Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5831 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 9 of 60
20 January 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Tropi wrote:
I enjoy speaking my native German. I like the way it sounds, although it's often considered as harsh. For me it sounds clearer than English which is somehow squishy. Just compare "with" and German "mit". "mit" sounds much harder. My favor for "hard" sounds is also the reason why I like Slavic languages more than Romance languages. Especially French does sound squishy to me as well.

Live in Manchester for a year and then talk about squishy accents ^_^.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6379 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 60
20 January 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Speaking Swedish is like drinking water. It's nice and quenches my thirst, but it doesn't have that much of a taste. But a really good glass of water is sometimes the most wonderful thing in the world. I couldn't live without it.

Speaking English is like drinking tea. It's a subtle mix of flavors and the taste varies with origin, type, temperature, brewing time and whether or not you add milk and/or sugar. If you do it right, it has an enormous breadth of flavors. There's also a big load of culture behind it and knowing that gives you a lot more enjoyment out of that little cup.

Speaking French is like drinking coffee. It's powerful and even bitter at times, but it keeps you awake and alert. The taste stays in your mouth for an hour afterwards unless you rinse it out with something else.

Speaking Mandarin is like drinking white wine. It's nice and not too overpowering, but there's a lot of flavors if you really look for them. You can drink it slowly and enjoy it, but mostly you just buy a cheap bottle to get the job done.

Speaking Cantonese is like eating a freshly baked pizza with extra everything. And having sex at the same time.
22 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6665 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 11 of 60
20 January 2011 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Wonderful, Ari! Sounds like you might have synesthesia. There are some threads about it here, too, somewhere.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5132 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 12 of 60
20 January 2011 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of synaesthesia, I sometimes wonder if I would enjoy languages half as much if I weren’t a synaesthete. For instance, I enjoy French because it feels like deep red velvet, streets covered in freshly fallen autumn leaves and burned sugar. I enjoy Italian because it sounds like a box of rainbow crayons and looks like a cacophony of pastels and watercolours. And I enjoy listening to Greek because it feels like aquamarine creams, perfectly white pebbles and sinking my teeth into a piece of light muskmelon.

If I didn’t have these kind of associations, I wonder where that would leave my love for languages.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6379 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 60
21 January 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
Wonderful, Ari! Sounds like you might have synesthesia.

Sadly, no. Just a poetic streak.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4920 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 60
21 January 2011 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
Gosh, Ari, you make me want to switch to Cantonese!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5148 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 15 of 60
21 January 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
To me, Cantonese is the most enjoyable language to speak and listen to. Today I had a conversation in Cantonese for the first time and in some way it felt so pleasant in my mouth to pronounce the words, unlike when I speak a lot of English, then I only feel numb in my mouth :P Lately I've discovered though that Turkish is a very enjoyable language as well :) And I like the sound of Thai, but for some reason not as much speaking it.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5919 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 16 of 60
21 January 2011 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Koine Greek, as it is the greatest language of them all. The language of the New Testament, the Apostle Paul, Alexander the Great, and the lingua franca of SPQR.

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version