United States
Joined 4843 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 65 of 68
03 March 2011 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Some thoughts on this:

When I lived in Finland, CS Lewis's Narnia series was being published in paperback in Finnish. I bought a copy of the book every month, and I have the whole set. In the first volume, I have notes all through the margins of words and structures where I needed to find meaning.

I found the process of reading translated books easy, but I also wondered if it was easy for me because they were originally in English. I don't have an answer to that question.

Last week, I started reading a children's book originally written in German (Tintenherz by Cornelia Funke). I was noticing that I am getting faster all the time in my reading, though I have still not passed the first 100 pages.

This activity has helped me greatly. It reminded me of long-buried knowledge. In fact, I took a German university entrance exam and scored intermediate placement. I was definitely surprised by that!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5914 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 66 of 68
07 March 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I've noticed that I usually need to read a page twice.
I'll firstly read outloud and concentrate on pronunciation.
But the pronunciation of Polish demands all my brain power so that
I sometimes miss the understanding at this point!
When I read the page again, I concentrate on meaning - which is a mixture
of hyperliterally translating and then pondering a 'natural' interpretation.

I want to break the sequence of 1.Pronunciation > 2.Hyperliteral
translation into English > 3.Interpretion to elicit meaning.

This sequence is stilting and slow, and adds (or makes separate distinctions of)
processes that, one day, I hope my brain will somehow 'grasp'. I can almost feel my
brain physically adjusting to the onslaught of all this stange data.

1 person has voted this message useful

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 67 of 68
03 April 2011 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

The first volume was certainly very painful. In fact, I understood so little of the
first few chapters that my head was in the dictionary more often than in the harry
potter book. To relieve the agony, I re-read the first few chapters many times - and
each time felt that at last a glimmer of understanding was coming through. Well before
the end of the first book, though, I was starting to actually grasp the meaning of
whole sentences without a dictionary - which gave me quite a boost.

Congratulations on finding such a useful and effective method for you and thanks for
giving lots of info on it in your previous post. I've just got a few more questions if
you could:

1. How high was your level when you started? Beginner, low-intermediate etc.
2. Had you read it before in English? Did you have the English version with you?

Thanks for any extra info.

Edited by crafedog on 03 April 2011 at 7:30am

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5249 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 68 of 68
03 April 2011 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Oh, how I resent you people, rolling in Harry Potter books in your target language!

I must have spent more than 100 hours on the internet looking to find, buy, copy, download--ANYthing--a
Harry Potter book, or a Little House on the Prairie, or any famous English book, in Bengali. Found articles that
there might be one, was going to be one, no, it was a knock-off, the Rowland publishers stopped it. Actually the
book in question was a "Harry Potter book"-like story by some Bengali writer. Nobody sold it after the lawyers
got to them.

Also no question of bilingual editions. But this site did inspire me, as said in one post, to "make your own!" In
fact what I now like better is to go to Bengali book sites and buy the same book in both English and Bengali. So
the best bet for me to find is their Great Works, most likely to be translated and/or read. There are also some
excellent writers in Bangadesh, like Humayun Ahmed and Mohammad Jaffar Iqbal, who write for a young
audience as well. Those won't be translated, but the prose style is somewhat spare and I can guess where they're
going.

Finally I went into a hole-in-the-wall Queens store in New York--where I think they sold womens ' clothes,
including burkas--and books. They had, to my surprise, all 800 pages of Bill Clintons' My Life, in Bengali.
Sold! After that it was easy to get the original.

Nice thread, and good idea! I think it is well-suited for some of us especially. Thanks for posting!

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version