Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 1 of 83
13 December 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
How does one acquire near-native pronunciation?

Do people often tell you they thought your L2 (or +) was your native language? If so, how did you do it?

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5954 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 2 of 83
13 December 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I've had those experiences in Greek, Spanish, French, and Brazilian Portuguese. I would venture to say that the key is to have lots of exposure and listen a lot, but I know that lots of people do that and still struggle with their accent, so... Also, I used relatively few audio materials while learning Portuguese, so I'm not even sure how I managed to achieve what is apparently a very good accent. However, I learned (or started learning) all of these languages while I was young, before I was six for the first two and before I was fourteen for the second two.

Greek - Family language, so I had exposure as a child, so it would be natural that I have native-like pronunciation.

Spanish - School language when I was little, so I also had lots of exposure at a young age.

French - Started learning when I was around 12-13... Some people from France were staying with us this summer and I tried to speak with them in French as much as possible. They said that if they had to say where I was from (besides France) based on my accent, they would have said Québec.

Portuguese - Started shortly after French, at age 12-13. Every Brazilian I've ever spoken to or have had my pronunciation evaluated by said that its very close to a native pronunciation...
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 83
14 December 2010 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't say that I have a native accent, but it definitely non-Swedish (and fairly "American"). In Germany they say I sound American, in Ireland I've been taken for a native (at least by people who aren't native English speakers), and a Canadian (by a native Irish). Sometimes I adapt to the surrounding accent, sometimes I speak with an entirely different accent... I don't know why. It just happens.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6169 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 4 of 83
14 December 2010 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
My experiences from playing the piano has taught me that listening to yourself is actually a hard-acquired skill.

A couple of years ago, it was always an unpleasant shock to listen to recordings of my own piano playing: what!? did I do that pause?, and that thing sounds horrible, I thought I played it perfectly.. etc.

The remedy to this is quite simple: Listen a lot to natives' speech so you know how it should sound. Then, record yourself often so you get to hear how you actually sound! Never stop working on the small details. I'm quite sure this will do wonders with any accent.

(I must admit that I have not acquired native-like pronunciation in any language yet. Have no reasons for doing it in English, and have not come far enough in my other languages - I am only speaking from my piano experiences).
6 persons have voted this message useful

Alex_y
Diglot
Colombia
Joined 4907 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 5 of 83
14 December 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Lots of exposure, I think.
I started learning English when I was about four or five years old at school, and nearly all my teachers were native ( about two or three british teachers, one canadian, one welsh and about three or four americans). so, even If I don't sound like any particular place I could say I have a fairly native-like pronounciation.

fielle
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
maliora.com
Joined 5082 days ago

53 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 6 of 83
14 December 2010 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
Nobody thinks my L2 is my native language (the non-Japanese-ness of the rest of me gives it away), but they do comment that my accent sounds very good.

I think it involves lots of careful listening to others and yourself, and possibly careful music training as a youth, and possibly also learning the basics of the language by ear and not by text. For Japanese, some basis in Spanish from a very early age may also help. But these are all baseless theories. You definitely have to at least pay attention to the way you talk.

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4912 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 7 of 83
14 December 2010 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
My experiences from playing the piano has taught me that listening to yourself is actually a hard-acquired skill.

A couple of years ago, it was always an unpleasant shock to listen to recordings of my own piano playing: what!? did I do that pause?, and that thing sounds horrible, I thought I played it perfectly.. etc.

The remedy to this is quite simple: Listen a lot to natives' speech so you know how it should sound. Then, record yourself often so you get to hear how you actually sound! Never stop working on the small details. I'm quite sure this will do wonders with any accent.

(I must admit that I have not acquired native-like pronunciation in any language yet. Have no reasons for doing it in English, and have not come far enough in my other languages - I am only speaking from my piano experiences).

Listening to myself scares me because my voice recording sounds very similar to the recordings that I'm listening to on Mango.

I don't trust my own assement, but unfortunately I don't know any native French speakers that I can ask.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 14 December 2010 at 4:53am

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6184 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 83
14 December 2010 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
I think study of the human mouth and the IPA is critical for most people who aren't
born with some amazingly natural gift or if you aren't already 20+. If you are in your
early teens you have an advantage still to pick up near native accent by ear. For older
people, you can pick up a great accent just by ear, but if you want to get to near-
native level there is a high likely hood that there are phonemes and parts of
articulation that you simply cannot hear and aren't aware of that stick out to a native
speaker because you don't pronounce them right.

For instance, Japanese learners almost all pronounce sh and ch in Japanese as they
would in English because that's what they are almost all taught. It is not the same
phoneme as the Japanese one. Japanese people can hear that. The list goes on for
Japanese and for many other languages. Chinese, x, q, ch. French consonants aren't
aspirated. And so on and so forth.

Edited by zerothinking on 14 December 2010 at 5:12am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version