koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5666 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 17 of 20
31 March 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Spanish is indeed spoken faster than a lot of languages out there and that might be the reason why many Portuguese speakers, besides the huge similarity to Spanish, cannot understand what the speaker is saying most of the times. It's like a machine gun.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5228 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 18 of 20
31 March 2011 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Besides wrong perceptions, and besides the fact that assessing speed between languages would have to rely on varying definitions of what a word is, I do think you could evaluate the same language over different territories and notice a difference in speed. For instance, French in Africa is probably not spoken as fast as in France, and you're likely to find variations within those territories.

I think Arekkusu is quite right here. The objective speed (as measured by something like syllables per minute) probably varies considerably geographically, individually and also most likely according to the circumstances.

But I think the real issue here is that it is a known fact that when you don't understand a language, it always seems fast. As others have pointed out, this is because the sound seems to be a stream of continuous sounds. When you understand a language, the perception of speed changes hugely. Yes, some people are slower or faster than others but for different reasons. For example, teenagers speak faster than older adults. Comedians tend to speak really quickly. Politicians will speak in a deliberate way that is not too fast. And they can all be very understandable.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5106 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 19 of 20
31 March 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
My native language, Cantonese, is also syllable-timed, but I'm sure Spanish and Japanese, also syllable-timed, are spoken much faster than Cantonese. When I try to parrot phrases from CDs, often I cannot say those phrases at the same speed even if I replaced all syllables with "dadada" or "lalala". ie. they say "arigatou" faster than I can say "lalalalala". My tongue has never been asked to move that fast, not even with Cantonese tongue-twisters. I can actually hear Japanese fine, I just can't say it that fast, so I don't think it's a matter of unfamiliarity with the language.

And I find German slow, even though I'm not good at it.

Edited by smallwhite on 31 March 2011 at 6:38am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 20 of 20
31 March 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
My native language, Cantonese, is also syllable-timed, but I'm sure Spanish and Japanese, also syllable-timed, are spoken much faster than Cantonese.

But the Cantonese tones are like an extra phoneme in each syllable.

If we think of speed in terms the amount of information passed rather than the number of syllables, it might look very different....

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version