Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5071 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 20
28 March 2011 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Anyone who has studied (and perhaps is fluent in) a number of languages, is the subjective feeling that a learner
has of a particular language being "faster" than another, valid or based purely on lack of knowledge of the language
being learned?

I was just listening to a Spanish hour-long news report and the speed seems substantially greater to me than either
of my two native languages. Is Spanish in reality "faster" than English or does it just appear that way to me?

Edited by Merv on 28 March 2011 at 2:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4984 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 2 of 20
28 March 2011 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
People who say people are speak another language faster than we speak English have always perplexed me. I've never been able to hear it. So it's probably just a perception based on lack of knowledge of the language.

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4972 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 20
28 March 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
In my opinion, Spanish sounds faster than what it really is. Right it now, it seems that Germans speak really fast, but that might be because I'm still getting used to it.

I'm curious to see if there is any research on syllables per minute for different languages.

cntrational
Triglot
Groupie
India
Joined 4925 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*
Studies: French

Message 4 of 20
28 March 2011 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
I've heard that fluent speakers of languages perceive pauses between words that don't actually exist.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5940 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 5 of 20
28 March 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
cntrational wrote:
I've heard that fluent speakers of languages perceive pauses between words that don't actually exist.

I can attest to that. My grandparents once told me that when they hear people speaking Spanish it sounds to them like one long, endless word until the person stops speaking. I, on the other hand, disagree completely and can clearly hear the breaks between all the words as if it were English. When you think about it, it really is just one long stream of sounds and the pauses we hear between words are because we're familiar enough with these sounds to intuitively divide them into individual lexical entities which appear to stand alone.

With that said, Spanish does sound faster to me than any of the other languages I'm familiar with, except maybe Japanese.
3 persons have voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5331 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 6 of 20
28 March 2011 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
I'm inclined to think that it has to do more with general national character and personal
expressiveness of any particular speaker rather than languages itself plus general
attitude and concerning public speaking. Raw data output per minute is definitely higher
for average Spanish speaker than it is for average Estonian speaker as watching daily
newscasts reveals. You just don't machine-gun the news in Estonian, it is not considered
acceptable. You could, there's nothing in language itself that hinders it, it's just not
the norm. The art of public speaking and the art of expressing oneself in general is
clearly different between cultures.

That being said, I somewhat feel that greater speed also brings about more fluff to fill
the gaps that would otherwise occur. Only a small minority of people can pump out
sensible, well thought out, logical, coherent speech in high speed.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 20
28 March 2011 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
I have seen a reference to some research that showed that Danes say more words pr. time unit than Swedes - and the result is of course that Danish is more difficult to understand for foreigners. Besides people from a big town like Copenhagen are perceived to speak faster than people from the country side, but this is probably a common phenomenon, and besides the differences are less now with all the fast speakers in the media. Between Danish and Swedish the two languages are so close that the length of single words or grammatical features are irrelevant - it is only a question of degree of slurryness.

The 'pauses' between words may be fictive - if you know where the border between words should then you may hear the potential separations as pauses. But this is not different from being able to read for instance old Latin inscriptions without spaces.

Edited by Iversen on 28 March 2011 at 12:15pm

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version