United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4890 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 1 of 48
16 December 2010 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
So basically; the other day when at uni, I had literally a one minute French conversation with my friend, another girl in our group looked at me and said "do you have speak a foreign language, it's so rude" - because I was in a room with English people ...

What do yo think?
3 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5142 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 2 of 48
16 December 2010 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
Were the two of you having a side conversation or were you talking about something that concered the group as a whole? Were there other people in the group besides the three of you?

I feel mixed on this issue since I have been on both sides of the coin. I used to hang out with two guys, and we would weekly go down to the local dance club to hang out and get a few beers. My two friends both spoke French and Spanish, and I didn't speak either of these languages. I usually wasn't concerned that I didn't understand when they spoke in these languages, as I enjoy hearing other languages, enjoyed having a few beers, and also sometimes would then use the time to mingle with others. Besides, these guys would then usually explain to me what they were talking of too.

If I am with someone who speaks a language that I speak (other than English), I prefer speaking in the other tongue for a bit, either for practice (Spanish, Dutch) or for fun (German). On the other hand, when I run into a German speaker, it always seems to be when my brother is along, and he hates when I converse in German then.

The only time that I was really bothered by people speaking foreign tongues in front of me was when I was with three Danish friends in Denmark for a week. When we would drive around Denmark, the three Danes would constantly speak in Danish, and I was just left for hours on end trying to catch a word here and there. Knowing that these three girls all spoke perfect English, as they had studied together at my university in America where we first met, it just bothered me quite a bit, as they always spoke English to me when we all hung out in America.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 48
16 December 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
If you are in a group and the others exclude you by constantly speaking a language you don't understand then you have the right to protest. On the other hand they shouldn't be forced to speak a specific language all the time just because you are present, so the problem is to strike a fair balance. Let common sense prevail.

But in the situation described by languagenerd09 it was just a nosy girl who interfered in a conversation between two other persons, either because she falsely believes she has a godgiven right to eavesdrop on everybody around her or because she simply hates other languages. In both cases she is an extremely rude person and should have been told so.

Edited by Iversen on 16 December 2010 at 10:24am

13 persons have voted this message useful

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6283 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 4 of 48
16 December 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
languagenerd09 wrote:
So basically; the other day when at uni, I had literally a one minute French conversation with my friend, another girl in our group looked at me and said "do you have speak a foreign language, it's so rude" - because I was in a room with English people ...

What do yo think?
It's her who was rude to eavesdrop seeking for attention. This was not her business what language you talked, unless you were all together with other people. I'd tell her to go for a hike.

Edited by Siberiano on 16 December 2010 at 10:59am

4 persons have voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5556 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 5 of 48
16 December 2010 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
When my friends and I are together we speak French all the time now since that's my new project for the time being, only switching to English when speaking to shop assistants or whatever. The people I have in mind are French and Belgian natives and our friends all speak French either by birth or through university and self study. We never switch to English around monolingual friends if the conversation just concerns those who speak French but we of course do if it involves those who don't speak it. We've asked our monolingual (or non French-speaking) friends whether they find it rude and they don't. Even when my girlfriend and I speak French or German together at the dinner table (which between the two is 100% of the time) our families don't mind - they're fascinated to hear our conversation and interrupt every so often to ask if they understood the odd word or phrase.

Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6283 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 6 of 48
16 December 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
By the way, languagenerd09, I've got an idea. This girl was seeking attention. May be not a particular person's, but definitely needing to feel important. If you have such a situation again, and hesitate to tell them to go hiking, use a "psychiatrist comeback line":

"Oh, you're jumping into other's conversation quite impolitely. Dude, you're seeking attention. You must be low on self-esteem."

I'll keep this in my mind for the future. Usually if people misbehave, and you're not rude in response, but tell them why they do it, most times they admit it and step back, and you look like mind reader.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4920 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 7 of 48
16 December 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
My little anecdote:

When I lived in Mexico after college, I made friends with mostly Mexicans. After living there for about a year, I became friends with another American that had moved there.

Anyway, we were all at a party one night. I only spoke Spanish with my Mexican friends, but at some point during the evening I had turned to my American friend and spoke to him in English (he also spoke Spanish, but between the two of us we almost always spoke English). A woman that both of us knew came up to us and simply told us we should know better than to speak English in a group setting of non-English speakers. She wasn't mad, just letting us know it was rude. Neither one of us had considered that it might be rude.

We switched to Spanish, no harm done to anyone. Lesson learned. It was socially unacceptable to go off speaking in a language unknown by most of the people.

Whether you thought this girl was eavesdropping or not doesn't really matter. She told you it was rude because she probably really thought it was rude.

R.
==

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4890 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 8 of 48
16 December 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
The situation was; we were at class, there was me and my friend speaking the conversation, then the girl and three others (who were discussing the work) and all our conversation was -
me: tu aime le danse?
friend: oui, et vous?
me: oui! j'aime le chorégraphie

that was it ...

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version