119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 42 of 54
10 November 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Has someone seen this book?

How we'd talk...

You mean: How We'd Talk If The English Had Won in 1066. Cowley, D. Bright Pen Pub., 2009. ISBN-13: 978-0755211678.

Yes, it's an excellent book, I have it. Send me a private message about this.

You might find the following titles interesting as well:

The Rebirth of England and English: The Vision of William Barnes. Phillips, A. Hockwold-cum-Wilton: Anglo-Saxon Books, 1996. ISBN: 1-898281-17-3.

Going Native: The Regeneration of Saxon English. (Publication of the American Dialect Society 69). Baron, D.E. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1981. [No ISBN].

Our Englishness. Linsell, T. (ed.). Hockwold-cum-Wilton: Anglo-Saxon Books, 2000. ISBN: 1-898281-24-6.

Pure Saxon English, or, Americans to the front. Molee, Elias. Nabu Press (March 25, 2012). ISBN-13: 978-1278789880.

Germanik English: A scheme for uniting the English and German languages on a Saxon and English bases [!] in such a way as to obtain a language. Molee, Elias. University of Michigan Library (September 29, 2009).

See also here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_purism_in_English

Edited by limey75 on 19 November 2012 at 6:07am

4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 43 of 54
17 November 2012 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
Just a couple more random thoughts.

1. Presumably Scots is more Germanic than English ? I don't know much about the
structure though.

I would tend to agree. According to some sources, Scots (and Scottish English) was
heavily influenced by Scandinavian, but when, some time back, I asked Iversen if he had
noticed many similarities with Danish in his study of Scots, he didn't seem to have
noticed many. (Apologies if I misrepresent you, Iversen).

Everyone knows "kirk" and "bairn", and there are at least a few score more, but why not
hundreds or thousands more, if it was so strongly influenced? Well perhaps the
influence/dominance of English, plus the remaining similarities between English and
Danish perhaps tends to mask the specific Scottish/Scandinavian connections.

There is also the Celtic/Gaelic connection.

Which brings us back to the question raised by someone further back: what of the Celtic
influence on English?   Well, there is apparently none, or next to none.

Which seems a little sad in a way.

However, as has been referred to a few times, it seems that more "Celts" might have
survived the various invasions of England over the centuries than previously imagined,
and perhaps they weren't all driven westward, south-westward or northward, to exist on
a diet consisting solely of leeks, Cornish pasties, or haggis, but are still happily
devouring la haute cuisine of fish and chips like the rest of us.

Quote:

2. Isn't it a bit odd that English and some/all the other Gemanic languages underwent
such major vowel shifts?

Yes.

I believe linguists have some explanations, but I could not give them to you off the
top of my head.

1 person has voted this message useful

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4388 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 44 of 54
17 November 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
going back to the original question, as one who knows no other Germanic or romance language, when I try to read
either, I have to say I find the Germanic languages more intelligible than romance...

boon
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5947 days ago

91 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Mandarin, Latin

Message 45 of 54
18 November 2012 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
zerrubabbel wrote:
going back to the original question, as one who knows no other Germanic or romance
language, when I try to read
either, I have to say I find the Germanic languages more intelligible than romance...

Very simple sentences are often more intelligible in Germanic than Romance.

Die Kuh ist braun   (German)
The cow is brown

However, more complex sentences are usually more intelligible in Romance because of the shared vocabulary.
Think of all those words ending in -tion, -ity, -ible etc.

lebeundlerne
Triglot
United States
Joined 4178 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 46 of 54
18 November 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Just for kicks, I thought I'd throw music into the mix here, since song lyrics are often very informal and similar to
what people use in everyday speech. Take the Beatles' "Let it Be": (I put asterisks around the words of French/Latin
origin.)

"When I find myself in times of *trouble*, mother Mary comes to me,
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my *hour* of darkness she is standing right in front of me..."

That's just one example, of course, but if you look at most English popular music, I think it's pretty good evidence
for English still being a largely Germanic language.

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4187 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 47 of 54
28 November 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
It's been a long time since I read any of the King James Bible or studied the language of the book of common prayer, but both of those could be taken to be solid indicators of the nature of the everyday language. And they are, if my memory serves me correctly, firmly Anglo-Saxon.

Check out the Lord's Prayer.

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

Only the following words are non-Saxon:

trespasses/trespass, temptation, deliver, power, glory, amen.

That's 6 words which are foreign out of 71 words in total...triumphantly SAXON I would say!

Edited by limey75 on 28 November 2012 at 2:18am

Surtalnar
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4184 days ago

52 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: German*, Latin, English, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 48 of 54
28 November 2012 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
English is much more Germanic than many of you think. French is a very Germanic language in its lexicon, intonation, sounding and even partly in its phonetics and grammar, but the lexica statistics for English count French and Latin words of Germanic origin as Romance words, even if they are clearly Germanic.

So e.g. the English word "stuff" is counted as a Romance word in those statistics, because it came through French to English, but its unmistakably a Germanic word of Frankish origin (Frankish stopfon/stoppon, compare it with the German word "Stoff")

Even "ticket", "camouflage", "develop", "embassy", "fiasco", "plaque", "ballon", "abandon", "bondage", "sallon" and "lobby" are words of Germanic origin, but where counted as Romance words.

So you can bring those statistics, which says that 70% of the English words are of Romance origins, without danger to rubbish. (rubbish is also of Germanic origin)

Also keep in mind that Latin borrowed also many words from the Germanic languages and Anglo-Norman is even a more Germanic language than Standard French is/was.

Try to express your emotions in English without using Germanic adjectives, adverbs and verbs -- I'm sure you will fail. English is not more Romanic, than French Germanic is. (French uses for all cardinal directions, many colors and many words regarding war and rural life a substantial Germanic vocabulary)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version