Diglot
United States
Joined 4963 days ago

37 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: DutchB1

Message 9 of 34
16 December 2010 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
For Spanish and English in California, it’s okay if: (1) you’re speaking Spanglish with another Spanglish speaker; (2) you’re staking out important personal ground (like the right to say your name the way you choose); (3) you’re aiming for some literary effect.    And of course it’s okay – even preferable – if (4) you’re a native Spanish speaker and are simply unable to pronounce the word the “wrong” (Anglicized) way, the same way any other English word might be difficult for an English learner.

These (I believe ample) exceptions aside, if you’re speaking English here, and you decide to say very commonly Anglicized words like “San Francisco” or “enchilada” or “Gonzales” in the Spanish style, you’ll just call attention to yourself and in some cases even impede communication.

1 person has voted this message useful

argentum
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5010 days ago

15 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 34
16 December 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
When speaking with my old friends from Ukraine or Russia I have to pay extra attention to pronounce English words
without a hint of English accent, the way they remember me doing it when I lived there. Just so they think it is still
old me (or I), the one they love and trust. Pretty shallow of me, ha?

Edited by argentum on 16 December 2010 at 6:20am

tracker465
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 11 of 34
16 December 2010 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
I’ll pronounce a word the English way if it has an established English pronunciation and the original pronunciation might make the word unrecognisable to people. But if I come across a word that’s not a loanword, I always try to pronounce it as faithfully to the original pronunciation as possible.

I absolutely refuse to say Dutch words in an English accent though. I just feel ridiculous saying Apartheid or Rembrandt the English way when I can pronounce them correctly. This gets a little confusing sometimes when the original pronunciation has been maimed beyond recognition. For instance, Van Gogh does not rhyme with tango and it pains me to say it that way but when I pronounce it correctly I end up having to repeat myself because people don’t know what I’m talking about.

Yes! When I was visiting a friend from Haarlem, we took a little tour of Amsterdam and she said something to me about Van Gogh. At the time, I hadn't studied any Dutch and never heard the name pronounced in this way, so I had no idea who she was referring to, until she said "You have to know this guy's paintings, he is really famouse. Oh, you say Van Go in English, don't you?"

With that being said, I always try to pronounce the words as close to the original as I can, and do modify my accent or whatever in the middle of the sentence.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 34
16 December 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Never. People will see you like this (particularly if they don't speak another language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-0jKcF7iKo

R.
==

LOVE the Catherine Tate Show.

Faraday
United States
Joined 5927 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 13 of 34
16 December 2010 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
It really depends on who I'm talking to. Sometimes I try to approximate the native pronunciation. At others I try to
follow the convention. The only principle I try to abide by is to make the other person comfortable, or at least not
uncomfortable.

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6281 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 14 of 34
16 December 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Funny enough I posted about this on another forum earlier today (or maybe yesterday). There's a TV ad that was made in both English and Spanish, and both versions feature this effect.

The English version has it for the names "Alejandra" and "Julio Cedillo".

The Spanish version has it for the phrase "Children International" (watch 0:16-0:18).

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5016 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 34
16 December 2010 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
I do it, but I tend to get the pronunciation completely wrong because I find it hard to switch between English and, say, French which has completely different pronunciation mid-sentence, unless I pause "for dramatic effect".

I've always pronounced Gogh in Van Gogh like "goch" (/ɡɔx/, rhymes with "loch"), not sure if it's correct but I've never thought to pronounce it like "go"... maybe that's just because us Scots have the /x/ sound.

Edited by garyb on 16 December 2010 at 11:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

RedBlaze
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4912 days ago

10 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: Swedish, Danish

Message 16 of 34
16 December 2010 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
It depends. If I'm speaking Italian and I need to use an English word, I generally pronounce it the Italian way if it's an established loanword (and we certainly have no lack of those), but even if it's not, my pronunciation is generally quite "relaxed" and I don't completely switch accent. As for when I'm speaking English, I tend to only pronounce Italian words with an English accent if they actually have an "official" English pronunciation (i.e. things like pasta, pizza, etc.), otherwise it sounds weird to my ears.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version