Diglot
United States
Joined 4626 days ago

5 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 25 of 54
04 May 2012 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Back to the thread's original topic, there are a few more things worth mentioning about how Germanic English is.

As many have pointed out, English has a great deal of words of Latin origin, mostly from Old French. This
stemmed from the Norman invasion of England in 1066, which replaced the English speaking aristocracy with a
French speaking one. What that means for the English language today is that there many synonyms where the
more formal word is usually of Latin origin, and the informal one is of Germanic origin. For example, "enter" and
"come in" are synonyms, and the first is from Old French and the second is Germanic, and "enter" seems to sound
more formal than "come in."

There are also legal terms that were influenced by French. For example, "attorney general" follows the French
pattern of putting the adjective after the noun it modifies.

The new French aristocracy had an interesting effect on words for food as well. Often the name of a particular
dish will be of French origin, but the name of the animal from which it comes will be of Germanic origin. This is
because the upper classes were the ones eating these dishes, while the lower classes were the ones actually
tending to the animals. For example, "veal" is from Old French whereas "calf" and "cow" are Germanic.

So English does have a huge number of French borrowings. But grammatically, the language is truly Germanic.

English forms its strong verbs by ablaut, which is actually present in every Indo-European language, but rarely as
consistent and systematic as in the Germanic strong verb paradigm. Thus there are obvious similarities to
modern German: drink, drank, drunk vs. trinken, trank, getrunken; or eat, ate, eaten vs. essen, aß, gegessen.

English also forms the simple past as well as the participles of weak verbs by adding a dental suffix to the stem:
end, ended, ended vs. enden, endete, geendet.

English forms comparatives and superlatives practically identically: rich, richer, richest vs reich, reicher, reichst.

English verbs can only be inflected for the simple present and the simple past, whereas French verbs can form a
variety of different tenses and aspects without using auxiliaries. For example, to express the future in English we
use a modal construction: "I will go to the store tomorrow"; we don't have an inflection to add onto "go" that
indicates future tense, whereas in French this is not the case.

As someone already mentioned, English's function words, such as prepositions are Germanic. For example,
compared to modern German: to vs zu, in vs in, by vs bei, on vs an, of vs ab, if vs ob, through vs durch, etc.

And even with phrases influenced by French, like attorney general, we still treat them as though they were
English phrases. That is, most people would pluralize attorney general by saying attorney generals, not attorneys
general, although that would presumably be correct, since attorney is the noun. It has been basically reanalyzed
as though it were an English noun phrase, and the -s plural formation is merely added to the end.

Modern German too has many French borrowings, (but not nearly as many as English) but at any rate it has
retained more distinctive Germanic features than English has, so it's more obviously Germanic. English has lost
its cases except for the personal pronouns. It has also lost most of its noun classes, save for a few exceptions
like foot/feet, but even there it lost the umlaut (compare modern German Fuß/Füße).

So on the surface English might seem more French/Latin influenced than it really is. But it's really mainly the
vocabulary that has been heavily influenced, whereas at its grammatical core it has remained Germanic. It has
simply lost or simplified a lot of the grammatical features that characterized earlier stages of English and other
Germanic languages, but hasn't picked up the French/Latin ones in their place.

Edited by Davy Putnam on 04 May 2012 at 3:25am

18 persons have voted this message useful

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4658 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 26 of 54
04 May 2012 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
I have another Germanic point to the English ledger. English does not verb raise the way French does:
     •I always work.
     • *I work always.
     •Je travaille toujours.

I think a more interesting question to ask is how Celtic is English? But that's off topic.
1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4560 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 27 of 54
04 May 2012 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
If Brahui can be considered a Dravidian language despite having a 75% non-Dravidian vocabulary, then English is also pretty secure in its Germanicness. Also, as someone has mentioned before, it may have undergone one crazy vowel shift, but it still has one of the most conservative consonant inventories among Germanic languages - even Icelandic has lost /w/ while some dialects of English have even preserved /ʍ/ or /hw/.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 28 of 54
04 May 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
Pedants always try and insist on "John and I" as being correct
for the subject, and the forbidding of double negatives, Which are Germanic traits,
whereas French happily uses "John and me" and double negatives.

It surprises me because the French parts of the language are usually considered the more
sophisticated or elitist, but here most normal ordinary folk seem to instinctively adopt
the French usage.

French distinguishes between stressed pronouns which are real pronouns and unstressed
ones which are actually verbal prefixes, while in English object pronouns seem to replace
the subject, that's what happened with ye and you.
About double negatives, how often can one hear something like I don't do nothing instead
of I do nothing?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 54
04 May 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
sipes23 wrote:
I have another Germanic point to the English ledger. English does not verb raise the way French does:
     •I always work.
     • *I work always.
     •Je travaille toujours.

I think a more interesting question to ask is how Celtic is English? But that's off topic.

I think English is the odd-man-out here. I can think of many languages where the adverb "always" is placed after the verb (in main clauses, that is).

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 06 May 2012 at 2:13pm

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4653 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 30 of 54
04 May 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
CheeseInsider wrote:
I'm curious to know if English could function if we took out all the Romance vocabulary.

An earlier post linked to a famous article called "Uncleftish Beholding" (which can also be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncleftish_Beholding )

This is an example of English with Romance vocabulary removed.

I think the more interesting question, though, is could English survive with all the Germanic vocabulary removed? Aside from needing replacements for a lot of short functional words, I think it could function quite well.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4439 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 31 of 54
05 May 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Has someone seen this book?

How we'd talk...

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4658 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 32 of 54
05 May 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
sipes23 wrote:
I have another Germanic point to the English ledger. English does not
verb raise the way French does:
     •I always work.
     • *I work always.
     •Je travaille toujours.

I think French is the odd-man-out here. I can think of many languages where the adverb "always" is placed after
the verb (in main clauses, that is).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding: If French moves the verb ahead of "always" and so do many other languages, how is
it the odd man out? That would seem to make French typical and English odd.

But even if French is odd in this sort of verb raising, I think it is fair game to pick on French. It has been a source
of many English words and is likely the reason that people may think that English isn't Germanic. If English is
borrowing lots of French words, why not French syntax too? I guess that was my underlying and unspoken point
for bringing up verb raising in French.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version