Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 17 of 34
16 December 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
When I lived in the UK, I could not bring myself to pronounce "macho" in the English fashion there which sounded to my ears like "MATCH-oh" and I would cringe every time I heard a news presenter pronounce "Nicaragua" like "Nick-a RAG(like a cloth)-you-a. Fingernails on a chalk board!
1 person has voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6283 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 18 of 34
16 December 2010 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
and I would cringe every time I heard a news presenter pronounce "Nicaragua" like "Nick-a RAG(like a cloth)-you-a. Fingernails on a chalk board!

Nails on a chalkboard indeed... it hurts just to imagine it. I'm reminded of watching Connections 2, with James Burke, who is awesome in just about every respect except he pronounced "Hiroshima" as hi-RAW-shi-mah. Still sounds bizarre to me.

This also reminds me of the time when a local newscaster was ranting (literally: he has a segment called The Rant) about the idea of an American adaptation of Sin tetas no hay paraíso. My comprehension of spoken Spanish was very bad at the time (it's still not particularly good), so I didn't fully catch the title, but he still mangled it badly enough that I burst out laughing (and rightly so). The Spanish word "hay" is pronounced like the English word "I", but he pronounced it like the English word "hay", for instance. He was decrying the idea of adapting a television show whose name he couldn't even pronounce. What were the chances he knew anything about the actual show?

global_gizzy
United States
maxcollege.blogspot.
Joined 5514 days ago

275 posts - 310 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 34
16 December 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
In English, I say everything the English way. But in Spanish, I stumble and struggle
trying to make a decision on how to pronounce an English word when speaking Spanish.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6248 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 20 of 34
16 December 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
When I lived in the UK, I could not bring myself to pronounce "macho" in the English fashion there which sounded to my ears like "MATCH-oh"

Wait, in England they say it like how an American says "MATCH" -oh?

Cuz in America, we pronounce "macho" as "MAH-cho". With an "ahhh" sound. We don't say "MATCH-oh" (with a short American "a").

But I know sometimes British people use a short American "a" (why is that??). Like the car company Mazda (Mahz-duh), they call it "Mäaaaaaz-der" with a short American "a" and an "er" out of nowhere at the end. lol

Quote:
and I would cringe every time I heard a news presenter pronounce "Nicaragua" like "Nick-a RAG(like a cloth)-you-a. Fingernails on a chalk board!

Oh ick, that make me cringe just reading it!

Polyglot_gr
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 4906 days ago

29 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, SpanishC2, DutchC1, Swedish, PortugueseC1, Romanian, Polish, Catalan, Russian, Hungarian

Message 21 of 34
16 December 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
If you are speaking your native language and change your accent every time you utter a foreign family or place name, this means that you want to show off your linguistic knowledge.

On the contrary, if you are speaking a foreign language and revert to your native accent at every native word you find, this means you that have not really mastered the foreign language. If you had, you should know how native speakers pronounce unfamiliar words!

In any case, one should try to speak like a native in each language, in order to avoid misunderstandings.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bradley326
Groupie
Joined 5987 days ago

78 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: Russian, Kazakh, Spanish

Message 22 of 34
17 December 2010 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Quote:
If you are speaking your native language and change your accent every time you utter a foreign family or place name, this means that you want to show off your linguistic knowledge.

On the contrary, if you are speaking a foreign language and revert to your native accent at every native word you find, this means you that have not really mastered the foreign language. If you had, you should know how native speakers pronounce unfamiliar words!

In any case, one should try to speak like a native in each language, in order to avoid misunderstandings.

I agree with this. I try to use the the accent of whatever language I'm speaking.

For example, if I'm telling my Mom about a trip to Russia, I'm not going to switch into Russian pronunciation when I start talking about matryeshkas, babushkas, and vodka, cause she won't understand me. Likewise, when I'm talking with my Russian friends I won't switch to my American accent when I want to say words like parking, cocktail, milkshake, and even Coca-Cola (which are all the same in Russian, just with a Russian accent).

I've actually had misunderstandings in shop and cafes when trying to order things like Coca-colas and milkshakes because I accidentally slipped into my American accent out of sheer habit, and the salesperson had no idea what I was saying.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if we technically mispronounce a word from a foreign language, because in our language THAT is how it's pronounced correctly.

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6283 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 23 of 34
17 December 2010 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Polyglot_gr wrote:

Not necessarily true. In speech, we often pick the pronunciation that's easiest. If you say a Spanish name, and you don't know Spanish, then the easiest way is with a strong English-language accent. If you do speak Spanish, though, you're accustomed to saying Spanish names in a Spanish-language accent (or at least an imitation thereof) and you might find it harder to revert to English pronunciation! So I tend only to maintain the English-language accent when not doing so would hinder comprehensibility.

With Japanese names, I do maintain the English-language accent, because they're much more awkward in speech than Spanish names are, what with their long vowels and double consonants and such.

And nobody will understand what you're saying if you pronounce Latin names in an imitation of a Classical accent. :)

Edited by furrykef on 17 December 2010 at 7:20am

3 persons have voted this message useful

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 24 of 34
17 December 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Finns do it all the time with English words. To be honest, it sounds absolutely ridiculous (though this might be because the Finnish accent is not very pleasing to the ears in the first place; in fact it's quite ghastly). I always pronounce English words with a heavy Finnish accent when speaking Finnish.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version