Diglot
GroupieRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4946 days ago

82 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Danish

Message 17 of 20
14 November 2010 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
i use foreign idioms/expression in my native language and i don't know if people will understand me when i use it.

an other things is when i speak fast, there are some word which come in my mind in English, i look for the translation in french but since i don't manage to find it, i say it in English and hope people will understand

but in general i think my native language get worse as i often need time to find the words i need
1 person has voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4925 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 19 of 20
16 November 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Yes... When I speak English I sometimes use French intonations. Sometimes I catch myself replying to my English speaking friends in French. They don't mind. I also say more regularly "The house of my friend", instead of "My friend's house". Another would be "It is with him who I want to speak" instead of "I want to speak with/to him" I'm sure there are more, I'll post again if I can think of anything else.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 16 November 2010 at 11:58am

RealJames
Diglot
Japan
realizeenglish.com/
Joined 4927 days ago

37 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: French, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 20 of 20
16 November 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
In high school, I found myself able to find the French word for "scaffolding" but not the English word.

LOL!

I get this kind of thing with idioms, I practically invent English idioms by translating them from Japanese or French without realizing it isn't English!

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version