Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4983 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 49 of 64
20 December 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Letting people pay for the services they use is not an evil.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 50 of 64
20 December 2010 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
HenryMW wrote:
Letting people pay for the services they use is not an evil.

No, but the end result is that parents pay for the services, when it is the students that are the users. The student is therefore not at university purely on his own merits, but partly down to the good fortune to be born to well-off parents. That ain't right.
1 person has voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5227 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 51 of 64
20 December 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
Indeed, I had to shake my head when I saw the
extent of the protests. I bet quite a
large number of people at those protests would have thought twice about going out
marching had they bothered to educate themselves fully about how these changes were to
be brought about and what other changes would be made to the system other than just the
rise in fees.

So you automatically assume that they're protesting out of ignorance of the proposed
changes, rather than disagreeing with them?

The government can spin it all they want, but this does make education more
expensive. The question is whether it's a "necessary evil" or not. I don't think it
is. But as I said, the closure of the technical colleges painted the universities into
a corner, and no-one's willing to fix the underlying problem of universities as a one-
size-fits-all strategy.

Considering how I keep hearing from so many people that their biggest problem with the
changes is that they will put off poorer people from going to university, I start to
wonder if many of the protesters have looked at the full details. Many of my fellow
students at my college have been very much up in arms about it but when I have a
discussion about it I find that most haven't looked into it and didn't know about
things like the reduction of the interest rate to zero for those earning <£41k and the
increase of the threshold for paying back your fees to £21k from £15k.

It just amazes me how few people seem to know the full details and have a serious knee-
erk reaction against it. Most of those people I spoke to who I told about the change in
the payment threshold and interest rate began to see the change as not being quite as
bad as they thought.

While I am sure many of the protesters do know the full details, I suspect a high
number also don't, based on the conversations I have had with many students.

I feel quite ambivalent towards the changes. I don't like the fact that the overall
amount I will need to pay in the long run has increased but I feel like the sting isn't
too bad when you consider the other changes made to the system that could be seen as an
improvement. If people have looked at the full details and think it is a totally
unnecessary change and a bad one at that, completely fair enough to them if they want
to demonstrate. However it does irritate me when I see so many people having a very
strong opinion about it who might perhaps go out and demonstrate without having
investigated anything about it. Still, they have the right to do as they choose.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5227 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Studies: Norwegian

Message 52 of 64
20 December 2010 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
HenryMW wrote:
Letting people pay for the services they use is not
an evil.

No, but the end result is that parents pay for the services, when it is the students
that are the users. The student is therefore not at university purely on his own
merits, but partly down to the good fortune to be born to well-off parents. That ain't
right.

Just wondering where the parents come into it when nothing need be paid until the
graduate is earning above a certain threshold and when the money is taken from their
salary?

I completely agree with you about the idea of having to pay fees up front is not a good
thing. My parents can't afford to pay my fees up front but they won't have to, I will
start paying the fees once I get an over £21k paying job.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6081 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 53 of 64
20 December 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I went to university in the 1980s, when there were still outright grants for less well-off students, such as myself. Then student loans and tuition fees were brought in, and now the fees are to be increased dramatically. All in all, it is being made more and more difficult for the less well-off to afford higher education.

Some of the outrage which has brought students out is the perception that this latest turn of the screw is the work of a Conservative-led government headed up by people from wealthy families who never had to worry about the cost of education.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5154 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 54 of 64
20 December 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Europeans believe that declaring a good a "human right" makes the inanimate earth spring up and materialize into whatever thing they desire. Their countries might be bankrupt, but to reduce benefits whose cost far outstrip revenues is considered an affront against all that is Good and Holy. They produce 10 apples and demand they be allowed to consume 20 - after all, it is their God-given right to be happy, damned be arithmetic.

Europe's wholesale denial of rationality is quite a spectacle to behold.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 55 of 64
20 December 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Europeans believe that declaring a good a "human right" makes the inanimate earth spring up and materialize into whatever thing they desire. Their countries might be bankrupt, but to reduce benefits whose cost far outstrip revenues is considered an affront against all that is Good and Holy. They produce 10 apples and demand they be allowed to consume 20 - after all, it is their God-given right to be happy, damned be arithmetic.

Europe's wholesale denial of rationality is quite a spectacle to behold.

There is nothing irrational about recognising that there is no economic growth without economic investment. The net worth of graduates to society is greater than the cost.

Or that should be the case. Implicit in the threshold for payback of loans is the admission that some degrees are not of great value. The problem is the existance of these so-called "Mickey Mouse" degrees. Replace them with a more appropriate means of vocational training and the funding problem will be ended.
4 persons have voted this message useful

palfrey
Canada
Joined 5082 days ago

81 posts - 180 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 56 of 64
20 December 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
What is the situation in Scotland and Wales? Will they be able to avoid what England is going through? Or do some hard decisions lie ahead for them as well?

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version