Joined 6038 days ago

86 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, NorwegianC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Sign Language
Studies: Burmese, Toki Pona, Greenlandic

Message 25 of 64
14 December 2010 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
lloydkirk wrote:
I think the original trade unions were probably justified. However, today, they are not and they frequently employ unethical tactics. Strikebreakers are intimidated, employer property is damaged,etc..When such coercision is used, this is no longer free-market self-interest in the same way robbing a bank isn't. Force is used to acheive the result, as oppose a voluntary transaction.

So in the U.S. damaging somebody's property is not a criminal offence when done by trade unionists? Now I understand why you don't like trade unions there. Good there is no such rule in Europe.
3 persons have voted this message useful

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4986 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 26 of 64
14 December 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:

There are also differences in the interest rate applied to the loan. Currently there is
a subsidised interest rate of 1.5% for everyone but this will be changed to 0% for
everyone with an income between £21,000 and £41,000 and to 3% plus inflation for anyone
earning above that. The government have supposedly calculated that the lowest paid
graduates will end up paying less under the new system than the current one, so those
from the poorest backgrounds shouldn't be too put off. If you earn less than £21,000
you don't need to pay a thing.

Wow. My student loans are subsidized here as well but are much higher. I also had work-study when I was an undergrad.
1 person has voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5798 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 27 of 64
15 December 2010 at 1:50am | IP Logged 

Edited by carlonove on 20 December 2010 at 9:20pm

Faraday
United States
Joined 5930 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 28 of 64
15 December 2010 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
This is a stimulating dicussion, I'm sure. I'm just uncertain how it pertains to languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vientito
Canada
Joined 6150 days ago

212 posts - 281 votes 

Message 29 of 64
15 December 2010 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
People still suffer to distinguish between a degree and an education. If people are quitting to attend universities en masse and set up an alternative system to educate themselves, guess who would be desperate. People seldom realize how much power they have over their elites. If only they act in unison!

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5823 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 30 of 64
15 December 2010 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Yes, but where's the money coming from?

Comparing the cost of a full time university language course with training courses from commercial language trainers doesn't look good.

English university tuition fees for one year are currently capped around £3000. That's for a notional 1200 hours of learning, making £2.50 an hour.
Doubling that to £6000 makes it about £5 an hour.

Taking the first Google result for "Language Courses London", Baker St offer 10 week courses, 2 hours a week for £185 and £195. -- almost £10 an hour.

There's no economical alternative to a university.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6350 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 31 of 64
15 December 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
lloydkirk, what do labor unions have to do with differences in higher education in the the US and the UK, specifically England? But since you brought it up, do you realize that labor unions in the the US represent a tiny percentage of the workforce(your side has been winning for decades now)? The AFT(American Federation of Teachers) is the main union for university professors in the U.S., what exactly is your problem with it? Maybe you're bitter that union members, at least the Teamsters, can put in their 25-30 years, collecting a decent pension at 45 years old? Whatever the thoughts are on labor unions and the economy, these are the parameters in which all of us have to play in. Why should you alone independently define what's fair?

Reality check: you're not special.   

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4926 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 32 of 64
16 December 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
France is also better choice, given the price. The tuition fees in France are about 200-300 Euro per academic year.

I'd rather pay £9000 a year for real tuition.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version