Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5184 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 48
16 December 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
In my experience, except when the speakers are deliberately trying to be rude, the idea that "speaking another language in the vicinity of someone who doesn't speak it" is rude is essentially an Anglo-Saxon concept.

But there is also a cultural aspect to this. In my office (Central Canada, where French is a minority language), there is a mixture of English speakers, French-Canadians (not from Québec) and Québécois. The French-Canadians switch to English as soon as an English speaker is within earshot, but the Québécois never do. I'm guessing this is because the French-Canadians have been told before that it's rude. However, for Québécois, speaking English to another Québécois feels rude, and can sometimes be perceived as a form of betrayal. The French-Canadians all speak near-native English, so this might also be a factor, expect that all Québécois in my office also speak excellent English.

Edited by Arekkusu on 16 December 2010 at 4:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4933 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 48
16 December 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
In my experience, except when the speakers are deliberately trying to be rude, the idea that "speaking another language in the vicinity of someone who doesn't speak it" is rude is essentially an Anglo-Saxon concept.

See my anecdote above. It's not just an Anglo-Saxon concept.

That said, I think US society in general has become much more accepting of native speakers of languages other than English using their language in their daily lives.

Notice I said natives.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

skchi
Groupie
United States
Joined 5548 days ago

57 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 11 of 48
16 December 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
I think that it depends on the context. Tracker465's story about the Danish friends is clearly an example of rude behavior.

Your story doesn't sound like it is. If I understand correctly, you were just waiting for class to start or something, and she was talking to other people. It wasn't like you all went out to dinner together, and you and your friend spoke French the whole time, leaving everyone else out of the conversation.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5452 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 12 of 48
16 December 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
You could always use the good ol' cliche "This is an AB conversation, C your way out."

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5814 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 48
16 December 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
You could say quite politely that 99% of your waking hours are spent in the company of people who don't speak French. If that was a reason not to speak French, you would never have enough opportunity to practice it to become good at it. You've got to do your homework sometime, right?

Doogle
United Kingdom
Joined 5322 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 14 of 48
17 December 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
So far as I can see, it is rude if there are three people, and two of them speak a language they know the other doesn't understand. In a larger group situation, where no-one is left out, I don't see a problem.

I was once with a friend and her work mates (all Korean) in a car in Vienna, and found it quite rude that they spoke only Korean for the entire journey (despite the fact that they all spoke only English at work (in Austria) so clearly had a good command). I wouldn't have minded had they said the odd sentence in Korean, as I can understand that sometimes it's just easier, but it's really when someone is left out that I find it rude.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5031 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 15 of 48
17 December 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
My sister came out to visit me and after a few hours told me she was quite annoyed by me constantly talking to friends in Mandarin as she can't understand. I found the best way to remedy this was after each conversation I would just turn to my sister and tell her what we were talking about, or especially laughing about. Just summarizing is fine I think. It at least lets the person know you aren't talking about them or leaving them out of the conversation. "she said she thinks the food here is great" "she told me her mother is sick" ect. I think after they realize you are just having a regular conversation they will either get bored of knowing what you are talking about, or take an interest and then you can translate a few questions for them.

As for a large group I don't think its rude at all, and of course you aren't going to announce everything being said to a large group. The annoyed person needs to get used to it.

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6763 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 16 of 48
17 December 2010 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Arekkusu] .

But there is also a cultural aspect to this. In my office (Central Canada, where French is a minority language), there is a mixture of English speakers, French-Canadians (not from Québec) and Québécois.

There are French-Canadians that are not Quebecois?

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version