Joined 5464 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 41
15 April 2011 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
L2->L1 is a passive way of working.

I'm not keen on passive stuff anyway, for one simple reason: understanding does not
require 100% accuracy. Production does.

Are you sure about that? When I don't grasp every word I am listening to or reading I
am only ever sure I am getting the "gist" of what is being said, and quite often can
get away with it, but not always. The same is true with production: a great many times
I make mistakes when talking and writing, to the point that sometimes I am only really
getting across the gist of what I really want to say, sometimes it seems to be
sufficient and other times is not. So, both input and output seem to have tolerance for
inaccuracy, yet also are often intolerant to it.

Edited by Splog on 15 April 2011 at 6:22pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5093 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 10 of 41
15 April 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
... So, both input and output seem to have tolerance for

Yes, we foreigners must writing inaccurate always and still understand, you do? Course you do ..
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 41
15 April 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
L2->L1 is a passive way of working.

I'm not keen on passive stuff anyway, for one simple reason: understanding does not
require 100% accuracy. Production does.

Are you sure about that? When I don't grasp every word I am listening to or reading I
am only ever sure I am getting the "gist" of what is being said, and quite often can
get away with it, but not always. The same is true with production: a great many times
I make mistakes when talking and writing, to the point that sometimes I am only really
getting across the gist of what I really want to say, sometimes it seems to be
sufficient and other times is not. So, both input and output seem to have tolerance for

OK, you're right.

What I really mean is that comprehension of a sentence doesn't require 100% accurate perception of language points in it. This means that it is impossible for a teacher to check that the student has full perception of the language.

Production does not require 100% accuracy to be understood, but the teacher can measure accuracy of the actual language points.

And that's especially true of the self-teacher. Active production can be checked against an answer key, and because you have to produce all the elements, you prove you know they're there.

But if I read "I gave the bone to the dog", I don't need to percieve the word "to" in order to understand the full sentence. So how do I know whether I did or not?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 12 of 41
15 April 2011 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
But if I read "I gave the bone to the dog", I don't need to percieve the word "to" in order to understand the full sentence. So how do I know whether I did or not?

I am instantly reminded of Japanese students who hear and understand a sentence, and then proceed to repeat the sentence word for word, omitting every article in it.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6744 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 13 of 41
16 April 2011 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
But if I read "I gave the bone to the dog", I
don't need to percieve the word "to" in order to understand the full sentence. So how
do I know whether I did or not?

I am instantly reminded of Japanese students who hear and understand a sentence, and
then proceed to repeat the sentence word for word, omitting every article in it.

And I of myself, who might listen to the same German with Ease lesson twenty times and
think I know it like the back of my hand, but when it comes time to recite a line out
loud, will realize I can't produce the correct prepositions or adjective endings, and
have left out every reflexive pronoun!

I've learned the hard way through Assimil that no amount of passive listening/reading
in the world (after the two or three goes it takes for me to understand what's being
said) will make me produce a given text accurately, but focusing on accurate
production, on the other hand, will enable me to comprehend every word and syllable
clearly. That's why I favor active recall of parts of the text (in my case, with the
cloze deletion feature in Anki rather than full-on L1->L2 translation) over L2->L1
translation, which doesn't strike me as being a very efficient use of time (with all
due respect to Luca, who has obviously gotten fantastic results).

Sin_Nombre
United States
Joined 4930 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 14 of 41
16 April 2011 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
I think Luca's approach isn't just L2->L1, but rather L2->L1->L2.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5093 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 15 of 41
16 April 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Sin_Nombre wrote:
I think Luca's approach isn't just L2->L1, but rather L2->L1->L2.

Just to say what is obvious:
L2 <-> L1 <-> L2 <-> L1 ... is an excellent method, of course. Just do it.
(Exception: You don't understand at all what is going on. But then you cannot translate anyways.)
Translating from L2 to L1 is good, of course, and will in most cases be the necessary base for any further improvement, so do it! It does not mean you will never translate from L1 to L2, of course. (And it does not have to be your main focus, if you are afraid that it "hurts your neuronal network for further native fluency". But it increases your awareness of the finer difficulties and differences just in a similar way as translating from L1 to L2 forces you to use them in an active way.)

Edited by lingoleng on 16 April 2011 at 12:47pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 16 of 41
17 April 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
So what does this all say about monologue/dialogue based courses with limited exercises included in the system (which are by their nature more passive than active) - e.g. Assimil, Linguaphone, Living Language, Cortina? Not as useful as we all proclaim?

I have always used the Exercises in Assimil in a Michel Thomas type fashion and translated them from the start from L1 to L2. But even then, that is only 1 sentence of a type. I also write out functional structures on each 7 day from the words used in the preceeding weeks' lessons (e.g. My [son/wife/brother/sister] is [ill/away/at home] to give a simple example)- a trick used in Assimil Dutch and the 70-90s Linguaphones.

Edited by Elexi on 17 April 2011 at 9:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version