Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 9 of 83
14 December 2010 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
How does one acquire near-native pronunciation?

1-Lots of listening input.

2-Chorusing method: you can adapt it to self study.

http://olle-kjellin.com/SpeechDoctor/ProcLP98.html

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 83
15 December 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Here are a few ideas to help you on your way:

1. Actively listen to as much native audio as possible (and I mean a lot of hours here);

2. Put in for one-to-one sessions with a native speaker focussing on pronunciation and prosody (ideally with a pronunciation coach or language tutor).

3. Record yourself reading a passage aloud (one that you fully comprehend whilst listening first), and then compare this with the original recording of the native speaker (and as Medialis points out, watch out - hearing your own voice can be quite shocking at first, e.g. "Hey, that's not me!" lol).

4. Study the IPA and understand your own phonology first. This will give you a better idea of how you currently articulate sounds in the mouth, and then when you come to study the phonology of another language, you'll have a better grasp of how to make the intricate shifts in tongue and mouth shape that are required to sound more like a native speaker of that language.

5. And I've left the best of course to last: Surround yourself with native speakers and get involved! Living and working in the country (or perhaps having a girlfriend/boyfriend who is a native speaker and making regular trips abroad to practice the language) is ideal; however, if you can't do that, then I'd suggest searching out speakers of the target language in your own or nearby communities (or even just online) and making friends. Places to look include your local library, university/school bulletin boards, restaurants/bars/shops where the owners are native speakers, and other places that host social events like community halls and dancing venues. Just keep asking around. :)

Edited by Teango on 15 December 2010 at 5:09pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4981 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 11 of 83
15 December 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

Do people often tell you they thought your L2 (or +) was your native language?

Yeah. I usually don't believe them though. ;)

Arekkusu wrote:
If so, how did you do it?

By watching tremendous amounts of comedy shows (ガキ、エンタ、…) and occasionally by trying to imitate my favorite comedians.
No, I'm being serious. :p
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 12 of 83
15 December 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of comedians, I'm told that Dashan has a pretty amazing command of Mandarin and puts a lot of his success down to tv and stage work, particularly his formal study of xiangsheng (a traditional form of "crosstalk" comedy).

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5183 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 13 of 83
17 December 2010 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Have a native pronounce different words in his language slowly.Then listen carefully and try to repeat.That helped me a great deal with Russian.

Edited by 1qaz2wsx on 17 December 2010 at 5:05pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 14 of 83
17 December 2010 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
1qaz2wsx wrote:
Have a native pronounce different words in his language slowly.Then listen carefully and try to repeat.That helped me a great deal with Russian.

This would only work on a very small scale. In order to produce entire sentences that you created yourself with a near-native accent, I don't think this would be sufficient.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 15 of 83
17 December 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
1qaz2wsx wrote:

That won't work.

When people speak slowly, they speak more Care-Foo-Lee. Better to take native recordings and slow them down on your computer.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 16 of 83
17 December 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
1qaz2wsx wrote:

That won't work.

When people speak slowly, they speak more Care-Foo-Lee. Better to take native recordings and slow them down on your computer.

While I agree that doing that with every single word would be counterproductive, it does help with certain, problematic sounds.

I'm reminded of the Michel Thomas Polish foundation course and the sound associated with "ę" being taught. In normal, fast speech it sounds very much like a normal "e" to English speakers, but the instructor makes every attempt at reinforcing the deliberate, unnatural-to-English speakers, sound with the hope that the final result will be the correct, yet barely discernible, difference in normal speech.

R.
==

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version