Triglot
Ireland
Joined 4936 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Irish
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, Russian

Message 57 of 60
27 February 2011 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
minaaret, the thing is, posters on this forum, including those who state their native language is English, are very involved with other languages, this being the whole point of the forum. Their study of other languages, often many other languages, might affect to at least some small degree their use of English. Also, that they are proficient speakers of Englilsh would not necessarily mean that they would always appear to be completely correct in this language. Some might be from parts of the English-speaking world where standard English is not the main dialect, for instance; this fact might not be easy to spot if one as a non-native speaker of English has learned from grammars, textbooks and so forth standard English. However, their usage of their first language is no less valid by being non-standard. As no doubt you yourself know, there are various and varying factors, including political ones, which come into play in respect of standard language dialects in all major languages. For example, expressions which standard speakers of English would consider incorrect such as 'ain't' as spoken out boldly by cowboys in the US Wild West, while considered grossly ungrammatical and emblematic of a general lack of education by British speakers of standard English, is, no doubt you are aware, an inheritance from the first migrants who travelled to the New World on the Mayflower and similar craft, and for whom this abbreviation of the present tense of the verb 'to be' was completely acceptable.
I know very little about Polish, and so cannot comment on whether or not the situation would be comparable, but I would imagine that would be the case.
1 person has voted this message useful

Skipalong
Diglot
KazakhstanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4816 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Kazakh

Message 58 of 60
27 February 2011 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Of all languages I like Russian the most. I think Russian is beautiful, I love the way it sounds, it's articulation, and how different it can be. I was lucky to have this language as native, so I could feel it in all it's beauty.

I also like languages which have similar features with Russian, sounding rather 'hard' and 'open', like German, Italian and Spanish.
But at the same time I don't like the sound of other Slavic languages...

French is nice, but a little too soft and sweet.
English isn't beautiful to me, but it's nice. It rings like a light summer song.

You members here a comparing languages with colours, tastes and personalities, and that reminded me of a saying about languages: "To speak to a friend use Russian, to speak to an enemy use German, to speak to a lover use French".
And I wonder what you would say about different languages according to this pattern?

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5469 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 59 of 60
27 February 2011 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
I've heard a saying that went something like "I speak Spanish to God, French to men, Italian to women and German to my horse", but I don't think I want to comment on that myself...

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 60 of 60
27 February 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
The pattern emerging from those sayings is - that they can both be true for a homosexual who hates horses.

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version