.

Some people don't appear to like the initial use of (tran)scripts, subtitles etc etc. For myself, I prefer to use them to shortcut the time spent on turning the incomprehensible into the comprehensible.

thank you, so u suggest using (tran)scripts even in first round?(without a dictionary?)
u suggest that reading transcript of each lesson right before watching each episode or right after?
u did not say your opinion about watching 10 rounds in one month. Do u think it is effective?

solitude
Diglot
Iran
Joined 5008 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 5 of 18
28 October 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Paskwc wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't be able to tolerate that much exposure to FIA.

For an account of how someone else studied French for Quebec immigration purposes, feel
free to visit the link below.

link

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/12/29/15258/287

ty, I saw that link before, he did not use FIA, but he used FSI(barrons)

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6901 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 18
28 October 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
solitude wrote:
thank you, so u suggest using (tran)scripts even in first round?(without a dictionary?) u suggest that reading transcript of each lesson right before watching each episode or right after?

Reading it beforehand will help get the context and reading it after may help if you note areas which were problematic but what I'm suggesting is using the transcript while you're watching it until you don't need it anymore. Which brings me on to...

Quote:
u did not say your opinion about watching 10 rounds in one month. Do u think it is effective?

There is no magic number of iterations. You repeat it until you can understand it easily - that may be twice or it may be twenty.

Edited by Andy E on 28 October 2010 at 4:03pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

solitude
Diglot
Iran
Joined 5008 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 7 of 18
28 October 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
solitude wrote:
thank you, so u suggest using (tran)scripts even in first round?(without a dictionary?) u suggest that reading transcript of each lesson right before watching each episode or right after?

Reading it beforehand will help get the context and reading it after may help if you note areas which were problematic but what I'm suggesting is using the transcript while you're watching it until you don't need it anymore. Which brings me on to...

Quote:

There is no magic number of iterations. You repeat it until you can understand it easily - that may be twice or it may be twenty.

thank you very much,
Let say at rate of 1 lesson per day I will understand after 3 or 4 iteration(It takes 153 to 204 days). All I want is to reduce the time needed by increasing the rate and putting more hours per day on this without losing the benefit. My main question is:
Do I get the same result? (9 or 10 iteration in 30 days versus 3 or 4 iteration in 200 days). Or doing this way(intensively) will affect the quality?

Edited by solitude on 28 October 2010 at 4:28pm

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5151 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 8 of 18
28 October 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Every course (language or not) tends to point out how learning is much more effective if you study a little bit (say, 10-15 minutes) every day rather than concentrating your work on a multiple hour session once a week.

Since your idea would be to spend a lot of time with FIA every day in order to progress quicker, I'd definitely give it a go. See how it works for you. I'd only suggest taking a reasonable break between each episode.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version