Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 57 of 68
02 March 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
LouisaBalata wrote:
you can buy different books from an author you know you like,
because he has a particular style of writing and that helps you a lot I think

This is very good advice. For me, that author is Hammond Innes. There are about 30 of his books, and most have been translated into my target language Dutch. I expect they have been translated into many other languages as well. I find that translated books tend to have easier words, sentences and expressions, although I think some expressions get translated a bit too literally. The purists will say it is better to read native target language books but I think translated material is better until you become a fluent reader. The Hammond Innes books have lots of action and are fast moving. The stories are straightforward, easy to follow, and use relatively easy words. For me, they are interesting and I find it easy to continue reading.

This is an interesting idea that I actually use. Whereas traditionally people recommend reading material in the target language with translation, I think it can be very enlightening to read translations in the target language of authors that one already knows. Here it's important to choose your authors carefully. For example, I like contemporary authors in the thriller genre with lots of dialogs. When you read the translation, you really get a sense of how the target language can render the same idea. Of course, this suggestion is not meant to completely replace reading original authors in the target language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 58 of 68
02 March 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
danieldesu wrote:
I read through about 100 pages of Japanese in about a week. [...]The first time through, I understood between 60-70%, and a lot of the grammar just didn't quite make sense. Then I read through those 100 pages again and something amazing happened: I understood about 95% of what I was reading. I felt as though my Japanese had doubled or tripled in ability from where I was the week before
(and I had already been studying over a year). The grammar that I never really understood before had become cemented in my brain and I learned 100s of new words, just from reading!

Wow, it's just like magic!

Edited by Arekkusu on 02 March 2011 at 9:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 59 of 68
02 March 2011 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
I suspect a big reason for this is
that books command your attention more than other media. Tv is too easy to ignore, it
keeps going by itself. Similarly, radio is only audible and it's too easy to get
distracted by something in your field of vision.

Compared to speaking with a human being, reading is incredibly easy to ignore.

I find that it's also very easy to dismiss written text: you can read through parts that you don't understand or you can also keep reading while you mind wanders away only to realize that you don't actually remember the last paragraph.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 61 of 68
02 March 2011 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I think it’d be fair to say that the majority of learners in this forum adopt a literary perspective. For most, speaking is secondary.

If it’s your choice, then I have nothing to say, and reading is obviously the best way for you to learn. However, too many people concentrate on the written language simply by default, without questioning whether that’s the right thing for them to do.

Personally, passive understanding of words on a page is of minimal interest. Oral communication is the ultimate goal; creating and assembling meaningful constructions that mirror my inner thoughts -- on the fly at that! -- , now that’s fascinating! If anyone out there thought there was something wrong with them for not keeping a vivid interest through hundreds of pages of wizardry or ancient biblical tales, consider the possibility that you are simply not using the right method.

As humans, we are all deeply and subconsciously moved and touched by human contact and we’ve been learning languages orally for millennia: we are genetically programmed to learn languages through interactions with other humans.

Edited by Arekkusu on 02 March 2011 at 8:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5343 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 62 of 68
02 March 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
As many here, I'm the reader type. I started reading Spanish at the time when I was
still doing A2 level stuff. The courses and grammar drills just didn't do it for me. So
I bought a parallel text book and read through the first story about 20-30 times. I was
not satisfied with just getting the translation on opposite page, I wanted to make sure
I can parse the sentence structure correctly. So I read and re-read until I was
satisfied. Spent solid two weeks on one story alone and then another week on second
story. It was worth it though, because I learned so much of the inner workings and
grammar and it helped me to overcome that all too familiar case of getting all the
words correctly but still missing the meaning. I then gradually moved on, first with
readers, now with real books. Huge boost to my reading was when I started reading on
Kindle with inline dictionary. It's like best of both worlds, I do not have to put the
book down for lookups and I never lose the sight and feel of the sentences. Currently
my Spanish learning consists of reading only, I'm growing my vocabulary like mad.

But I have discovered one drawback: books I read or want to read tend to be highly
topical (history, science) and I'll get a bunch of cool vocabulary while missing out
lots of "normal" vocabulary. For example one day it struck me that I know Spanish words
for "steamboat", "triangulation" and "black hole" I do not know words for "sink" or
"sewing kit". So while I can read and enjoy a popular article about latest trends in
modern medicine I'd be hopelessly lost when I'd need to buy a pool of thread. I don't
know whether this is more sad or cool. I'm not worried though, because I once worked my
English up the same position so I'm pretty sure I can do it again.

I've (re)started with German recently and currently my only means is parallel language
book. Frankly that's currently the only method that I've got time and patience for so
I'll see how far and fast I'll progress with that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6485 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 63 of 68
02 March 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
aabram wrote:

I've (re)started with German recently and currently my only means is parallel language
book. Frankly that's currently the only method that I've got time and patience for so
I'll see how far and fast I'll progress with that.

I would like to start using audio. I think it would be the best approach, but I use something like you. Reading what I like or need is the only method I can keep doing.

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 64 of 68
02 March 2011 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I think it’d be fair to say that the majority of learners in this forum adopt a literary perspective. For most, speaking is secondary.

If it’s your choice, then I have nothing to say, and reading is obviously the best way for you to learn. However, too many people concentrate on the written language simply by default, without questioning whether that’s the right thing for them to do.

Personally, passive understanding of words on a page is of minimal interest. Oral communication is the ultimate goal;

For me also oral communication is the ultimate goal. But extensive reading is one of my main methods for reaching that goal.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version