Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 9 of 20
28 March 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
cntrational wrote:
I've heard that fluent speakers of languages perceive pauses between
words that don't actually exist.

I can attest to that. My grandparents once told me that when they hear people speaking Spanish it sounds to
them like one long, endless word until the person stops speaking. I, on the other hand, disagree completely and
can clearly hear the breaks between all the words as if it were English. When you think about it, it really is just
one long stream of sounds and the pauses we hear between words are because we're familiar enough with these
sounds to intuitively divide them into individual lexical entities which appear to stand alone.

With that said, Spanish does sound faster to me than any of the other languages I'm familiar with, except maybe
Japanese.

Okay, now I feel much better. I caught maybe 75% of the words of that 1 hr Spanish newscast, but because of the
unknown words and breakneck speed over words that I know, I didn't piece everything together. Listening
comprehension is still weak for me because I haven't really practiced it so far, mostly focusing on reading and
writing.

Spanish certainly seems to be on the faster end of things from my perspective. Alongside Italian, Polish, Turkish,
Arabic, and Japanese. English, German, Chinese, Russian, Farsi, French, and Portuguese seem to be on the slower
end of the spectrum.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 20
28 March 2011 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
One element of the perceived speed of languages is how the language is timed. Broadly speaking, languages can be classified as "syllable-timed" or "stress-timed".

In a syllable-timed language, the underlying rhythm of the language is a steady beat, syllable after syllable. Languages like French and Spanish are syllable timed, hence the idea of "machine-gun" Spanish speech.

In a stress-timed language, the rhythm is the gap between stressed syllables. Unstressed syllables are then squeezed in between.

To a speaker of a stress-timed language, a syllable-timed language will seem faster than a stress-timed language, because the basic beat is faster.

Stress-timed languages have a slower beat, but when you have a lot of long words in a sentence, you have a lot of syllables and very few stresses, and the number of syllables per minute rises. So stress-timed languages are both faster and slower than syllable timed languages, depending on what you're saying....
7 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5180 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 11 of 20
28 March 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Besides wrong perceptions, and besides the fact that assessing speed between languages would have to rely on varying definitions of what a word is, I do think you could evaluate the same language over different territories and notice a difference in speed. For instance, French in Africa is probably not spoken as fast as in France, and you're likely to find variations within those territories.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5133 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 20
28 March 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
After I learned to speak Andalusian Spanish at their regular speed, my speed when I spoke Norwegian increased with aproximately 30%. A guy I once met told me that "The first time I heard you speak, I thought you were incredibly nervous, because you spoke so fast. And then I realized that that was your normal speed".

So yes, I would say that Spanish is spoken a lot faster than most other languages I know, and on the news they speak really fast, so don't feel bad if there were things you did not catch.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4921 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 13 of 20
29 March 2011 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
It seems to me that people from mainland China and especially Beijing speak impossibly slow. That's not meant
to be an insult by the way, I don't think speaking speed really matters. But it feels like they say only
4 words a second. And I've heard from them that people from Taiwan speak quite quickly. Maybe the fact that the
Mandarin of Taiwan has been spoken by native Taiwanese speakers for so many years has something to do with
it. I've noticed that I speak much faster in Mandarin than in English, it's like 8 words a second, but there are many
times that I stretch out the vowel of a word and it delays the rhythm for a second, so maybe that evens it out? It
seems this way to me with a lot of other Taiwanese people.

And I heard this theory... Well not really a theory, it's just a baseless assumption really. But anyways, apparently
people in hotter and more humid climates speak faster than people in colder and dryer climates? I don't know... I
don't really believe that :P

Edited by CheeseInsider on 29 March 2011 at 3:29am

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6051 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 14 of 20
29 March 2011 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
When I first got to Chile there were certain people I just didn't understand very well. As time went by, that number got smaller and smaller but there was this one lady who I just never could understand as well as the others. I moved to other parts of Chile and didn't see her for over a year. Before I left the country, I went to see her one last time. Interestingly enough, she sounded normal to me.

Different Spanish speakers speak at different rates. I don't necessarily think that Spanish is spoken any faster than English, as rule. I think our unfamiliarity with a language or variation of the language is often what gets in the way of understanding a native speakers.

Edited by portunhol on 29 March 2011 at 5:40am

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5617 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 15 of 20
29 March 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I have found something about this in the past.

Spanish Speaking
Speed

Read the 2nd part of the article for some useful info on it (Addendum).

Recently I've been trying to imitate my speaking in the same way that I've been hearing
Spanish in movies/dramas. It does sometimes sound like a continual stream of words
until the end (especially news broadcasters, I swear they get paid per word). The
longer I try to keep the 'flow', the more natural my Spanish seems to sound though.

I think this might be a question of prosody though. According to some non-native
speakers, English prosody tends to be quite jumpy (imagine like a continual mountain
range or a bunch of waves) whereas some languages (like Korean for the most part of the
sentence) can sound quite flat until they hit a key part of the sentence (Korean in the
verb ending).

Does anyone have any information on Spanish prosody? I'd be most interested in finding
out some details about it.

Edited by crafedog on 29 March 2011 at 7:26am

Nudimmud
Groupie
United States
Joined 4991 days ago

87 posts - 161 votes 
Studies: Greek, Korean

Message 16 of 20
30 March 2011 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I've tried to research this before and not been able to find any substantive studies about the relative speed at which various languages are spoken. Perhaps revealingly there used to be a wiki article on the subject but it was taken down due to lack of authoritative citations.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version