Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Negativity

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
60 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next >>
Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4903 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 49 of 60
26 November 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
I totally understand the feeling of not having your language learning efforts respected. All through my teens, as I tried to learn Swahili, Korean, Ancient Egyptian, Spanish, Italian, etc., people asked me why I didn't just learn French, since it's the other official language of Canada. Now I'm learning Esperanto, and all I hear from everyone is "what use is a language if there's nowhere where people actually speak it?" But, since they're all mono-lingual anyway, I just ignore them. I agree that here it hurts a bit more, since we're all language lovers here. Lots of people here learn languages that are only spoken in one country, but no one says they're useless, despite the fact that you certainly don't need to learn it if you don't live there. That's because we don't always learn languages because we need them. We learn them because we like them.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Cesare M.
Canada
youtube.com/user/CheRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4958 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 50 of 60
28 November 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Yeh and also I myself have been bashed many times because of my language abilities. There are only
about 10 people on this forum that I know that I respect very well because they respect me. Then there's
people that are low lives that want to take away from how gifted I am in languages and it makes me feel
very sad and angry.

Edited by Cesare M. on 28 November 2010 at 7:05pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 51 of 60
28 November 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Stop with the "I'm better than you" mentality and you might get treated better.
19 persons have voted this message useful

Cesare M.
Canada
Joined 4958 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 52 of 60
28 November 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Stop with the "I'm better than you"
mentality and you might get treated better.

I don't have the "I'm better than you" mentality, you do. I am
not saying I am better than anybody or saying that I am
perfect, so yeh. I am sick of people bashing me and other
good people.
So how about you go get a life and stop with your bull crap!

Edited by Cesare M. on 28 November 2010 at 7:25pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4903 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 53 of 60
28 November 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I don't think it's fair to say that someone has an "I'm better than your" mentality just because that person is gifted with languages and is not afraid to say it. While it's always good to be humble, it's also good to be proud your accomplishments.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cesare M.
Canada
Joined 4958 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 54 of 60
28 November 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
I don't think it's fair to say that someone has
an "I'm better than your" mentality just because that person is
gifted with languages and is not afraid to say it. While it's
always good to be humble, it's also good to be proud your
accomplishments.

Yes thank you!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5309 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 55 of 60
28 November 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
I don't think it's fair to say that someone has an "I'm better than your" mentality just because that person is gifted with languages and is not afraid to say it.

This is pretty much the definition of bragging, to walk around and let people know about your "gift with languages". No-one will like you better for it, many people will resent it. If it is in this context that you meet with "negativity", I don't blame your tormentors in the least. Why should they have to put up with that? How long would you stand a person that regularly lets you know how good they are at throwing darts, collecting stamps, or some other hobby that you think is pretty useless?

But what about the rest of you that have been bashed, could you give examples of situations where this happens. I'm not overstating it when I say that I have never encountered any sort of negativity towards learning, especially not languages. Neither against me nor anyone else, and I have a very hard time even imagining how it could come about. If anything, I find people unduly impressed by linguistic knowledge, "wow, does he really speak language X, tell me more!"

12 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5437 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 56 of 60
28 November 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
1.) Where in my post did I bash you? Nowhere. I gave you advice. I think it's great that you have knowledge in many languages, but going around and "bragging" isn't helping you.

2.) Where in my post did I exhibit a trait of superiority? I never said "Oh, yeah, I'm so great because I'm learning Korean and Japanese concurrently." Just because you have issues with people, don't put lies into my post and refute a lie. It makes you look less intelligent than you probably are.

3.) Grow up. I didn't bash you. I didn't say anywhere in my one sentence post that you're a fraud or that I'm better than anyone else. And as for that PM you sent, that really shows your maturity. No wonder why you're bashing me over giving you advice. You're really insecure about your language abilities and attack anyone who gives you criticism, whether positive or negative. And when someone agrees with you, you prance around like an emphatic cheerleader to make yourself look downright dumb.

4.) I'm done in this thread because I'm going to get another PM from you where you make up lies, refute the lies you made up, piss and moan, and come back here and find another post to cheer lead.

Edited by The Real CZ on 28 November 2010 at 7:43pm

18 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version