Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 35
16 February 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Except for people who have lived in-country for decades, I have never met anybody who can
speak a foreign language without being detected as a foreigner within a minute. It is not
just a matter of accent, but also of ever-changing idiomatic speech and cultural
background.

For decades, or as a child. Most children can pick up a local accent within months, and will soon adapt to their surroundings.

Two films I have seen come to mind to. The first was "Shining Through" with Melanie Griffith, where she supposedly is able to work as a spy in Germany without anyone discovering her being American, because her mother was German. I do not buy that. I think any German would have unmasked her within minutes.

The other film was "Unglorious Bastards" (with among other Brad Pitt) where one of the charachters, a Brit, passes himself off as German, and of course people start asking questions quickly, and although one of the other Germans assures everyone that she knows him personally, and that he just has a weird accent because he comes from a little village, he is caught because of his body language.

Unglorious Bastards is by the way an absolute gem for anyone interested in languages. It is quite brutal, but I think one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen, from a liguistic point of view, was Brad Pitt being forced to put on display his horrible Italian (he tries to pass himself off as Italian) by a German whose Italian is extremely good.

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 26 of 35
16 February 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Am I not allowed to disagree? Seems to me I'm not the one with an issue.

I simply stated that I don't understand why it seems to be such an ultimate goal,

Did you "simply state" that or did you use the word "obsessed". Perhaps I am the one with an issue. If you didn't write that then I must be going completely mad, because when I read your post, I still see it...

Or do you honestly feel that there's nothing offensive about using the term "obsessed" like that?
Iversen wrote:
If I did want to pass for a native speaker of just a few of them I would first have to decide which dialects I wanted to emulate, and then I would have to focus all my energy on just those few variants,

How so? I'm happy enough with people thinking I'm a native speaker but not knowing where I'm from.
s_allard wrote:
The fundamental issue here seems to be "sounding" like a native. In other words, it's all about achieving a native-like phonetic performance. What is not mentioned is the actual ability to use the language like a native. This is where things fall apart very quickly.

I believe I've stated on several occassions that I see good pronunciation as an aid to noticing correct grammatical structures. I think you're charicaturing people here -- as Solfid says, it's not either/or, we want both.
magictom123 wrote:
I think the point is more that is it really worth the
effort to go from the stage of being fluent but having a bit of an accent to being able
to pass as a native with your accent? Like I said in my previous post, if was at the
former stage, then this would be something I would maybe acquire over an extended time
naturally but not something that would particularly worry about if I am already able to
communicate effectively.

As I always say, if you wait until you're fluent to work on your accent, it's a lot more difficult than if you get into good habits early.
hrhenry wrote:
I think striving for a native-like accent is a good thing, no question. But "passing" - the term being thrown around most often here - sort of gives the impression that it's a game. And as a few people have said, it's not that hard to play that game for a couple sentences.

But for an adult language learner to keep it up for any length of time is damn difficult

It is a game and it's good fun.
It's also a great way to measure your progress -- how long you can keep it up before you give yourself away. After all, people tend to be forgiving of your mistakes once they know you're a foreigner, so the "oh wait, you're not [whatever]" moment is the most honest and clear feedback you're likely to get.
Quote:
and most often will still have traces of non-nativeness, even if it's not immediately obvious to listeners what exactly that non-nativeness is.

Yup, that's the game -- hold off the moment of discovery as long as you can. It's a game you can always get better at. I always try to beat my personal best cycling to work, I do the same when meeting new people from overseas.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 27 of 35
16 February 2011 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Two films I have seen come to mind to. The first was "Shining Through" with Melanie Griffith, where she supposedly is able to work as a spy in Germany without anyone discovering her being American, because her mother was German. I do not buy that. I think any German would have unmasked her within minutes.

Before TV became mainstream, most people wouldn't really know much about people from other parts of their own country. The general rule for spies trying to pass off as a different nationality was always to pretend to be from a region as far away as possible from where they were working -- people would then dismiss your mistakes as differences in local custom or dialect. If you were going to Bavaria, claim to be from Lower Saxony. If you were going to Leningrad, pretend to be from Siberia. If you were going to Newcastle, pretend to be Welsh or Cornish.
5 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4927 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 28 of 35
16 February 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Did you "simply state" that or did you use the word "obsessed". Perhaps I am the one with an issue. If you didn't write that then I must be going completely mad, because when I read your post, I still see it...

Or do you honestly feel that there's nothing offensive about using the term "obsessed" like that?

Yes, I did state that, and no offense was intended by it. But it makes you feel better, let me rephrase: I believe that too many people place too much importance on something that will never fully be achieved, outside of spending many years in the target country, at the expense of other, more important things, such as grammar, idioms and culture.

Better?

Quote:

I think you're charicaturing people here -- as Solfid says, it's not either/or, we want both.

I don't believe anyoone in this thread has stated it's an either/or thing, but I'll have to go back through the thread.

Quote:

It's also a great way to measure your progress

It may be one way to measure progress, but it's certainly not the only way, or even the best way, in my opinion.

