Joined 5257 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 49 of 83
19 December 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I was somewhat surprised reading about Aineko's problems with 'won't'
or 'want'. I'm well aware that my own pronunciation in several languages is somewhat
idiosyncratic, but once I have discovered that there is a problem I have rarely had
problems correcting it.   

Looks like everyone missed the part where I say that at the end it wasn't the sound
that was the problem, but the pitch. 'wo' sound was OK, but I pronounce 'won't' with a
non-native pitch. And pitch is something I can't fix (or maybe I can, but with some ridiculous amount of time and effort), same way I can't sing well.

Oddly enough, I think that pitch accent has actually helped me a lot in Mandarin. Once
I realized that what we do in many Serbian words is kind of half-way or closer to using
tones, everything was easier, both to distinguish and pronounce. Add to it that, unlike
English, I'm learning Mandarin from native speakers, it is not a surprise that correct
(I'm not saying 'native' :) ) Mandarin pronunciation seems easier to me than the
English one.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 50 of 83
20 December 2010 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Actually, thinking about it, with Spanish I'd had to train myself to syllable-timing, and while I used a trick I'd learned through music, it's something anyone could do if shown how. (Again, stress- and syllable-timing is something that I was learning about in my university English language course at the same time as starting out in Spanish, which was a lucky coincidence for me.)

What I did was quite simple.

I tapped a steady beat on my leg, and as I was learning a syllable-timed language, I made it quite quick. I would only start a new syllable on each beat. (I assume I was reading off my computer screen, but I can't remember.)

If you're only used to speaking a syllable-timed language and you're learning a stress-timed one, the process isn't much different. You just start with a slower beat. Only stressed syllables are allowed to be pronounced on a beat -- unstressed syllables have to be squeezed in between.

Two problems, though
1: It's not often noted whether a language is stress-timed or syllable-timed in language descriptions, so it's difficult to know. (At random, I selected Aymara as a test case, and five minutes in Google hasn't turned up anything useful.)

2: It's quite difficult to find a full description of where stress falls when learning. Even in a language where stress is quite straightforward, such as Spanish, it is rarely pointed out that clitics* don't take stress. This is a big component in the stilted rhythm of typical learner speech.

This certainly makes it a lot harder to learn good pronunciation as a beginner...

* Clitics are function words that cannot occur alone. They function a lot like affixes (prefixes, infixes and suffixes) apart from the fact that they can move about a bit.
For example "the" is a clitic. It acts like a prefix to a noun (eg "the car") but as adjectives can come in between ("the green car") it isn't part of the word, so it can't be a prefix.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5239 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 51 of 83
20 December 2010 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I wonder if anyone has experimented with the phonetic waveform feature that one finds in most commercial language software products. You're supposed to try to match the waveform of the example recorded by the teacher. I've always dismissed this thing as a marketing gimmick of little value, but I'm starting to change my mind. It seems to me that for learning prosody it could be very useful as a visual chorusing tool.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 52 of 83
20 December 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Sandy wrote:
It would be interesting to know if his Danish accent has been influenced by all the time he spent in the UK.

Jan Mølby's Danish doesn't seem to have changed since his early days in Kolding, Jutland (there is actually still a hint of the local Jutish subdialect in his speech)

s_allard wrote:
I wonder if anyone has experimented with the phonetic waveform feature that one finds in most commercial language software products.

No, because I haven't bought those products. But I have sometimes notated intonation patterns with a red line above a text when I could get an audio version - or for short passages also when I only had the audio. For instance this was necessary with Swedish and Norwegian, where there for a Dane is a great risk of keeping the flat Danish intonation OR making up some ridiculous fake Nordic intonation.

Cainntear wrote:

I tapped a steady beat on my leg, and as I was learning a syllable-timed language, I made it quite quick. I would only start a new syllable on each beat..

Smart, but is it really necessary? I just imagined a machine gun when I did my stint with with Italian...

Edited by Iversen on 20 December 2010 at 3:42pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 53 of 83
20 December 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I wonder if anyone has experimented with the phonetic waveform feature that one finds in most commercial language software products. You're supposed to try to match the waveform of the example recorded by the teacher. I've always dismissed this thing as a marketing gimmick of little value, but I'm starting to change my mind. It seems to me that for learning prosody it could be very useful as a visual chorusing tool.

