Triglot
United States
Joined 6470 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 9 of 37
05 May 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
It seems like the smaller the number of people who speak the language, the more likely the native speakers are to be friendly and accommodating. If you don't look like you would be apt to speak that language, the response becomes even more gratifying.
2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5275 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 10 of 37
05 May 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
In my experience, Russian people rarely get excited over a foreigner speaking their
language. Perhaps it is something to do with the sheer size of the country, the large
population, and the famed rudeness that Russians tend to show (by British standards, at
least) in public. I remember when I went to Moscow a couple of years ago and asked at
the airport train station if I could buy tickets for the metro there. It was a simple
enough sentence and I'm pretty sure I said it correctly, but the face of the woman at
the desk dropped a mile as soon as I started speaking, as if I had completely ruined
her day simply by being a foreigner speaking her language whom she would now have to
deal with.

In Japan, as has been well-documented, people will praise any foreigner who manages to
produce a single "konnichi wa" or "arigato". It is often said that when you learn to
speak Japanese more fluently, Japanese people become suspicious and uncomfortable, but
I have never found that to be the case. On the contrary, the praise just keeps on
coming as the level of fluency rises. However, foreigners should realize that the
Japanese like nothing more than to give empty compliments, and it is considered very
rude to accept these compliments with an "Oh thank you!" No matter how fluent your
Japanese is, you should always say something along the lines of "No, my Japanese is
still very poor."

EDIT: I'm off to Georgia in just under a week, and I've heard that Georgian people
love it when a foreigner speaks their language, so if this thread is still active then
I'll report back later.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 06 May 2011 at 1:18am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4892 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 11 of 37
23 May 2011 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
In my experience, people will not find you cool when you speak English because English native speakers are used to people from all over the world speaking their language.

Brazilians (for example) are not used to foreigners speaking their language, so they like it and tend to help anyone who is learning Portuguese. I can only remember one English speaker who helped me, whereas I do see many Brazilians helping Americans to speak Portuguese.

One year ago (not exactly one year), I was working at a store and I saw an Asian women. I thought she was Brazilian, because many of us have different heritages and I don't live in a touristic area. My English has always been very rusty because I'm not keen at languages. I remember that she came to me and said something in English, than I replied her and we talked for more or less thirty minutes. She was very happy because I was one of the two people who could handle an English conversation in the area. I worked in a place like a "Shopping Mall" with more than 40 stores. She told me that I was one of the two people who could talk to her. She was Vietnamese and was living in California. I'd like to know what she was doing here in my city, but maybe I was very shy to ask or I didn't think about that. I think the conversation was "warm" because English was not our native languages.

SamD
"It seems like the smaller the number of people who speak the language, the more likely the native speakers are to be friendly and accommodating."

It's not always true. I have a friend who was born speaking Portuguese and German (German from his father's family). He learnt Dutch to a conversational level and went to visit Germany and The Netherlands. He told me that nobody spoke to him in Dutch, they always replied in English. The funny thing is that my friend's English was worse than his Dutch. If you try to speak Portuguese you will realise that it's much more different, and we have more than 150 million speakers.

Edited by Matheus on 24 May 2011 at 9:03pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5275 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 12 of 37
24 May 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
So as an update, I went to Georgia and spoke lots of Georgian with lots of Georgian people and with varying degrees of complexity and success, and I can report that there wasn't really one single response that I received most often. Some people were pleased, others surprised, as in "Why on earth are you studying Georgian??", and others completely indifferent. Most people were kind enough to slow down their speech to help me understand, although for some reason in the three bookstores I visited I received good old Soviet-style service, full of contempt for the customer.

An interesting phenomenon was that whenever I showed the slightest sign of incomprehension, almost everyone immediately switched to Russian. I don't know whether this is because they simply didn't know any English, or because for Georgians "Foreign Language = Russian", or because they figure that anyone visiting Georgia must have at least some connection with Russia or the old USSR.

Anyway, in general more welcoming than Russia and more sincere than Japan.
5 persons have voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5679 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 13 of 37
26 May 2011 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon, thanks for the update. I was reading about Georgian the other day and it interested me a lot, although at the moment there's no way for me to start a new language. I appreciate such insights and it makes me feel even more convinced that sometimes smaller languages are worth it just for the praise and the help you get for learning it.

I myself can comment on this subject as I also have been studying a small language, Hungarian. Well, the natives are usually very welcoming and they get very impressed when they see that you have interest in their language. Any attempt to speak in Hungarian will get you their respects and they will be in most cases very willing to help you if you have any difficulties.

I think this makes a huge difference when you're learning a new language. With the last two languages I studied (English and German), I didn't have as much help as I'm having with Hungarian now and with those two I'd have to struggle with books and guides on my own, and this all makes your progress very limited, as you don't really practice them.

I also intend to learn other small languages in the future such as Welsh, Icelandic, Polish and perhaps even Georgian if I get my head around it, who knows. By the way, as Matheus said, Brazilian Portuguese is an exception of a not so small language, but which the natives are very helpful.
1 person has voted this message useful

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 14 of 37
26 May 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
When I speak Finnish to Finns, they talk to me like they would talk to anybody. No amazement or bewilderment or fascination or face lighting up with joy, barely any reaction at all. When they find out what country I'm from, then they do sometimes get curious and ask a question or two (and this is why I VERY rarely bring it up in conversation). But the special treatment ends there.

I may be the odd one out here, but I actually like it this way. I want to fit in, not be an anomaly... have a normal conversation like I would with friends. It's nice to hear the occasional compliment or have the occasional curious schoolgirl come asking questions, but I'm very thankful for the relaxed and almost non-existent response I get from these people.

I guess it depends on what you want out of language study. My ultimate goal is to fit in 100% and be indistinguishable from a native born speaker. With a language like Cantonese, you can't do that unless you yourself look like a Cantonese person, so you have to aim for some other goal.

Guests
Guest Group
Joined 7187 days ago

0 - 22 votes
Logged on

Message 15 of 37
31 May 2011 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
That is ture, the language intimacy is common in many places.If one go to a new place and he or she can speak the local lauguage very well he or she will be welcome and others would like to chat with her or him. On the contrary if he or she can not speak the local langauage he or she will be treated not so well, they can even face the discrimination. But in my opnion this phenominon will not be too obvious in the future as the urbanization and globalizaion people from all over the world have been flooding into the same places. SO a universal lauguage will form natually such as Chinese Manderin and English, so we do not have to learn the local accent contiously what we need to do is to have good command of the universal lauguage!

seldnar
United States
Joined 6943 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 16 of 37
31 May 2011 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
I can't say I always have a warm reaction--I've never had a cold reaction--when I speak
French in Paris but I've often found myself in conversations of up to thirty minutes
just
chatting about everything under the sun. This is not uncommon despite the fact that my
spoken French really is not that good (I read at pretty high level but speak at at
A2+/B1 level--the only practice I get is when I can take a one week vacation to
France).

I once went to a tea house and chatted with the French owner for at least 20 minutes.
When it came time to pay the bill for the food and pots of tea I'd had, he told me it
was
on the house.

Edited by seldnar on 31 May 2011 at 8:40am

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version