R.
==

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 29 of 35
16 February 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I don't know how many times we have to have this dreadful discussion. If some people believe that passing for native, fleetingly or permanently, is their purpose of learning a language, that is certainly a worthy goal. On the other hand, some people, including myself, believe that passing for native is not their goal and that the end result of learning a foreign language at an adult age can take other forms. I think both points of view can co-exist peacefully.

The only problem seems to be that some people on both sides of the divide seem to believe that their goal should be the only purpose of learning a language. I believe in linguistic hedonism. Do what makes you happy. Don't mind me and I won't mind you.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 30 of 35
16 February 2011 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Before TV became mainstream, most people wouldn't really know much about people from other parts of their own country. The general rule for spies trying to pass off as a different nationality was always to pretend to be from a region as far away as possible from where they were working -- people would then dismiss your mistakes as differences in local custom or dialect. If you were going to Bavaria, claim to be from Lower Saxony. If you were going to Leningrad, pretend to be from Siberia. If you were going to Newcastle, pretend to be Welsh or Cornish.

Yes, that sounds quite reasonable, but I still have problems believing that someone could pass as native, just from having a mother from the country. Even if we assume that they spoke German all the time together, and that she had no American accent, which in itself is a stretch of the imagination, it is precisely the little bits of language that changes over time that would give her away. I notice it myself when I speak French. What sounded cool in the mouth of a 14 year old in 1976 sounds most uncool from the mouth of a 48 year old in 2011.

I remember a story from some years back, when a guy was stopped for speeding, and refused to give his driving liscense. It turned out that he was the son of Norwegian parents living in the States, and he was fluent in Norwegian,(although with a weird dialect) but had never heard the word before, since there were few cars when his parents left for the US. Hence the refusal to hand it over, since he did not know the word, and did not understand what he was asked for.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5227 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 31 of 35
17 February 2011 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Although my position on trying to pass for a native speaker is quite clear, I would like to emphasize that in my opinion we all basically share the similar concrete objective of mastering the target language as best as possible. Obviously, the word best means different things to different people. I actually like what I call the romantic idea of speaking like a native. I fantasize being able to sound like someone I hear on Spanish radio or the television. But when I open my eyes and look in the mirror I say to myself, "Get real. At your age, there is no way in hell that you will ever speak like a native from Mexico City or from Madrid. Get over it." And the real problem is not actually sounding like a native, it's being able to use the language like a native.

I think a lot of people don't realize what it takes to really speak a language well. I take that back. Here at HTLAL, most people know how hard it is to arrive at a point where one feels truly comfortable in a language, let's say CEFR C2 and beyond. Something as simple as being able to talk to young children can be very challenging because it is not something that is often taught. Or take a slightly technical task like explaining how certain things work. So you speak language x well. Then explain to me how to play a game on a smartphone, how to change diapers on a baby, how a gas-electric car works, how to paint the walls of a house, how to cook a roast chicken, etc.

Many of us may not know all the technical vocabulary surrounding all those activities even in our own languages. For example, we may not know what regenerative braking means when speaking of automobiles, but basically most people who grow up in modern society are exposed to a wide variety of terminological experiences and are able to express themselves with some degree of accuracy about certain common things, events or facts. And when we don't know the exact terms, we know how to use workarounds or synonymous terms. All of this forms the basis of the cultural knowledge that we incorporate into our speaking a language.

This is exactly why even as advanced speakers of a foreign language we sometimes "run out of gas" when we have to talk about a simple subject that may be totally unfamiliar to us. For example, I would be very hard pressed if I had to explain how to drive a manual transmission car in Spanish, something that I could do spontaneously in French or English. And you want me to sound like a native Spanish speaker to boot? Not in this life.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 35
17 February 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
The general rule for spies trying to pass off as a different nationality was always to pretend to be from a region as far away as possible from where they were working -- people would then dismiss your mistakes as differences in local custom or dialect.

Iversen wrote:
The point is: you tend to blame apparent irregularities from a fluent speaker on yourself if you believe he/she is a native speaker, but on the person in question if you have a suspicion that he/she 'only' is a L2 learner - though maybe an excellent one.

So there we have already lowered the bar: we don't have to sound like a native speaker from exactly the spot where we stand, trying to impress some local person. It's enough to speak some other dialect like a native, - and maybe without touching 'risky' subjects like car repairs, semiotics or local gossip.

The question is how much we really differ in the way we study languages. Some declare that their goal is to become as good as a (good) native speaker, others declare that they want to become as good as possible with the ressources that they can muster. Personally I have been in the situation where people mistook me for a native speaker, though not from their own region (or at least originally from somewhere else) - and only after having spent several days speaking the language in question. Yet I have never said that passing for a native is my goal because I know that I won't be able to allot the ressources necessary to keep up that level, including long immersion stays abroad.

I think my position is close to that of s_allard:

s_allard wrote:
Although my position on trying to pass for a native speaker is quite clear, I would like to emphasize that in my opinion we all basically share the similar concrete objective of mastering the target language as best as possible. (...) But when I open my eyes and look in the mirror I say to myself, "Get real. At your age, there is no way in hell that you will ever speak like a native from Mexico City or from Madrid. Get over it."

Edited by Iversen on 17 February 2011 at 1:25pm

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version