Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6329 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 11 of 56
22 February 2011 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Here's a third version. I think there's still room for improvement, but it's getting
there. PDF Version 3

This sample text is just to get the formatting right. I know there are often many
translations of popular books, and it's important to choose the right one.

I'm planning to sell printed books, and also provide links to corresponding audiobooks
(both free and commercial). This approach has three advantages: people get a hard copy,
so they don't have to sit in front of a computer, I can collect royalties and therefore
use copyrighted texts, and also I can get some compensation for the time I spend on
this project :-). I have in fact done a lot of experimentation with digital files with
text and embedded audio. I will have a think about this again.

I am interested in doing a range of languages, and it will probably make sense to find
a few other people to work with me. The aspects I could use help with are:
-Choosing suitable books.
-Investigating the different translations and audiobooks available.
-Obtaining permission to use the texts (if required).
-Aligning

If you are interested, send me a PM.

David

Edited by DavidW on 22 February 2011 at 7:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6329 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 

Message 12 of 56
22 February 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
The translation of 'The days' by the American University in Cairo press is listed as
'Reprint rights in English available' in their catalogue, so it shouldn't be too
difficult to get permission, although I haven't managed to get through on the phone
yet. The Arabic original is in the public domain.

Majed, the reader from mijobooks.com, has agreed to read the title. It will take him
about a month or so to do the reading. His response to the suggestion of doing 'The
Days' was:

"The Days" is one of the best candidates for this project. After all it was in the
school curriculum. AUC translations are good, and I think it would be a sentence for a
sentence. This same book was converted to a TV sitcom back in the 70's starred by a
well known actor called "Ahmad Zaki" and then made it's way to the cinema with a film
by the same name, and the same actor. It was a great hit back then.

There is also a French version of the book available by the original writer, so I will
likely do a English/Arabic and French/Arabic version.

It's looking good. Please let me know what you think of the proposed formatting.

David

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6329 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 

Message 14 of 56
22 February 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
A couple more variations:
Version 4a
Version 4b

I agree that all the lines in version 3 are distracting. 4a is a little better, but still
not great. 4b goes back to bulletpoints to mark lines that are aligned.

Do you mean every fifth line, or every fifth sentence are numbered? What is the advantage
of this?

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by DavidW on 22 February 2011 at 9:03pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6273 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 16 of 56
22 February 2011 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
I like 4a best.

Thank you so much for starting this project! Arabic L-R materials are incredibly hard
to come by, and I will definitely be buying. I would much prefer an electronic version
though, because it is recommended to use a pop-up dictionary when L-Ring a distant
language. Especially at the beginning I will have to look up too many words for
comfort, and you know that looking up Arabic words isn't as easy for a beginner due to
the stem issue. If the parallel text was available in HTML format for example, I could
use any number of browser plugins show me word meanings without interrupting the flow
of reading.

I believe you could charge for an electronic version just as you could charge for a
physical book - on Amazon, ebooks are not even much cheaper than paperbacks, meaning
that publishers get a much greater profit per sale. Besides, it would probably result
in more sales, considering that international shipping often costs more than the book
itself.

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version