Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 25 of 34
17 December 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
The short Subject field here really makes you be creative with your subject titles. The subject of this thread was supposed to be: "Do you "turn on the accent" when saying a foreign word in the middle of an English sentence?"

And the question in the thread is basically the same.

I hear Spanish speakers do this a lot. They'll be speaking normal English and then suddenly they have to say a Spanish word and they say it the Spanish way, not the English way.

Like "yeah, I was really hungry after work so I stopped and got a boo-RRREEE-to on my way home."

I always thought it was funny, not because of the accent or anything, but just the interruption in the "flow" between using the English accent and the Spanish accent.

I find myself doing it sometimes, however, like when I'm saying the names of the Japanese competitors on the show "Ninja Warrior" (called "Sasuke" in Japan). I'm a native English speaker who has studied Japanese on and off for years, but it sounds funny to me to say Japanese names the English way, so I say them with my (poorly done) Japanese accent. But it sounds funny to change accents in the middle of a sentence, too.

Do you guys do this when you're speaking one language and then have to use a word in another language?

How I do this depends on whether I actually know the standard native pronunciation of the foreign expression as well as whether my audience would be sharp enough to understand me using that native-sounding pronunciation.

For example, I will sometimes use Hungarian "gulyás" (pronounced more like 'gu-yahsh') instead of "goulash" or Japanese 空手 (pronounced more like 'kah-rah-teh') instead of "karate" ('keh-raw-tee') or Finnish "sauna" (pronounced more like 'sow-nah') rather than "sauna" ('saw-na'). On the other hand, I refer to "bungalow" or "pecan" as is common in English rather than as the original Hindustani बंगला / بنگلہ ('banglA') or Miami-Illinois 'pakani' respectively.

At the most essential level, I lean towards comprehension from my audience rather than using markedly "native" pronunciation. Since I actually don't know that many languages and will be bound to offend thin-skinned purists at one point or another, if only inadvertently, there's no way that I'll be able to please everyone at all times.

See the following for related discussion:

Pronouncing foreign names correctly

Renaming the cities of other countries
1 person has voted this message useful

Noff
United States
Joined 4937 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 26 of 34
17 December 2010 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Th writer David Sedaris tells a funny story about an otherwise monotonous professor who would suddenly pronounce the names of Latin American countries with a sudden, jarring, over the top accent (Neekaarogwaah!). It really describes how pronouncing foreign words commonly known in the language you're using can come off as a bit pretentious. ;)

g.polskov
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

37 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 27 of 34
22 December 2010 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
One phenomenom I find interesting is that many people will pronounce any foreign word with an English accent when speaking another language, and somehow feel this is more genuine.

For example, we have a lot of european hockey players playing here and it is widespread to hear their names said in an americanized fashion in french broadcasts, even though a french version would be just as good (or as bad!). It is also common to see a foreign film (say romanian) presented with an English title as though it were more original than the french translation.

I guess this is a manifestation of what I call the "two drawers" syndrome. Without an important effort, brains tend to work with two compartiments: "native language" and "other stuff". Well, I know mine does.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5275 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 28 of 34
22 December 2010 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
Wait, in England they say it like how an American says "MATCH" -oh?

Cuz in America, we pronounce "macho" as "MAH-cho". With an "ahhh" sound. We don't say "MATCH-oh" (with a short American "a").

But I know sometimes British people use a short American "a" (why is that??). Like the car company Mazda (Mahz-duh), they call it "Mäaaaaaz-der" with a short American "a" and an "er" out of nowhere at the end. lol

Slightly off topic, but I can't stand the way Americans assume every foreign word must be pronounced with that horrible long AHH sound, thinking, for example, that since Mazda is a Japanese word it must surely be pronounced "Mahz-da", whereas in fact the British pronunciation with the short "a" is much closer to the original. It's the same thing with "macho" and "pasta".

And don't even get me started on the silent "h" of "herbs"...

Edited by TixhiiDon on 22 December 2010 at 5:21am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4941 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 29 of 34
22 December 2010 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:

There's a good Eddie Izzard bit floating around on youtube about precisely that.

R.
==

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5507 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 30 of 34
22 December 2010 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:

herb:
late 13c., erbe, from O.Fr. erbe, from L. herba "grass, herb." Refashioned after Latin
since 15c., but the h- was mute until 19c.

It's been silent for 800 years until some meddlers tried to make it more like Latin.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5275 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 31 of 34
22 December 2010 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
egill wrote:
It's been silent for 800 years until some meddlers tried to make it more like Latin.

Good for the meddlers, I say!

tornus
Diglot
GroupieRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4954 days ago

82 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Danish

Message 32 of 34
22 December 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
when i'm speaking a foreign language, it try to keep the native accents even for foreign words though i know the proper translation ( eg, when i speak English i will pronounce the city "paris" with the "s" eventhough in french we don't say it )
but when i speak my native language, i try to have the best accent when i have to say a foreign word, without being too much pretentious. once i was walking in the street and there were these guys who told me i looked like harry potter , so i say "harry potter really?" and then they laugh at me because of my "british accent". however i didn't try to have a good accent, i seemed natural ...

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version