Groupie
United States
Joined 6144 days ago

50 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 17 of 56
23 February 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
I will also definitely buy. Personally, I like version 2 best. The lines used to separate
the passages make it easier for me to keep my place. But I have no real suggestions. I'm
a big fan of the idea and effort.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6243 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 18 of 56
23 February 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I second what Sprachprofi says: please make your texts available electronically. Between a physical book and a digital text, the latter is much more useful for L-R, because of pop-up dictionaries (as well as browser plugins for google translate, etc - it's surprisingly useful for getting a more 'word by word' meaning of phrases translated idiomatically).

She's also right about etexts being more affordable: shipping can easily end up dominating the cost of buying a book. Etexts also reduce costs for you.

If you provide etexts, please use a simple, open format. HTML would be good - the tools I use for doing L-R are all browser plugins.

One alternative I like would be if you'd provide both physical and electronic books - with the electronic versions included on a CD with the book, or for download to owners of the book. But if I had to choose digital or paper L-R material, digital definitely is better.

Thank you for undertaking the making of Arabic L-R material.

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6330 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 19 of 56
23 February 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I will look into the digital version. Are PDFs still problematic with pop-up
dictionaries? Do you want to use the texts with ebook readers? HTML would be easy to
do. I will have to get permission from the copyright holders first, so no promises yet.

I wanted to talk about the different options for the formatting, and why the samples
look like they do. You can align the two texts on different levels:

Tight Alignment <.................................................> Loose Alignment
Word Aligned...Clause Aligned...Sentance Aligned...Paragraph Aligned...Page Aligned

Word Aligned Interlinear text - As words must correspond one-to-one, the English
translation will be unidiomatic and perhaps unintelligable. Often used for religious
texts, where each word is also often annotated with gramiatical notes, I don't think it
really fits with the L/R method, where you are more concerned about global
understanding that the exact meaning of specific words. You would have to make a new
literal translation from scratch, and would be a massive task.

Clause/Sentance aligned - This is what I showed in the example layouts as a two-
column format. It's about as close an alignment you can get with an idiomatic
translation. It allows you to quickly move your eyes from one text to the other without
loosing your place. Disadvantage is that you must sometimes leave white space or reduce
the letter spacing excessively to get the two texts to stay in sync, so it can look a
bit untidy compared to a paragraph aligned text.

Paragraph Aligned - this is what most parallel texts seem to use. It works quite well
unless paragraphs are very long, like in some of Kafka's works.

There is also the format followed by many texts on franklang.ru, the 'Ilyi Franka
method.' A sample text is

here

Here a translation and vocabulary is in the brackets. I find these a little less easy
to read.

People will probably use these materials in different ways, and different formatting
provides different advantages. Do you agree that clause/sentance alignment in a two-
column format is the way to go?

Edited by DavidW on 23 February 2011 at 9:28pm

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6454 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 20 of 56
24 February 2011 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
I'm a big fan of the principles of L-R and parallel books, in general. Good on you,
DavidW, for taking on this task.

As regards an internet-based, L-R-friendly source of authentic Arabic material, might I
suggest naturalarabic.com. It violates a few of
the principles of L-R (long texts, different authors), but it does some aspects
splendidly. They've recently added a really cool search function across all their
(400+) mini-articles, vocab quizzes, etc.

Anyways, you might see how they've dealt with the same issues you have, albeit on an
website.

Note: I have no monetary interest in naturalarabic.com (except for subscribing for 7
bucks a month). I tend to come on HTLAL every once in awhile and always end up
suggesting this site on the Arabic forums.

KSAKSA
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4949 days ago

65 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Gulf)

Message 21 of 56
26 February 2011 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
I like Version 4b and would prefer a hard copy, but that's just me.

You've taken on a mammoth task and I, for one, appreciate it. Please keep us all updated so we can know when we need to put our money where our mouths are :)

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5149 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 22 of 56
26 February 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
I would definitely purchase printed versions of these books; I wouldn't bother with electronic ones. Regarding the audio though, I don't care if it is offered in download or disc form. I would also be interested in Persian, Urdu and Hebrew editions. The target-language text must have been originally written in that language however.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5149 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 24 of 56
26 February 2011 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
minaaret wrote:
You can always print an etext, but it is rather difficult to scan, OCR and proofread a physical book.

No, I don't want and am not willing to pay for some makeshift stack of paper off my printer, and I certainly won't strain my eyesight reading off an electronic screen or put up with the temperament of electronic gadgets.

Like I said, I'd be interested in purchasing real book editions of this project.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version