Diglot
United States
Joined 4951 days ago

37 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: DutchB1

Message 17 of 35
16 February 2011 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I’ll try to click around to find some of the past discussions of “passing” so I don’t repeat anything that’s been discussed to death. But if I had to pretend to be another nationality to save my life at a border crossing during wartime, I hope I could pass well enough to nail every shibboleth the agents threw at me. I just don’t know whether I’d want the agents to be people who don’t get out much or people who do. Who’s more likely to let a nonnative pass: someone who’s not around many foreigners, or someone who’s around lots?

I’ve had the OP’s experience after short exchanges in Spanish: “Are you from [X-Spanish-speaking country]? No? Then where are your parents from?” But in my case I think it’s a pretty ambiguous question. The person could just as easily mean, “You aren’t Mexican like everyone else here, so what strange/other/non-Mexican thing are you?”   Not to mention that a sentence or two more and the game is completely over, anyway.

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 18 of 35
16 February 2011 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I tend to agree with HrHenry - if I lived in another country among people who spoke one of my target languages, I might adopt their way of speaking. But it won't happen here in Denmark, where I mostly access my languages through writing OR in a purely passive way through TV and the internet.

I prefer setting myself a realistic goal, like for instance learning twenty languages at least to basic fluency. If I did want to pass for a native speaker of just a few of them I would first have to decide which dialects I wanted to emulate, and then I would have to focus all my energy on just those few variants, leaving out everything else - it would be an unbearable thought! It is the variation I find most interesting, not becoming just another copy of somebody.

I think this says it all. If you want to pass for a native speaker, this is what you have to do. Nothing wrong with this, but not everybody shares this goal.

The fundamental issue here seems to be "sounding" like a native. In other words, it's all about achieving a native-like phonetic performance. What is not mentioned is the actual ability to use the language like a native. This is where things fall apart very quickly. So, in essence passing for native is in most cases giving an impressive first impression. This is not always very difficult. As I'm sure many people here have experienced, it's one thing to be able to ask a question in a credible manner, it's another thing to understand the answer. That's where the problems arise.

Just yesterday, I had the occasion to use some of my rusty Italian. I've been told in the past that it sounds quite good. The problem is that after I used up the few phrases that I can use with great polish I barely had a clue of what was replied to me. It made for a very laborious conversation. It was rather quite embarrassing.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 35
16 February 2011 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
These discussions always puzzle me. If I learn a language I will always attempt to make both my accent and my grammar and vocabulary as good as possible. I do not set out saying. "Hm. Let me think, should I focus on accent or functionality?" I want both!

Obviously, it will be very hard to get a perfect acccent in a foreign language if you are sitting in your home town, but I still do not get this either/or thing about accent. And it is not about hiding where you are from, it is just about doing it as good as you can.

I will always try to have a lot of oral input, but I am of course aware of the fact that I will never have a native accent in Russian, because I do not get enough input. Even my English accent, though perfectly understandable, will never be native, because it is a mix of all the different American and English accents I hear. If you really want to have a native accent, I think you need to stay in the country for some time, preferably before you are 15.

I agree with s allard when it comes to the uselessness of pronouncing a few sentences very well, and not be able to follow it up. I used to be a little parrot when I was younger, which always got me into trouble. In Israel I would say "Lo medaberet ivrit" (I do not speak Hebrew) in perfect Hebrew, which they of course then did not believe, and continued speaking Hebrew to me, and also in Germany as an 11 year old, I would say "Ich verstehe kein deutch" with a pronunciation which made everybody speak German to me. These are however exceptions. Usually you have a heavy accent until you speak the language fairly well.

I never understand why we are even debating this. Who sets our to have a bad accent?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 16 February 2011 at 9:42am

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5390 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 20 of 35
16 February 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Well, this forum is for discussions on such topics and it wouldn't be very interesting
if we all thought the same thing. As some people with a differing viewpoint have
acknowledged, they couldn't pass for a native for more and a sentence or two or maybe a
couple of minutes. Whilst it's not the case I would ever set out to have a bad accent
(quite the opposite in fact), I think the point is more that is it really worth the
effort to go from the stage of being fluent but having a bit of an accent to being able
to pass as a native with your accent? Like I said in my previous post, if was at the
former stage, then this would be something I would maybe acquire over an extended time
naturally but not something that would particularly worry about if I am already able to
communicate effectively.   A final thought, I've yet to hear the definitive accent of a
country. Each country is made up of various accents and to concentrate on one could
potentially have detrimental effects as people often (wrongly, it has to be said) have
intellectual abilities and other characteristics assumed purely on their accent in the
first instance.

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4880 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 21 of 35
16 February 2011 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
I would say the accent spoken by the top news anchor men and women is pretty much the standard accent. You can't go wrong with that.

Sorry to ask a Hebrew question here (@ Solfrid Cristin): is it ok to omit the pronoun in present tense's first person? Only saw it at the second person present tense and in past tense first and second singular and plural.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 16 February 2011 at 12:04pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4927 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 22 of 35
16 February 2011 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

The fundamental issue here seems to be "sounding" like a native. In other words, it's all about achieving a native-like phonetic performance. What is not mentioned is the actual ability to use the language like a native. This is where things fall apart very quickly. So, in essence passing for native is in most cases giving an impressive first impression. This is not always very difficult.

I think striving for a native-like accent is a good thing, no question. But "passing" - the term being thrown around most often here - sort of gives the impression that it's a game. And as a few people have said, it's not that hard to play that game for a couple sentences.

But for an adult language learner to keep it up for any length of time is damn difficult and takes years of living in the target language environment and most often will still have traces of non-nativeness, even if it's not immediately obvious to listeners what exactly that non-nativeness is. By the time a person is able to pull off a native-like or near-native accent for an extended length of time and in any situation, they'll most likely be at a point with the language that they re no longer concerned with "passing".

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 16 February 2011 at 12:23pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 35
16 February 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Meelämmchen wrote:

Sorry to ask a Hebrew question here (@ Solfrid Cristin): is it ok to omit the pronoun in present tense's first person? Only saw it at the second person present tense and in past tense first and second singular and plural.

Oops. Did I forget the "Ani"? It should of course be with the pronoun. I guess I am too influenced by Spanish. Thanks for reminding me. It says a lot about my Hebrew that I do not even remember the one sentence I used to know properly. Definitely a need for a Hebrew challenge next year!!!

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5466 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 24 of 35
16 February 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Except for people who have lived in-country for decades, I have never met anybody who can
speak a foreign language without being detected as a foreigner within a minute. It is not
just a matter of accent, but also of ever-changing idiomatic speech and cultural
background.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version