Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 29
18 November 2010 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Hi all. I have been looking through some of the logs of others learning Korean and thought I’d give it a go. It seems like a great way to track your progress and make sure that you stay on that track.

My goal is to be able to have a 5 minute conversation with a Korean native by June next year. I’m not sure if this is realistic or not and perhaps those who have tread this path before me could comment.

I’ve dabbled in Korean before but never really made a proper commitment. I even went as far as a private tutor a few years back but didn’t put in the time outside of the classroom so never really got anywhere. I’ve been wanting to commit for a while now and see this as the perfect opportunity. I catch the train to and from work so have 2 hours per day in which I can study. I also do Hapkido so naturally we have a small amount of Korean involved in our classes. This is one of the reasons I want to learn as I feel it would enhance my overall experience with Hapkido.    

I have quite a few resources at my disposal and I’m still trying to figure out the best combination of what to use. I have the following:

•     Pimsleur Korean 1 & 2
•     Elementary & Continuing Korean – Ross King
•     The Let’s Speak Korean series (which I’m currently downloading)
•     Basic Korean – A Grammar & Workbook by Andrew Byon
•     Other – various iphone apps, Korean primary school readers, etc.

I’m thinking the Pimsleur audio tapes along with the Basic Korean grammar book. The tapes I have used before and got as far as lesson 20 before my motivation ran out. Also, the book looks really well set out with some fun exercises in there. If anyone has tried this book before please let me know as I would be interested in your opinion. I’m a fan of Korean movies so will probably use this as well to supplement and I’ll see if I can get into any of their dramas as well.    

I think one lesson of Pimsleur per day, noting the words and phrases I find useful on the way to work and then studying the grammar and some vocab on the way home from work would be the best way to begin. Does this sound like a good way to start? My only concern is that Pimsleur won’t be relevant to me as I’m not a business man travelling to Korea. Did anyone else have this problem?

I’d love to hear some opinions on my strategy as no doubt you’ve all gone past this point before.

Cheers,
Cameron.

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5460 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 29
18 November 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Have fun with Korean!

My advice: don't use too many learning materials (no more than you have right now, which I think is too much, but that's just me. I read around the boards here and people kept on recommending doing course after course, but learning the same thing over and over again really stunts your progress.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 3 of 29
18 November 2010 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Hi, thanks for that. Yeah the last week or so has been perusing this forum having a look at what everyone else is doing and what is giving them results. It seems to me most people that post are using two methods simultaneously. I just want to make sure what I learn is relevant. I definitely won't be using all my resources at the same time. I couldn't handle that. Just two of them.

Thanks again.
1 person has voted this message useful

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 4 of 29
21 November 2010 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Friday 19th November
Chapter 1 of Basic Korean grammar book.
This was the hangul chapter which I’m quite comfortable with already. Just reacquainting myself. The chapter took approximately 30 minutes.

Monday 22nd November
Pimsleur Korean Lesson 1
As I was listening to this on the train I couldn’t repeat out loud which made this a challenge. I had already done this lesson just over a year ago (on my last try at Korean) so was familiar with all the expressions. This time though, I wrote down all the expressions used in the lesson. On my lunch break today I will do the out loud repetition of this lesson to get the full effect.

I am planning chapter 2 of the grammar book on the train tonight on the way home from work.

Feels good to get stuck back into it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 5 of 29
22 November 2010 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Monday 22nd November – 40 Minutes
I started chapter 2 on the way home last night. I have to admit I was never really that into English study in school which is not coming back to bite me as the comparisons to sentence structures take on more than your standard SVO vs. SOV structure. Having said that the lesson was laid out in such a manner than I could grasp most of the information and then the exercises at the end made me review that same information again. I am starting to get a hang of the different particle configurations. Fingers crossed anyway. This book, albeit I’m only at chapter 2, seems to be progressing nicely.

The whole lesson covered word order, subject, object and location particle markers, the context in which words are clustered, the general to specific or big to small structure and the honorific nature of Korean. All in all quite enjoyable.

Tuesday 23rd November – 30 Minutes
I listened to Pimsleur lesson 2 on the train and again wrote down the new phrases. I’m doing ok at the moment but will definitely have issues in the near future when trying to transcribe some of the phrases. Most of the current ones I already know or have seen written before so have an idea of how they go. Also, as noted yesterday I obviously cannot repeat out loud on the train (unless I want to look like a crazy person) so I will endeavour to do this on my lunch break. Again, I don’t believe it to be too imperative now but no doubt it will be over the next few lessons.

Edited by Coges on 22 November 2010 at 11:37pm

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 6 of 29
25 November 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
Tuesday 23rd November
Completed the Basic Grammar book unit 3 on the way home tonight. This unit covered off Nouns, mainly compound nouns, prefixes and suffixes. Some other useful points were the position o f nouns in a sentence, making plurality and the formation of nouns. It was a lot to take in. I plan to cover off units 1 to 5 and then review them before moving on to unit 6.

Wednesday 24th November
On the way to work this morning I did unit 4 of the Basic Grammar book which was “Predicates & Endings”. I found this chapter the most interesting so far as it covered the six different levels of speech and the four most commonly used levels of speech. I don’t have it down pat yet but it is starting to make a lot of sense in how a sentence is structured and ended depending on whom you are talking to. Very interesting chapter indeed.

No Pimsleur today. I had a short train ride home couldn’t accommodate it.

Thursday 25th November
Lesson 3 of Pimsleur covered this morning. I didn’t get a chance to transcribe the key phrases as I was walking whilst listening. I will come back to this lesson tomorrow and do that. I do have to say that, given I am more committed to Korean study this time I am picking up more of the nuances of the spoken language which I missed when I first listened to these tapes a year ago. Finding it very useful at the moment. I am also finding the combination of the Pimsleur tapes and the grammar book very worthwhile so far.

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 7 of 29
25 November 2010 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
I am also looking into some Korean music but really have a limited knowledge of Korean artists outside of the main boy bands and such which I probably wouldn't listen to anyway. If anyone has any recommendations whilst passing this page for other artists that would be worthwhile checking out please leave me a note.

Cheers.

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5236 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 29
25 November 2010 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
good luck with the studies
I love just poking around Youtube for new Korean songs.
Cool artists to check out are Nell, Rollercoaster, Dynamic Duo, Clazziquai, Epik High,
and then of course Big Bang, 2AM, 2PM...
there's no shortage of boy bands (let's call them what they really are) and girl bands
all over the place, so it should be easy to find some nice music you like. All those
popular songs are so addictive, you wont be able to stop anyway!
good luck

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version