Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6329 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 33 of 56
27 February 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for that. Does the Arabic look natural to you?
1 person has voted this message useful

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4993 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 34 of 56
27 February 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
DavidW wrote:
Since the bilingual book is already available, it would just be a matter of
producing the audiobook.

But you will need permission from the Arabic translator to record it.

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6329 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 

Message 35 of 56
27 February 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Forgot that :-).. unless the translation is now in the public domain. The translator is
Amiirah.. Kiiwaan(?). There could be some more info on page 5 of the PDF, but my Arabic
isn't good enough.

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4993 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 36 of 56
27 February 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
DavidW wrote:
Forgot that :-).. unless the translation is now in the public domain. The translator is
Amiirah.. Kiiwaan(?). There could be some more info on page 5 of the PDF, but my Arabic
isn't good enough.

There's no info in the PDF about the translator apart from her name. I doubt the translation is in the public domain. Also it would be worth checking that an audiobook of it doesn't already exist, perhaps by contacting the publisher Dar al-Bihar.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6273 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 37 of 56
27 February 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
I have the little prince, the adventures of Huckleberry Finn and pride and prejudice as
bilingual books by Dar al-Bihar. The layout is satisfactory. It's a pity the wording of
the stories has been simplified (at least in English), but maybe that will be a blessing
when I read the Arabic.

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6329 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 

Message 38 of 56
28 February 2011 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
The English Alice in Wonderland text in the PDF seems to be the original.

I will get in touch with Dar al-Bihar this week and ask them about the audio book and the
rights, to see what the possibilities are.

Edited by DavidW on 28 February 2011 at 1:10am

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6062 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 39 of 56
03 March 2011 at 1:01am | IP Logged 

Quote:
Does the Arabic look natural to you?

Yes, it's natural as a translated work.

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6329 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 

Message 40 of 56
04 March 2011 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
I asked Majed about 'Alice in Wonderland.' He said he didn't think the translation
wouldn't be suitable for students of Arabic, as it doesn't read as a book originally
written in Arabic. He said this is common for books translated into Arabic. I don't
know if that is what you meant, Hashimi. Unfortunately I can't judge the text for
myself.

He also made some suggestions for other books. I have copied from his email below.
Comments and suggestions are welcome. I have made some progress on the rights to 'The
Days,' and I will continue to try to get the rights to 'Doaa Al-Karawan,' for which
Majed already has an audiobook. He has also started the reading of 'The Days.'

----

The Arabic language, like the English language, has evolved during the last 80 years.
If we go back more than 80 years, the written language would remind more Shakespearean
English. If we are looking for Arabic books for learning the language, I think sticking
to the last 80 years would be a fairly good choice. Following are some famous Egyptian
writers from the last 80 years, where it is fairly possible to find translations to
many foreign languages, and they write in a fairly easy language. I am listing them in
the order of preference.

1- Tawfik Al Hakim October 9, 1898 – July 26, 1987 Egyptian writer, nominated for
Nobel, wrote a famous book called (The return of the spirit) which was the innovation
for Nasser and a prediction for the 1952 revolution. He was called the father of the
modern theater. He believed that the colloquial Egyptian languages comes from deep
Arabic conventional roots, he writes his novels and plays in a particular way, where
you can read it in colloquial Egyptian language and it will be correct, and if you read
it in conventional Arabic, it will be also correct. An excellent choice for Arabic
language students, who can learn the common vocabulary used in colloquial and
conventional Arabic. Most of his work is translated.

2- Taha Hussein (November 14, 1889—October 28, 1973) He was called the Deen of Arabic
literature. He uses elegant conventional Arabic style. Most of his books are narrated.
Most of his work is translated.

3- Nagiub Mahfouz (December 11, 1911 – August 30, 2006) Noble prize awarded .He uses
simple language, deep meanings. Most of his novels describe life in the alleys of
Cairo, where he lived, conveying the real soul of Cairo at the time. He was called the
people's writer.Most of his work is translated

4- Ihsan Abdel Quddous (January 1, 1919 – January 11, 1990) He was a political
journalist, and the son of rose AlYousef, the founder of a very famous magazine in
Egypt. Famous for his love stories, where he digs deep inside the female personality,
in a deeply sensitive way. He uses simple language, and sometimes colloquial in
dialogue. Most of his work is translated

5- Anis Mansour August 18, 1925- Journalist, mostly write about travel , science
fiction, and secret powers.Most of his work is translated

6- Mahmoud Alsadany 1928-2010 sarcastic Egyptian writer/journalist, uses simple
language with some colloquial.

7- Moustafa Amin 1914 - 1997 Most well known columnist in Egypt. founded Akhbar Alyoum
newspaper with his twin brother Ali. Writes elegantly deep metaphoric political novels.

8- Ahmed Khaled Tawfik known for his pocket series books. simple language books, all
about science fiction, his writings remind Edgar Alan poe.

Although these writers books are not in the public domain, they would be the best match
for our project. I think getting the approval to use the texts would not be a problem,
as most of their books are out of print.

Edited by DavidW on 04 March 2011 at 10:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version