Joined 6782 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 297 of 668
30 September 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I can do the drills, but I just know I won't use it right in real
life. It is easier when you know that it is the subjunctive... in the drills the whole
point is "this is the subjunctive situation... let's drill it a ton of times." My
problem is when I talk having the light bulb go off and say "ok, here comes a
subjunctive situation."

I can relate to this. For me, it's not an issue of how to conjugate various
tenses or moods in Spanish (which is largely what FSI drills), but rather, some of the
finer nuances of when to use the subjunctive, imperfect vs. preterite, etc.
What I have found helpful is collecting lots of example sentences from novels and news
articles and then studying them with Anki so that I get better at sensing when to use
which. At least for me, that's much easier than just memorizing the list of rules and
trying to apply them when I speak.

And congratulations on the new baby!

Edited by mike245 on 30 September 2013 at 10:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5593 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 298 of 668
01 October 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
James, seriously, google subjunctive + José Ruiz Campillo. I know I recommended this before, but once
you get the logic of the subjunctive, the FSI drills will become a lot less mechanical and more
meaningful.

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4061 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 299 of 668
02 October 2013 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Congrats on the new baby!

Good idea to use your time off to get more Spanish in. When my little boy was born, I watched so much stuff on Tivo because he'd keep me up half the night. We're trying for #3 (although I'm not holding my breath because we've been trying for a while)... should we have another baby, I'll have to be sure to load up some language materials for my hospital stay.

Your trip to McDonald's reminds me of the time I went to Carl's Jr. with my kids and a friend's kid. There was a Spanish-speaking family and a couple of grown up Spanish speakers there. My kids wanted to talk to them; I told them that they could talk to the kids. So my little boy goes up to the kid and says "Hola! Comi estas!" (He doesn't know how to pronounce como correctly). The kid was too shy to respond. That was in the agricultural area of California, although we have quite a few Spanish speakers here as well. Not as many as before it became illegal for businesses to hire illegal workers, but still quite a few.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 300 of 668
02 October 2013 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
OK, Randomreview, you are right. I am a slacker on the subjunctive. I have now printed off the booklet and I will read it... eventually. I really don't have a conceptual problem with it and I know when and how to use it. It is that when speaking I don't have enough time for my brain to work. It needs to become more automatic. I appreciate your input. You have suggested some great materials that have really improved my Spanish and the pleasure I have in learning the language.

Life with the new baby is starting to normalize. My wife is amazing. I am not getting as much sleep as I need because I usually take care of him in the early morning. I guess not getting sleep is to be expected. It is making me get to work at least 1-2 hours earlier in the morning... so I am not having a problem putting in Spanish time.

I really wish I could go up to people and speak Spanish like in McDonalds. I have a hearing problem and I feel strange when I am trying to listen to them... I want to be sure if they are Speaking Spanish before I say anything and I am sure it looks like there is some guy trying to eavesdrop on them. I have also been burned a couple times and spoken Spanish to some folks from India.

1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 301 of 668
02 October 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
I just realized that yesterday marked the completion of my fourth year of learning Spanish. One of my mini-goals was to feel like I obtained a level of Spanish equivalent to a college degree in Spanish. I feel very confident that I have met that goal.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 302 of 668
05 October 2013 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Finished FSI lesson 44 today. I am thinking that some of these lessons (like 44) are a bit too easy and might not be the best use of my time. I guess it is good for a review. Sometimes, however, the lessons are very valuable. I will keep chugging through FSI.

Watched a couple episodes of El Capo. I have watched through episode 48 now. It is interesting. I like the show. 42 episodes left. I don't see myself finishing it anytime soon, but it is easy to follow and easy to pick up after some time off so I will just slowly keep watching when I have time.

I am working through Breaking out of Beginner's Spanish as I exercise and watch my son at practice. Again, here, I am wondering if it is a bit of a waste of time for me. It is an easy read, however, so I don't mind reading it. I need something very easy when I workout or else I simply won't do it.

I did some minor skype text chats, but nothing meaningful. I still need to find another good exchange partner. I was very spoiled over the past couple years with my partners so finding someone new is going to be difficult. Plus, my life is so much different now I don't think I will be as good a partner as I have been in the past.

I may end up having to go to Mexico for a work conference in the Spring. I am keeping my fingers crossed that will work out. If I end up going I will take an extra week.

Not much else in my world of Spanish this week.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 303 of 668
05 October 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Have you considered looking online for a language partner? I found some good Skype Spanish conversation partners
on italki.com and conversationexchange.com.

Lately, though, with my time being much more limited, I've started using tutors more than conversation partners. I
figure it's worth 5 dollars to get as much Spanish practice in half an hour as I get in an entire hour with a language
partner. I found my tutors on www.italki.com.

Congratulations on your new baby - and on having attained your four-year Spanish goal!

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 

Message 304 of 668
06 October 2013 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Well, I found one of my best language exchange partners on mylanguageexchange.com. I don't really like that site, however, because I am too cheap to sign up for the gold membership. Without the gold membership it is almost impossible to set up an exchange. I found my other really good partner on sharedtalk.com. I actually like sharedtalk pretty well. I have found a lot of partners there. I never really used italki. I could not figure out how it worked. It seems to be some sort of language version of facebook where you "follow" people... maybe I will pursue it further.

Also, I have been plotting out my future Spanish endeavors and if anyone has any input I'd appreciate it. I am trying to decide if I should read a bunch of children's books (like the Harry Potter series) or shadow Atlas Shrugged. I cannot make up my mind on which would be more productive for me now.

This discussion contains 668 messages over 84 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version