United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6665 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 49 of 60
25 February 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Magdalla, although I often write about on this forum about languages related to colors, I also have often thought of them as differing personalities as well. I know exactly what you mean. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4880 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 51 of 60
25 February 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
minaaret wrote:
By the way, I've noticed that many native speakers of English on these forums write clumsy English, full of spelling mistakes and not very logical. Why is it so? Is it not a language forum?

You mean on HTLAL?

Edited by Meelämmchen on 25 February 2011 at 4:11pm

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4880 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 53 of 60
26 February 2011 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Do you really have this impression? I never spotted masses of spelling mistakes here, can't even imagine, when I saw the last one. And logic, I can't support this either, but I'm not reading every discussion here, I must add. Maybe you can give examples.

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4880 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 55 of 60
27 February 2011 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
I would say these are exceptions. Maybe you should visit some other English forums. If you call that here clumsy I hope you still can find words for something like u for you, em for them, and other things. I always was the opinion of people here are having an eye on what they are writing. So I really was just wondering.
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5563 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 56 of 60
27 February 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I enjoy speaking German more than English or Welsh. English is my undisputed native language, whereas I grew up with Welsh until certain events made me stop speaking it for a couple of years, and because of that, it has fallen behind my English.

When I speak English, I am nervous, almost whoever I'm speaking to, whether it's my family or someone I have to deal with in some formal situation or other. When it's really bad, you can see me shaking and you can tell by my facial expressions that I am just generally not comfortable with the present situation at all. Conversations on the phone scare the life out of me - I will delay sorting out problems with bills or other really important things for as long as possible because speaking on the phone makes me that nervous. When I speak German, though, none of these nerves seem to be there, or if they are, they disappear pretty quickly. Obviously my English is quite a bit better than my German, but German is the language in which my confidence most shines through.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version