Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 36
05 November 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
If you use your native R in Norwegian you would sound American - not quite sure that I am willing to qualify that as stupid though :-).

I know only 1-2 Americans who can pronounce Norwegian properly anyhow. The R is obviously the biggest obstacle, but there are so many other parts that seem to be difficult too. For some reason the Brits seem to manage better - whether that is will or talent I do not know.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 05 November 2010 at 11:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 36
06 November 2010 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Dylanarama wrote:
I have always had major trouble with rolling my Rs and I was wondering how bad it is to
not roll Rs in a language where it is usually rolled. Take Italian for an example if I were to speak without the
rolled r would people understand me? Also are there any languages that have the same r sound as English
speakers do? I can do the R tap thing that is in Turkish and Tagalog but for some reason I just can not do the
rolled r.

C'mon!!!   You can do the rolled R!

1. relax your tongue
2. spread your upper and lower teeth slightly
3. put the flat part of your tongue (just behind the tip) against your hard palate just above where your upper
teeth hit your gums
4. say grrrrrr or brrrrrr or purrrrr - but keep your tongue relaxed and against the palate as the sound vibrates
between them
5. there you go you just did a perfect rolled r!!    

Practice! You'll get it!
8 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5146 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 11 of 36
06 November 2010 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Some dialects of Dutch have an r that sounds quite similar to the American one but I can't say I recommend it. I think it makes the speaker sound rather stupid and annoying.

An American R stands out rather clearly in Dutch but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I think Dutch with an American accent sounds quite cute. And having an accent in Dutch seems to be unavoidable anyway. I don't think I've ever met a non-native who spoke Dutch with a perfect accent. Even one of my relatives' American husband who has been living here for at least 20 years still has a very distinct accent.

Edited by ReneeMona on 09 November 2010 at 1:44pm

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 12 of 36
06 November 2010 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
Some dialects of Dutch have an r that sounds quite similar to the American one but I can't
say I recommend it. I think it makes the speaker sound rather stupid and annoying.

An American R stands out rather clearly in Dutch but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I think Dutch with an
American accent sounds quite cute. And having an accent in Dutch seems to be unavoidable anyway. I don't
think I've ever met a non-native who spoke Dutch with a perfect accent. Even one of my relatives' American
husband who has been living her for at least 20 years still has a very distinct accent.

As is it hard to lose the Dutch accent once you've acquired it. Granted I'm refering to my family here, but they've
been living in Australia for 40 years now and still pronounce a 'w' as a 'v', still rolls their r's on occasion, v's are
still soft and f like, and they still have that overall 'Dutch' sound. Dutch seems to be a very strong and noticeable
accent, atleast when it's combined with the English language. Although when I've heard Dutch people speak
french, atleast to my ears, it seems as though it's much less obvious, if not completely gone.
3 persons have voted this message useful

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5282 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 13 of 36
06 November 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I, like you, could produce the tap but not the full-on rolled "r" in Spanish. This lasted
five years. (To add insult to injury, everyone else in my family could roll their r's--
but didn't necessarily need to because they weren't learning Spanish--and walked around
the house rrrr-ing non-stop to rub it in.) But I compensated with the German "r" during
this time, and after years' worth of trying, I produced "rr" like I wanted. There's
definitely hope. ^^

As far as other languages that have the same "r" sound as English, none come to
mind...English has a very distinctive, almost liquid "r" that I haven't encountered
elsewhere.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Dylanarama
United States
Joined 5250 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 14 of 36
06 November 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
So would it be wise to keep learning the language even though I can not produce the rolled r? Or would that just wreck my pronunciation later on? (I am talking about Italian.)

Dylanarama
United States
Joined 5250 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 15 of 36
06 November 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Also I can make a very odd type of tongue rolling, where it sounds like I am imitating a machine gun but there is also a hissing sound.When I do this it sounds rolled but I can not actually make an R mor like an S. Is this close? Should I keep trying?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 16 of 36
07 November 2010 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I think there's no point in going over it again and again because no description of 'non-canonical' sounds ("what you hear when I try to do it") can be accurate enough; just try it with some real speaker(s) and let them say something. That, or leave a sound sample for us to hear.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version