Germany
Joined 5357 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 9 of 35
15 February 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have several times passed for Spanish in spite of my blondness.

When I visited Bilbao, I was surprised by the variety of the locals. There seemed to be quite a few blonds and reds.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 10 of 35
15 February 2011 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
On a little side note, I wonder how long people can pass for native. A very good accent will throw people off initially, but as a few posters have mentioned, after a few minutes of conversation, natives soon realize that one is a foreigner. The problem is usually in the area of vocabulary and idiomatic speaking. I see this quite often in French where I've met people who are good at imitating the accent but soon give themselves away with egregious grammar mistakes and poor vocabulary.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4927 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 11 of 35
15 February 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
On a little side note, I wonder how long people can pass for native. A very good accent will throw people off initially, but as a few posters have mentioned, after a few minutes of conversation, natives soon realize that one is a foreigner. The problem is usually in the area of vocabulary and idiomatic speaking. I see this quite often in French where I've met people who are good at imitating the accent but soon give themselves away with egregious grammar mistakes and poor vocabulary.

I wonder why people are so obsessed with "passing" for native. Frankly, I'm MUCH more impressed with someone that has good command of the language over native accent (which is debatable in any case).

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 12 of 35
15 February 2011 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
s_allard wrote:

I wonder why people are so obsessed with "passing" for native. Frankly, I'm MUCH more impressed with someone that has good command of the language over native accent (which is debatable in any case).

R.
==

I totally agree with this. Those who have been around HTLAL for a while know that there is a school of thought here that claims that sounding like a native should be the aim of every language learner. Needless to say I think this is not necessary, although I have nothing against this as a personal goal. I even take the position that a little accent with impeccable grammar and vocabulary can actually be more attractive than blending in totally like a native. But don't get me started!

Edited by s_allard on 15 February 2011 at 10:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5390 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 13 of 35
15 February 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
hrhenry wrote:
s_allard wrote:
On a little side note, I wonder
how long people can pass for native. A very good accent will throw people off
initially, but as a few posters have mentioned, after a few minutes of conversation,
natives soon realize that one is a foreigner. The problem is usually in the area of
vocabulary and idiomatic speaking. I see this quite often in French where I've met
people who are good at imitating the accent but soon give themselves away with
egregious grammar mistakes and poor vocabulary.

I wonder why people are so obsessed with "passing" for native. Frankly, I'm MUCH more
impressed with someone that has good command of the language over native accent (which
is debatable in any case).

R.
==

I totally agree with this. Those who have been around HTLAL for a while know that there
is a school of thought here that claims that sounding like a native should be the aim
of every language learner. Needless to say I think this is not necessary, although I
have nothing against this as a personal goal. I even take the position that a little
accent with impeccable grammar and vocabulary can actually be more attractive than
blending in totally like a native. But don't get me started!

I too agree with this. I know it interesting to debate such things but I have no
desire to hide where I am from. I am not saying that is the aim of others here and of
course, I give some attention to my accent like almost everyone else but being
perfectly understood is much more appealing to me than what I think others see as some
ultimate 'end goal' of passing as a native speaker. If it happened naturally over time
and with an extended stay in the country of the language then great, but it's not
something I would ever really give much consideration to.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 14 of 35
16 February 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
I wonder why people are so obsessed with "passing" for native.

If someone has a view you disagree with, is it always an "obsession", or is it just this?

I've given my reasons for wanting to be able to pass for a native speaker many times, and I thought I was being reasoned and intelligent about it.

But now the good doctor hrhenry tells me it is an irrational obsession. Now, doc, what therapy will assist me in getting over this "obsession" and stop me putting all this irrational effort into trying to learn a language well?

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4927 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 15 of 35
16 February 2011 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

If someone has a view you disagree with, is it always an "obsession", or is it just this?

I've given my reasons for wanting to be able to pass for a native speaker many times, and I thought I was being reasoned and intelligent about it.

But now the good doctor hrhenry tells me it is an irrational obsession. Now, doc, what therapy will assist me in getting over this "obsession" and stop me putting all this irrational effort into trying to learn a language well?

Am I not allowed to disagree? Seems to me I'm not the one with an issue.

I simply stated that I don't understand why it seems to be such an ultimate goal, when it's really a very difficult thing to achieve as an adult. There are several people here claiming to have a native accent, yet when I listen to them on youtube, I clearly hear a non-native accent. I don't hold that against them at all - for the ones I'm referencing, their command of the language is impeccable. But I find it a bit, well, delusional.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 16 February 2011 at 1:20am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 35
16 February 2011 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I tend to agree with HrHenry - if I lived in another country among people who spoke one of my target languages, I might adopt their way of speaking. But it won't happen here in Denmark, where I mostly access my languages through writing OR in a purely passive way through TV and the internet.

I prefer setting myself a realistic goal, like for instance learning twenty languages at least to basic fluency. If I did want to pass for a native speaker of just a few of them I would first have to decide which dialects I wanted to emulate, and then I would have to focus all my energy on just those few variants, leaving out everything else - it would be an unbearable thought! It is the variation I find most interesting, not becoming just another copy of somebody.

Edited by Iversen on 16 February 2011 at 1:50am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version