I used the previous generation of software, and it was next to useless. (And all the courses that I was aware of at the time used the same licensed voice-recognition engine.)

It was kind of indiscriminate in home it measured similarity, so you could improve your score without pronouncing any better.

They were also designed to be used on computers with cheap, noisy sound chips and cheap, noisy microphones. No computer voice recognition is effective with that sort of equipment, so the language software left a very wide margin for error -- you could get full marks without being very accurate.

Things have improved, and modern software has separated out the basic waveform envelope and the pitch of speech, but I haven't tried any of the newer products, so I don't know how effective it is.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 54 of 83
20 December 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I've been speaking English for over 20 years. I'm sure my accent is better than it was 10 years ago. I'm sure my accent was far from perfect in the first years I was studying English.

It's also a fact that my current accent in Japanese is better than it was a year ago. It is, I hope, not as good as it will be next year or the following year.

In other words, accents progress through time as we acquire knowledge and experience.

Aineko, I don't know how long you've been speaking English, but wouldn't you say your accent is better than, say, 10 years ago? Isn't it better than it was 2 or 3 years after you began studying English? I'd bet your accent improved over time, whether or not you realize it.

You say you spent 9 intense hours trying to distinguish want from won't. This is hardly enough to create any sort of change in the brain. After all, you just noticed that the two words ought to be distinguished. If you continued to think about this distinction, if you continued to try and produce the right pitch and sound over a longer period of time -- now that you are aware of the distinction --, do you not think that your production would improve progressively? I would have a hard time believing that it wouldn't.

So if you had been made aware of all such dinstinctions in the language early on in your studies, if you had been conscious of them and had been trying to produce them correctly all along, would your pronunciation not be better today?

Edited by Arekkusu on 20 December 2010 at 9:37pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5820 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 55 of 83
20 December 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

I tapped a steady beat on my leg, and as I was learning a syllable-timed language, I made it quite quick. I would only start a new syllable on each beat..

Smart, but is it really necessary? I just imagined a machine gun when I did my stint with with Italian...

Necessary, no, but it's a tried-and-tested technique (in music at least).

The only problem with the machine gun is that it's going to be fast. I did think about machine guns too, but I couldn't speak Spanish at machine gun speed at that point....

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5257 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 56 of 83
20 December 2010 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

Aineko, I don't know how long you've been speaking English, but wouldn't you say your
accent is better than, say, 10 years ago? Isn't it better than it was 2 or 3 years
after you began studying English? I'd bet your accent improved over time, whether or
not you realize it.

of course it is. English is my 'main' language for the last four years and my accent
has improved since I came to NZ. Some things I corrected with the small amount of
concious effort, some things have changed without me noticing how.
Quote:
You say you spent 9 intense hours trying to distinguish want from won't.

I said I heard the difference as soon as my attention was brought to it and was able to
pronounce them differently after few hours.
Quote:
This is hardly enough to create any sort of change in the brain. After all, you
just noticed that the two words ought to be distinguished. If you continued to think
about this distinction, if you continued to try and produce the right pitch and sound
over a longer period of time[ -- now that you are aware of the distinction --, do you
not think that your production would improve progressively? I would have a hard time
believing that it wouldn't.

I have a hard time explaining to people with even a slightest musical talent how the
world looks like when you have none of it :). No, I don't think my pitch would improve
without an amount of effort that I can't see justified.
Quote:
So if you had been made aware of all such dinstinctions in the language early on
in your studies, if you had been conscious of them and had been trying to produce them
correctly all along, would your pronunciation not be better today?

as above. Yes, my production of the sounds would've been better. As for pitch and
intonation (necessary for native-like accent) - no, I can't be so sure. I'm not saying
it is impossible, but seems that it requires amount of time, effort and even money that
would be completely disproportional to those required for learning other aspects of a
language (in my case). In other words, it would turn into a project of it's own,
totally disconnected from language learning itself and would probably kill my interest
for that particular language. (not to mention the question 'why would I do it?'. I have
no emotions related to being unnoticed among natives)

Edited by Aineko on 20 December 2010 at 11:09pm

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version