Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 25 of 32
03 June 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I love it when people make fun of my language. Börk börk börk.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 26 of 32
03 June 2011 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
You call that a language? I doubt anyone can pronounce it like that, are you sure it's not more like 'bork bork bork' ? :)

OK, I've just remembered one when >I< was the obnoxious tourist. I was in Vienna, and I had hopped on an escalator going down into the metro system, when I noticed a signal that read 'Bitte auf rechts stehen'. So I was there thinking, 'oh that's a good idea, you stand on the right side of the escalator so if somebody's in a rush he/she can walk past you using the gap you leave on the left side, and they even tell tourists so they don't get in the way...' when some angry guy screams something right into my right ear and walks past me before I snap out of my reverie. It took me a second to stop being outraged at how rude that was and notice that I was standing on the left side of the escalator, and what the guy had told me was "bitte auf rechts stehen", precisely.

Edited by mrwarper on 03 June 2011 at 11:26pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5767 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 27 of 32
04 June 2011 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
If I saw someone visiting Winnipeg and acting really excited about everything, I certainly wouldn't think that's obnoxious. I would just feel proud of my city.

I returned to my childhood Winterpeg last January for a visit after an absence of about thirty years and I actually was excited about practically everything, but most of the citizens just thought I was slightly simple or something.

Congrats on geting the Jets back; I will be sorry for the city if you lose the Moose.

P.S. Go 'Nucks.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 28 of 32
04 June 2011 at 9:22am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
You call that a language? I doubt anyone can pronounce it like that, are you sure it's not more
like 'bork bork bork' ? :)

The dots are for aesthetic purposes only. Everyone knows they don't affect the pronunciation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 29 of 32
04 June 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
The dots are for aesthetic purposes only. Everyone knows they don't affect the pronunciation.

Now THAT's obnoxious, dude! You come to our Internet demanding that we all speak a half-made up language like natives and to top it off I have to stick yet another key in my keyboard just to please your aesthetic criteria? Who do you think you are, Tolkien? :)

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 30 of 32
05 June 2011 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Speaking as a Metropolis denizen, it's not the tourists but rather the linguistic sub-cultures that many large cities so proudly sport that annoy me. I can only hope they're tourists unaware or the size of the language communities.

A great number of Russian and Spanish speakers here, commonly behave as if they're a reincarnation of shrink-wrapped Travolta from a "bubbly" movie -- that's to say behaving as if nobody but immediate company is able to understand them.

I don't have enough fingers to count all the times, when I've heard the recepient of loud and often obnoxious comments, mumble off 'idiots' under their breath as they or the offending party were getting off at their subway stop.

At least the hilarity that sometimes ensues beats trying to appear to be fascinated by the empty space between your fellow passengers' heads while silently acknowledging their identical intent.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 32
07 June 2011 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Actually I think "Börk börk börk" is fairly accurate. OK, it came from a Swede so..

Generally I don't get too offended by people who make fun of my own language, Danish - we can speak twice as fast by leaving out all the unnecessary sounds, so obviously it is a sound tactic. But this thread started out with a far worse problem, namely the generally offensive, obnoxious and disruptive behavior of some persons.

The big question is whether this problem is accentuated when they are abroad. Personally I think that this could be the case, because the persons in question assume that their bad jokes aren't understood abroad, and that their mum won't won't hear about their antics. Plus the possibility that those persons stay drunk for the whole duration of their holiday, whereas they have to get sober at least half the time at home in order not to be fired. The jokes about foreign languages are fairly peripheral in this context. The big problem is the nasty side that is revealed when people let loose.

Rameau
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5918 days ago

149 posts - 258 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanC1, Danish
Studies: Swedish, French, Icelandic

Message 32 of 32
07 June 2011 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Danish - we can speak twice as fast by leaving out all the unnecessary sounds

And a lot of the necessary ones, too!

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version